Topaz just released DeNoise AI

Lawrence Beck

Mu-43 Regular
For those who own Topaz DeNoise, the most comprehensive and adjustable noise reduction software that has unfortunately been treated as the red headed stepchild to DXO Noise Prime, a new AI version has just been released. Link here: DeNoise AI – Topaz Labs
I just received the email from Topaz and haven't yet had time to test it, but if it's anything like Gigapixel AI or Sharpen AI it should revolutionize noise reduction software. It's a free upgrade for those who currently own Topaz DeNoise.
I've learned to withhold judgement on any initial release of Topaz software as these are generally beta versions that Topaz releases early to generate user input.
As of late I've been looking for user feedback on Gigapixel AI and Sharpen AI and the best source for informed reviews are at the luminous-landscape.com website. The information found on many recent threads not only points out the program's shortcomings (with resepect to the AI program needs for GPU's with more than 2gb vram for optimum results) but also how to get best results and how to avoid aliasing when using Sharpen AI.
Topaz has been quick to update their recent releases after receiving user feedback. I'm stoked beyond words to see this new release as it promises to give us a little more breathing room with our m43 sensors.

Last edited:
I've been using Topaz AI Clear for a while now.
It really does a great job on noise and sharpening with one click.
They are really doing a great job with these AI products.

Just checked my email and the AI Denoise is free to Topaz Denoise and AI clear owners.
Downloaded and installed it, it seems to work well and is an upgrade from AI clear as you can now control the sharpness. It also shows up as a plugin choice in photoshop!

Last edited:

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
Just tested this out on a 1600 iso noisy image and it works great. Highly recommended. Had a person in a suit with chroma noise looking really bad and it cleaned it up. Also cleaned up some background noise in the image. Have noticed that like most noise reduction software that if you push it too far you start to get some artifacts. But it is very good. Don't really have anything to compare it to so suggest download trial and give it a go.
Very simple user interface only 3 slider, noise, sharpen and Detail.

runner girl

Mu-43 Veteran
I downloaded too. It takes forever to process but looks to have promise. It is sort of annoying that it works like a plug-in for the Topaz Studio plug-in. It would be much easier to use if it were part of the Pro adjustments like AI Clear. I’ve never been able to get AI Sharpen to work in Studio, LR, or PS. I guess this will motivate me to contact support. I like their products but the user interface is not intuitive (to me, at least) or consistent.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Yes, that is where the DeNoise AI is but not Sharpen AI.
They both work ok for me as a legacy PS plug-in in both Studio and Affinity Photo.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Any chance you could do a comparison(s) of the native NR in Affinity vs the Topaz plug in?
I don't have much doubt that DeNoise-AI would come out ahead as I preferred even DeNoise-Legacy and/or AI-Clear over any NR I could do with AFP. Both DeNoise-Legacy and AI-Clear are less time-consuming than the new AI-DeNoise. TLabs thinks AI-DeNoise is superior over AI-Clear, but I think it's too early to tell and it may be image dependent.

Re: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review

However, a [slight] downside of DeNoise-AI is the amount of GPU computation needed (ie time-consuming) for final output. It's not nearly as intensive as AI-Sharpen but that's not saying much as AI-Sharpen really needs a fast GPU to make it manageable (too slow on my generic GPU).

You can download the new DeNoise-AI from their web-site and try it out for 30 days. Here is an example I was playing around with earlier today.

Last edited:

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just trialled "AI Clear" and liked the results... Now I'm getting a bit confused with all the Topaz "AI" plugins (AI Denoise, AI Sharpen?) and adjustments (AI Clear?)

Guess I'll run the trial for AI denoise and find out what the differences are... :)

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
AI-Clear was the first AI-* tool and followed the trend of deploying within Studio. However, the rest of the AI-* tools have backtracked on that and went back to (stand-alone+PS plug-in) for reasons that are not entirely clear.

Lawrence Beck

Mu-43 Regular
I've been running tests with DeNoise AI vs Topaz Denoise 6 and NIk Dfine as I have both of these programs readily available. DeNoise absolutely crushes any other noise reduction program. I've tested them all against Topaz DeNoise 6 and the difference between any "apparent" superiority of DXO Prime was not visible in prints on the cotton rag papers I use.
Here is an iso 25,600 shot of a Bird of Paradise detail. First I'm posting the original image, converted from tif to jpg. Next is a shot of the File Information so you can see the camera, lens, shutter speed, aperture and iso used. Last will be the shot after being run through DeNoise Ai followed by Sharpen AI. Keep in mind that this is not a 6400 iso shot. It is a 25,600 iso shot underexposed by at least half a stop since the highest iso available iso with my EM5 Mk2 is 25,600. So this image, in effect, is essentially at least a 35,000 iso sample. Look at these samples at full size for best results. Why not torture test the program to see where it's limitations lie? So far I haven't found any at 1/2 to a full stop of underexposure at the highest iso setting on my camera. (If I were to print this image I'd add a bit of noise.)

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ah, I just realized that owners of the original Topaz Denoise (I bought the Topaz suite ages ago) qualify for a free update to "Denoise AI".
How neat! :)
(of course Lawrence mentioned that in his original post … … :rolleyes-38: )

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
That looks pretty impressive. I've downloaded a trial version for evaluation.
For reference, what settings did you use in DeNoise AI for this image? What difference did Sharpen AI make to the DeNoised image? Could you post just the DeNoised image.

Edit: this is in response to Lawrence and the bird of paradise photo.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Ah, I just realized that owners of the original Topaz Denoise (I bought the Topaz suite ages ago) qualify for a free update to "Denoise AI".
If your Topaz suite purchase included InFocus you are also entitled to a free Sharpen-AI license. If you didn't get a prior email all you should need to do is email support and they will check the purchase history and make the necessary DB updates.

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If your Topaz suite purchase included InFocus you are also entitled to a free Sharpen-AI license. If you didn't get a prior email all you should need to do is email support and they will check the purchase history and make the necessary DB updates.
It does indeed. Very cool! :) Thanks for the info!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom