Topaz just released DeNoise AI

All sales have end dates and the trials do not have price lock-in, so that is hardly bait-switch. If you email sales I'd say there is a good chance they might still give you the sale price, but it's really your failure for not keeping up with it.
I don't know what business you are in,but if you operate that way,you could improve customer satisfaction by not appearing to practice bait and switch tactics and holding customers to the fine print.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
I don't know what business you are in,but if you operate that way,you could improve customer satisfaction by not appearing to practice bait and switch tactics and holding customers to the fine print.
I don't think he's off base. The sale had a deadline and you waited too long.

Have you looked around for a promo code? Called support to ask for the introductory price as he suggested?

FWIW, I've run dozens of pictures through DN AI, and I'm super happy with it.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
You missed this one, too, but they have them often for those that stay on top of things.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
There's the issue; you're using an integrated - not dedicated - GPU. If you plan to use your computer for GPU-intensive tasks, e.g. video encoding, machine learning (or AI applications such as this), or gaming, you'll need a dedicated graphics card.
I updated my graphics to a Radeon RX570/4G for $129. The resultant speedup for the AI apps is mind-blowing and the 3DMark benchmark went from 675 to 3675. The AIDN preview update for a 12MP image is now ~3-4 secs. Full save is less than a minute. Happy camper!

iLumix

Mu-43 Regular
Can somebody who is proficient in DeNoise AI post some sort of workflow?

I'm confused.

Say I have a RAW image. So I understand (from reading) that this should be run through the DeNoise software before doing any edits in Lightroom. So then what? It's saved as a .tiff and then back to Lightroom for some other post processing. Just not sure I get it.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Can somebody who is proficient in DeNoise AI post some sort of workflow?

I'm confused.

Say I have a RAW image. So I understand (from reading) that this should be run through the DeNoise software before doing any edits in Lightroom. So then what? It's saved as a .tiff and then back to Lightroom for some other post processing. Just not sure I get it.
You can install it as a plug in so you use it from within LR (as I understand it). I use Affinity Photo. I do the basic adjustments in the Develop module, bring it over to the Photos module, run the Denoise AI plug in, and then finish my edits.

iLumix

Mu-43 Regular
You can install it as a plug in so you use it from within LR (as I understand it). I use Affinity Photo. I do the basic adjustments in the Develop module, bring it over to the Photos module, run the Denoise AI plug in, and then finish my edits.
I guess I'm not understanding how this software works with a RAW files.

Example: I have a RAW file in Lightroom and do adjustments and THEN bring it into DeNoise and after that save as a .tiff?

Topaz says this...

5.) When should I use DeNoise AI in my workflow?
For best results, you should used DeNoise AI at the very beginning of your editing process. We've found removing noise as a first step is not only beneficial for the workflow that comes after, but also because removing noise after most of the editing process is completed may deliver unexpected results as it tries to process the various edits adjustments in your image.
So once again...since I'm dealing with a RAW file (for a reason) doesn't editing the file after running through DeNoise reduce my ability to recover shadows etc. since I would now be editing a .tiff file?

o_O

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel

Example: I have a RAW file in Lightroom and do adjustments and THEN bring it into DeNoise and after that save as a .tiff?

Topaz says this...

So once again...since I'm dealing with a RAW file (for a reason) doesn't editing the file after running through DeNoise reduce my ability to recover shadows etc. since I would now be editing a .tiff file?

o_O
Are you using TDNai as a plug-in to Lightroom?

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
I find the only practical work-flow for me is to do all Raw processing first, export to Tiff, then run AIDN with the Tiff as input and work downstream from there.

Real Name
Richard
I find the only practical work-flow for me is to do all Raw processing first, export to Tiff, then run AIDN with the Tiff as input and work downstream from there.
I do any processing but try denoise AI before I do any sharpening or noise reduction in Lightroom.

Denoise AI is not a panacea, I find that occasionally it can treat things like pylons/wires as object borders and decide not to denoise stuff that is contained within, ie, encircled by the wires. Sometimes Lightroom's dumb version gives better results.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Your friend in selective sharpening and denoise is photoshop's select menu, using select > focus area

or the primary background colour using seelct > colour range

or with a more complex version using contrast masks from a single colour channel with the most contrast, then compressing it to a more binary black/white layer as described here:

https://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/blog/18259/photoshops-contrast-masks-help-isolate-highlights-shadows/

Sometimes select subject works, but for anything other than eg lightbox product photography you are probably best off not bothering.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Denoise AI is not a panacea...
I use it in conjunction with legacy DN6 depending on the image and noise-type. Also, sometimes AI-Clear mode works better than AI-Denoise mode (again, depending on the image).

iLumix

Mu-43 Regular
Are you using TDNai as a plug-in to Lightroom?
I will be If I decide to get DeNoisec. Guess I should just get the trial and try it. I was Just wondering About doing adjustments after using DeNoise which seems take away the advantages of shooting RAW.

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
Unfortunately I can’t change it out on my laptop so I’ll be happy with AI Clear.
Does your laptop have a thunderbolt port? I used to use a external GPU case when I was at home to address this very problem. I've since upgraded to a desktop at home but this worked well for nearly two years.

iLumix

Mu-43 Regular

Topaz says this...

5.) When should I use DeNoise AI in my workflow?
For best results, you should used DeNoise AI at the very beginning of your editing process. We've found removing noise as a first step is not only beneficial for the workflow that comes after, but also because removing noise after most of the editing process is completed may deliver unexpected results as it tries to process the various edits adjustments in your image.

o_O
So none of you experts have an opinion/experience to answer to this question?

iLumix

Mu-43 Regular
Non expert here.

I do my edits in Lightroom on the raw file, making sure I don't sharpen the image.

Then I send it to Denoise AI, it does its thing, then it comes back as a TIF.
Thanks.
I think that is the way to go. Seems editing a .tiff file after the fact removes a lot of the advantages to shooting RAW in the first place.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Thanks.
I think that is the way to go. Seems editing a .tiff file after the fact removes a lot of the advantages to shooting RAW in the first place.
Of course, you do understand that LR is not passing Raw data to the plugin? (in this case AIDN). Because LR stores it's editing changes as parametric data in a side-car file...which AIDN cannot read. So, the file is being converted anyway (on the way down, to a Tiff; that's why it comes back as a Tiff). Not sure where you got the idea that using a Tiff negates the benefit of shooting Raw because really...it doesn't. And in this case, you are not "staying in Raw" if that is what you're thinking (not after you go outside of LR).

Last edited:

iLumix

Mu-43 Regular
And in this case, you are not "staying in Raw" if that is what you're thinking (not after you go outside of LR).
Thanks @JLGF1

That was exactly my point. If I send the file from LR unedited and then it comes back as a .tiff then I would be losing the ability to take advantage of all the data that was captured in the RAW file in the first place and maybe unable to have better editing power in the shadows for example. So to me editing in LR first and then sending to AIDN would be the best of all worlds. The thing that confused me is Topaz saying to run the file through AIDN first...

Are you saying that when the file comes bak as a .tiff that all the data that was in the RAW file would still be there and be able to be edited in LR just like a RAW file? Do you edit ion LR before sending to AIDN?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom