1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Topaz just released DeNoise AI

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Lawrence Beck, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Lawrence Beck

Lawrence Beck Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2018
    For those who own Topaz DeNoise, the most comprehensive and adjustable noise reduction software that has unfortunately been treated as the red headed stepchild to DXO Noise Prime, a new AI version has just been released. Link here: DeNoise AI – Topaz Labs
    I just received the email from Topaz and haven't yet had time to test it, but if it's anything like Gigapixel AI or Sharpen AI it should revolutionize noise reduction software. It's a free upgrade for those who currently own Topaz DeNoise.
    I've learned to withhold judgement on any initial release of Topaz software as these are generally beta versions that Topaz releases early to generate user input.
    As of late I've been looking for user feedback on Gigapixel AI and Sharpen AI and the best source for informed reviews are at the luminous-landscape.com website. The information found on many recent threads not only points out the program's shortcomings (with resepect to the AI program needs for GPU's with more than 2gb vram for optimum results) but also how to get best results and how to avoid aliasing when using Sharpen AI.
    Topaz has been quick to update their recent releases after receiving user feedback. I'm stoked beyond words to see this new release as it promises to give us a little more breathing room with our m43 sensors.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Rob Rider

Rob Rider Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Tucson Arizona
    I've been using Topaz AI Clear for a while now.
    It really does a great job on noise and sharpening with one click.
    They are really doing a great job with these AI products.

Just checked my email and the AI Denoise is free to Topaz Denoise and AI clear owners.
    Downloaded and installed it, it seems to work well and is an upgrade from AI clear as you can now control the sharpness. It also shows up as a plugin choice in photoshop!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  3. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    Just tested this out on a 1600 iso noisy image and it works great. Highly recommended. Had a person in a suit with chroma noise looking really bad and it cleaned it up. Also cleaned up some background noise in the image. Have noticed that like most noise reduction software that if you push it too far you start to get some artifacts. But it is very good. Don't really have anything to compare it to so suggest download trial and give it a go.
    Very simple user interface only 3 slider, noise, sharpen and Detail.

4. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I downloaded too. It takes forever to process but looks to have promise. It is sort of annoying that it works like a plug-in for the Topaz Studio plug-in. It would be much easier to use if it were part of the Pro adjustments like AI Clear. I’ve never been able to get AI Sharpen to work in Studio, LR, or PS. I guess this will motivate me to contact support. I like their products but the user interface is not intuitive (to me, at least) or consistent.

5. Rob Rider

Jan 29, 2019
    Tucson Arizona
    When you are in photoshop look in the filter menu it should be there

6. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    It is there but PS crashes every time I try to use it and it is no where in Studio. I did finally get it in LR...

7. Rob Rider

Jan 29, 2019
    Tucson Arizona
    I
    There is a plug-in tab at the top of the main page in studio where you will find it

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Yes, that is where the DeNoise AI is but not Sharpen AI.

9. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    Jerry
    They both work ok for me as a legacy PS plug-in in both Studio and Affinity Photo.

AIS.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Studio-AIS.JPG

10. gwydionjhr

gwydionjhr Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Joel
    Any chance you could do a comparison(s) of the native NR in Affinity vs the Topaz plug in?

11. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    It even works as a plugin for Corel paintshop. No issues at all.

12. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    Jerry
    I don't have much doubt that DeNoise-AI would come out ahead as I preferred even DeNoise-Legacy and/or AI-Clear over any NR I could do with AFP. Both DeNoise-Legacy and AI-Clear are less time-consuming than the new AI-DeNoise. TLabs thinks AI-DeNoise is superior over AI-Clear, but I think it's too early to tell and it may be image dependent.

Re: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review

However, a [slight] downside of DeNoise-AI is the amount of GPU computation needed (ie time-consuming) for final output. It's not nearly as intensive as AI-Sharpen but that's not saying much as AI-Sharpen really needs a fast GPU to make it manageable (too slow on my generic GPU).

You can download the new DeNoise-AI from their web-site and try it out for 30 days. Here is an example I was playing around with earlier today.

AIDN-zoom-200.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  13. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I just trialled "AI Clear" and liked the results... Now I'm getting a bit confused with all the Topaz "AI" plugins (AI Denoise, AI Sharpen?) and adjustments (AI Clear?)

Guess I'll run the trial for AI denoise and find out what the differences are... :) 

14. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    Jerry
    AI-Clear was the first AI-* tool and followed the trend of deploying within Studio. However, the rest of the AI-* tools have backtracked on that and went back to (stand-alone+PS plug-in) for reasons that are not entirely clear.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Lawrence Beck

Lawrence Beck Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2018
    I've been running tests with DeNoise AI vs Topaz Denoise 6 and NIk Dfine as I have both of these programs readily available. DeNoise absolutely crushes any other noise reduction program. I've tested them all against Topaz DeNoise 6 and the difference between any "apparent" superiority of DXO Prime was not visible in prints on the cotton rag papers I use.
    Here is an iso 25,600 shot of a Bird of Paradise detail. First I'm posting the original image, converted from tif to jpg. Next is a shot of the File Information so you can see the camera, lens, shutter speed, aperture and iso used. Last will be the shot after being run through DeNoise Ai followed by Sharpen AI. Keep in mind that this is not a 6400 iso shot. It is a 25,600 iso shot underexposed by at least half a stop since the highest iso available iso with my EM5 Mk2 is 25,600. So this image, in effect, is essentially at least a 35,000 iso sample. Look at these samples at full size for best results. Why not torture test the program to see where it's limitations lie? So far I haven't found any at 1/2 to a full stop of underexposure at the highest iso setting on my camera. (If I were to print this image I'd add a bit of noise.)

_4180002Orig.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 11.10.27 PM.png

_4180002-denoise 1 1 30stabilize6060.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  16. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Ah, I just realized that owners of the original Topaz Denoise (I bought the Topaz suite ages ago) qualify for a free update to "Denoise AI".
    How neat! :) 
    (of course Lawrence mentioned that in his original post … … :rolleyes-38: )

17. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 12, 2012
    UK
    Steve Douglas
    That looks pretty impressive. I've downloaded a trial version for evaluation.
    For reference, what settings did you use in DeNoise AI for this image? What difference did Sharpen AI make to the DeNoised image? Could you post just the DeNoised image.

Edit: this is in response to Lawrence and the bird of paradise photo.

18. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    Jerry
    If your Topaz suite purchase included InFocus you are also entitled to a free Sharpen-AI license. If you didn't get a prior email all you should need to do is email support and they will check the purchase history and make the necessary DB updates.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    It does indeed. Very cool! :)  Thanks for the info!!

20. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    Jerry
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.