1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Torn between E-P5 and OM-D E-M10...Which to buy?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by billbooz, Feb 19, 2014.

1. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I won't be able to buy wither, probably, for another few weeks, but it was all set to go for the E-P5 since I didn't think I really cared about having a VF and I like the style of the PEN camera bodies. Then I watched a video review of the OM-D E-M10 and was surprised by the size and that, apparently, the VF/flash housing really doesn't stick up that much to be "in the way." I watched several more reviews (sorry there is no store nearby - Central VA, USA- where I can touch these cameras!) and now I'm questioning my thinking about purchasing the E-P5. I have a relatively new E-PL5 and like it very much, but always planned to upgrade.

Anyone with experience with either or both of these cameras?

Bill Booz
    http://www.infotor.com/blog

2. boncillo

boncillo New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    I have the same doubt. The e-m10 does not have low pass filter and also has the new TruePic vii, has a built-in viewefinder too.

The advantage of e-p5 is having 1/8000 shutter and a more retro look but nothing more..

Also the e-m10 is cheaper and comes with the new pancake zoom, it's a difficult decision..

3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Tough choice. Having gotten used to 8000 shutter speed myself, I'd have a hard time giving it up. I can shoot wide open in all but the brightest situations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    E-P5 also has 5-axis IBIS.

But, I still ordered the E-M10.
    For me, viewfinder, and dslr styling won me over.

Don't think you can really make a "bad" choice here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you shoot JPGs, the TruPic VII processor in the E-M10 makes a significant difference. It cleans up lens aberrations like CA extremely well (works with any and all lenses).

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Personally, would go for the EM10 -- the built-in EVF is a big factor for me.

7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Not too tough a choice IMO

1/8000 & 5axis vs. Builtin EVF & cleaned up JPEGs...
    realistically.. it's 1/8000s vs Builtin EVF...
    realistically some more.. RF.. vs dSLR look

if you use a VF.. simply choice.. otherwise get the PEN..
    I guess the 10 may hold it's value a bit more if you every wanted to sell it. that said. the EP-5 does hold its value well thus far.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    I noticed the point that "the e-m10 is cheaper and comes with the new pancake zoom, it's a difficult decision.." Doesn't
    the E-M10 come with the earlier 14-42 II, not the new pancake EZ lens. If I'm mistaken I'd be very pleased to be corrected,
    which would also influence my own decisions on the camera.

Thanks for responding.

Regarding the choice, I have the E-P5, which is a very capable camera, and appreciate the 5-axis stabilization, but many reviewers have expressed satisfaction with the E-M10's 3-axis version. Aesthetics and ergonomics might end up being the main concern, which makes it unfortunate that there are no stores around you where you could actually hold both cameras.
    I agree that the E-M10 might hold its value longer since it's newer and resembles three other current models, if you included the Stylus 1, and two of the three are recognizably respected bodies, which might add to their new sibling's broader appeal.

Robert

9. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Thanks, rjl1246 and LovinTheEP2! Yes, the 1/8000 sec shutter speed is nice, but, at least, I can still use wide open apertures with ND filter. Have to admit, the 5- vs 3-axis IBIS is something that I thought about, but am reading that the 3-axis works pretty darn well and heard in a review video by Jamie McDonald that the OM-D E-M10 actually does have 5-axis IBIS in video recording mode. Haven't confirmed that, but that would be pretty cool, as I really see its usefulness when shooting video (which, however, I haven't done much of so far).

I have been liking the PEN look, too, but, have to admit again, that the look of the OM-D E-M10 is kind of attractive as well. Having the built-in VF is becoming more and more attractive to me, though I read somewhere that the refresh rate with it is good but not as good as with the VF-4. I have never used an electronic VF - only optical ones on my Canon dSLRs - so not sure how big a factor that is. Anyone have an opinion on that?

10. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    E-P5, low pass filter has almost no effect in just about every 1:1 RAW comparison.

The E-P5 lets you get the amazing VF-4 and 5 axis which is critical.

11. boncillo

boncillo New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    At least in my country, Spain, the pack "e-m10 + 14-42 EZ ->799€".

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've seen this repeated a few times, but I've yet to see any mention by Olympus of this fact. If it is the case, why haven't they mentioned it?

Right, but the poster is in the US, where such a kit is not advertised. We get the E-M10 + 14-42 II R for $799.

13. emmef2

emmef2 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    Italia
    I have an E-P5 since december, upgrading from an E-PL2 and I can only praise the E-P5 for its speed, functionality and capability. I can tell you that the dual command dials make really a difference in usability when compared to the E-PL models
    With that said, I believe, the E-M10 provides, at least on paper, with a very high price/quality ratio that is hard to beat.
    If you are not going to miss the 5 axis IBIS, the chance to put a better EVF and the stylish look of the E-P5 you can save some money and go with the E-M10

14. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Yes, agreed, dhazeghi. If the new pancake 14-42mm kit came with it, that'd be very sweet! Someone just posted on G+ that the viewfinder in OM-D E-M10 is equivalent to the VF-2. Is the performance of the VF-4 significantly better than the VF-2? If one of my reasons for opting for the OM-D E-M10 is its having a VF, then I'd, at least, like it to be up to par with what I could get after market with the E-P5!

15. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Thanks for that perspective, emmef2! Good thoughts. I guess one way to look at it is the OM-D E-M10 does, at least, have a VF if I want to use it, whereas the E-P5 does not unless I want to spend an additional $175-200 to add one. So, if I didn't often use the OM-D E-M10's VF and used the LCD most of the time, then either camera is "almost" equal, except for the obvious differences, such as IBIS and max shutter speed differences.

16. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The VF-2 is a decent EVF, but the VF-4 and the EVF that is in the E-M1 are substantially better (larger, better color, resolution and refresh rate). Still, I find the VF-2 and the EVF in the E-M5 plenty usable and in my opinion, moreso than the EVFs in the Sony NEX-7, and Fuji X-E1/X-E2 (but I have a compatibility issue between my eyes and OLED EVFs apparently)

17. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    The E-M10 also has an extended "low" ISO, which is supposed to be ISO 100 or 125 or so. That at least partly makes up for a max 1/4000 shutter speed.

18. boncillo

boncillo New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    I also read that the viewfinder of the e-m10 has auto brightness sensor and a mode with twice the fps that the e-m5, i dont know if it's true.

19. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Just to be clear, the E-P5 has this setting as well.

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The VF-4 is definitely nicer (bigger, crisper), but I think the VF-2/E-M5/E-M10 is still wholly adequate. If you want better, you have to pay (E-P5 = $800, VF-4 = $250, kit lens not included). Remember that the E-P5 + VF4 is not a slick integrated unit like the E-M10 - the VF sticks out quite a bit too (combined, it's taller than the E-M1).