Topaz Studio 2

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Anyone using Topaz Studio 2 on a Mac? If so, does it run reasonably well? And, will it play nicely with Apple's Photos of Affinity Photo? In general what do you think of the program? Lots of questions because I am thinking about purchasing this program for special uses. Thanks in advance!
GQR

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone using Topaz Studio 2 on a Mac? If so, does it run reasonably well? And, will it play nicely with Apple's Photos of Affinity Photo? In general what do you think of the program? Lots of questions because I am thinking about purchasing this program for special uses. Thanks in advance!
GQR
Ok, I am updating my own post. I went ahead and downloaded the trial version of Topaz Studio 2 on my Mac. Just in case anyone else is wondering if it is possible to use it with Photos and Affinity Photo the answer is yes it can. Photos requires to have the program External Editors installed to work with Topaz. It works very well too. There is a video for getting Topaz to work with Affinity Photo. It is a little more involved but basically uses the Photoshop extensions. Having used Topaz last night, I have found it so far to be free of bugs, crashes, etc. And, it is a fun program to use. Just my initial thoughts.
GQR

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Just to mention, I use Topaz Studio 2 on a Windows computer. I usually use Corel PaintShop Pro (PSP) as my editor, but also have Affinity Photo. I routinely use Topaz Studio in plugin mode, running it from within PSP. It runs fine that way, so I should think that any program that can use Adobe-compatible plugins should work OK with Studio 2. Only wrinkle is that some plugins require LAYERS. For example, Irfanview cannot run SOME Topaz plugins because Irfan does not have layers and the plugin complains about it and won't run. I don't use Studio 2 much as a stand-alone because PSP is better as an editor and I'm just used to it.

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
I am using Topaz Studio 2, running it as a plugin in Affinity Photo or PhotoLine. TS2 tends to emphasize tools allowing "artistic" changes to an image rather than the conventional adjustments of a standard photo editor. It can be a lot of fun. Within TS2 you can also run the Topaz Labs AI apps: Adjust AI, DeNoise AI, Mask AI and Sharpen AI, but it will not run the older Topaz plugins.

Unlike the original version of Topaz Studio, TS2 does not do layers, which is why I use it as a plugin. Topaz Labs promises layers will be coming, but it seems their priority has been bringing other new AI products to market to increase the revenue stream.

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
My trial with Topaz Studio 2 is just about up. All in all the program is impressive with lots of creative looks and filters. It also does basic processing very well too. It worked flawlessly with my Panasonic G9 raw files. I have not been able to get it to play nice with Affinity Photo. From Affinity Photo I can access the basic tools but no looks and limited filters work. As for it working with ACDSee Studio Mac 6 no problems at all. I will be purchasing TS2 when my trial ends as it is a worthwhile program.
GQR

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Version 1.8.3.180 Beta runs Topaz Studio 2 and Topaz Adjust AI, Sharpen AI, DeNoise AI and Mask AI perfectly.
I am using version 1.8.3 Will have to try the Beta I guess.
Thanks for the tip.
GQR

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Within TS2 you can also run the Topaz Labs AI apps: Adjust AI, DeNoise AI, Mask AI and Sharpen AI, but it will not run the older Topaz plugins.
True. However, as a side note, Affinity Photo will run the Topaz legacy plugins...which makes AFP a great choice for a host program, particularly since it's so cost-effective.

AFP 1.8.3.641 seems to invoke TS2 2.1.1 ok afaik. Haven't tested newer TS2 versions. With Topaz updates of late I've adopted the "if it isn't broken, don't update it" policy.

Last edited:

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
True. However, as a side note, Affinity Photo will run the Topaz legacy plugins...which makes AFP a great choice for a host program, particularly since it's so cost-effective.

AFP 1.8.3.641 seems to invoke TS2 2.1.1 ok afaik. Haven't tested newer TS2 versions.
According to the Affinity Forum, 1.8.3.641 is the current release in the Mac app store for Windows, while the present release for the Mac platform is 1.8.3. Mac 1.8.3.180 Beta has been submitted to the Mac app store. I'm on an iMac, so I've had no experience with the current Windows version.

I'm with you on the Topaz updates. Their seemingly constant reminders about updates drive me crazy!

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I went ahead and purchased Topaz Studio 2 as I found it very useful. I have not yet been able get it to work with Affinity Photo but it works nicely with ACDsee Studio 6 Mac. Ai Clear I find very useful but I found it is best to use it first on an image rather than the last in a workflow as it can slightly change the color of an image. Still learning the program as I use it.
GQR

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Ai Clear I find very useful but I found it is best to use it first on an image rather than the last in a workflow as it can slightly change the color of an image. Still learning the program as I use it.
GQR
I think that it is just about always recommended that noise reduction be used very early in any editing sequence, regardless of the software being used. Even, for example, if you are editing a raw file and then moving on to a regular editor for additional work. I often do some minor editing in Raw Therapee, including noise reduction and some sharpening, and then save the image to 24-bit tif and then open it in PainstShop Pro and do more work, including sometimes more noise reduction with Topaz tools if necessary (and again, early on for that additional noise reduction).

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
My workflow is typically:

--Start and end in Photoshop

--Studio & Studio 2 for creative expansion

--Corel Painter if I can't get what I want from Studio/2 & PS

I'm quite smitten with Studio and Studio 2. Wish I would have had these long ago.

One small negative. I'm typing this from a laptop with integrated graphics, and I can't run either Studio or Studio 2 on this puppy, although I can run PS CC just fine. This is a very CPU/RAM intensive program and will run quite slowly without a dedicated graphics card.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom