Topaz Gigapixel AI vs. Olympus Handheld High Res.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I'm with @RichardC on this one. Basically they are charging quite a lot for an application that performs just one task (not just Gigapixel either). If you pay annually for the upgrades, what improvements do you get to the core function of image resizing in Gigapixel AI? Lots of bug fixes, UI tweaks etc. but no fundamental improvements to the core functionality of the app i.e. image resizing.

I did trial it and found it to be pretty effective in creating upsized images. However, right now, I don't need to print anything really big (or upsize older low res images) and chose not to purchase. YMMV.

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I think it's unbelievable that you can't just resize, but you have to apply noise reduction even when it is adjusted to minimum "0".

After all the program is for resizing, not for noise reduction. This ruins the photos especially when it applies it to different parts and not to other parts, based on "AI" I guess.

Currently it's unusable for me. The resizing job is astonishing in itself, just wonder why they ruin their own program like this.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Since the weather still sucks here I had time to play around with all sorts of AI SW. I tried to find an image with the most challenging details possible and check how well AI upscaling and AI denoise works. So here comes.

Original is 5200*2904 (20MP) image shot with Leica 12-60 so it should have all the detail to start with
Original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lets make the smallest possible crop 1032*775 from the original RAW file (no processing whatsoever). It should not even fill the full width of this frame.
Cropped original.jpg

Let's AI upscale the original image by 150% (7800*5856 = 45MP), run it through AI Denoise and crop the same area which is now 1508*1133 and see if any of these fine details were lost.
Croped AI.jpg

In my opinion the result is great but I need to upgrade to 10 000€ PC if I want to use this process on a regular basis. Most dramatic improvement still comes from AI Denoise but if the cropped area just doesn't have enough pixels to be usable, this can be corrected with AI Upscaling to a point. As usual, original image must be technically good for AI to work properly.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom