Topaz Gigapixel AI vs. Olympus Handheld High Res.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I thought he should have used the auto-generated single shot created by the high-res mode for the upscaling. I know panasonic's high res shot has that feature. That eliminates any chance that he might have focused differently on the different shots. He might have slightly front focused on the initial first shot, which would lead to the gigapixel upscaled shot having the sharper bottom corner.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
One of my issues with the test was that none of the photos were edited (Usually a good thing for fairness), but RAW Hi-Res usually takes sharpening really well, so the sharpness of the Hi-Res images could’ve been a lot stronger.

That said, Gigapixel AI does work really well, and the lack of motion blur is a significant advantage.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
So... Donwloaded the software and tried it on 2-3 photos. It seems to work pretty well but it did crash many times too. Too many that I'd pay $100 for it. Maybe at a half price I might consider buying. I compared the 2x upscaled photos to original ones in multiple ways and the ones that were processed with the Gigapixel did have more detail and sharpness than the originals (even when I first upscaled to 2x and then resized back to original size).

My short summary is that: yes, it works but not that well that I'd pay the full price they ask for it.

EDIT: There should be more settings to play with. And the two sliders that control the blur & noise didn't seem to affect the outcome that much. There's potential but they still have much to do.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
So... Donwloaded the software and tried it on 2-3 photos. It seems to work pretty well but it did crash many times too. Too many that I'd pay $100 for it. Maybe at a half price I might consider buying. I compared the 2x upscaled photos to original ones in multiple ways and the ones that were processed with the Gigapixel did have more detail and sharpness than the originals (even when I first upscaled to 2x and then resized back to original size).

My short summary is that: yes, it works but not that well that I'd pay the full price they ask for it.

EDIT: There should be more settings to play with. And the two sliders that control the blur & noise didn't seem to affect the outcome that much. There's potential but they still have much to do.
I tried it out on a number of photos and found it to work pretty well. I did not experience a single crash running it on my Windows 10 machine. Windows, and I think crucially, my GPU drivers are fully up to date.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I tried it out on a number of photos and found it to work pretty well. I did not experience a single crash running it on my Windows 10 machine. Windows, and I think crucially, my GPU drivers are fully up to date.
Well, to be honest, I tried it in a VMware virtual machine so that might have caused the crashing issues.

Real Name
Roel
I’m also testing GigaPixel and do like the results on the first few images (no crashes, running Windows 10). But I am still not sure if it would bring enough benefit vs the additional steps in my workflow.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Read the fine print on Topaz licences.

For example. With Denoise AI you get free updates for a year. Not bad, except they have just released an update having not touched the software for a year.

My version of Denoise AI isn't exactly what I'd call the finished article.

My upgrade plan expired on 10th September. They want me to pay $49.00 to 'upgrade' to ver 2.3 which came out on the 22nd September.

Version 2.3 is largely made up of fixes to bugs in the previous version 2.2.12 which was released a full YEAR ago.

At least with Photoshop, it's clear you are buying a subscription model from the outset.

Topaz, IMO, are taking the p***, and I will avoid them in future.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@RichardC & @retiredfromlife I find that the up-size algorithms in Photoshop work at least as well as others, and (far) better than most I have seen.
The main problem is for me at my age, I will never live long enough to be able to learn PhotoShop, but I could learn Topaz if I could afford it.

The main problem is for me at my age, I will never live long enough to be able to learn PhotoShop, but I could learn Topaz if I could afford it.
While I agree, and I've been using PS for about 15 years, and probably use about 1,000th of its capabilities (or less), it does not take much to learn the basics.

Two books I highly recommend are:

Scott Kelby "7-Point System for Adobe Photoshop"
(The only one of Kelby's books I recommend ... ).

And:

Schewe and Fraser "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5" (actually applies to all versions of Bridge and ACR).

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Real Name
Roel
To be honest, for a software product without an subscription I do think it’s logical to provide bug fixes and functional fixes (e.g. extra graphic card support) but hold of shiny new functionality for the next yearly release.

Keep updating the software with new features during the year just would not make any business sense (why would those users buy the upgrade?).
So I would not expect the see many new features when I buy a product on a yearly license model.

The other model, monthly subscription, take away this problem but result in that you need to keep paying even if the new features are not relevant.
But if you want the latest and greatest features of some software application both models practically have the same financial impact. One paid monthly and one with a yearly upgrade.

Benefit of upgrade pricing model is that you can always decided that the current feature set is enough (and stop upgrading), benefit from the subscription model is that a company can release new features anytime during a year. So both have there pros and cons.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have found one serious problem with the Gigapixel AI. Even if I put the slider for "Supress noise" all the way to 0, it still happens.

The worst thing is that some parts of the image are still turning to "painterly" and some don't have the noise gone in similar way.

Otherwise it works wonders, but I really don't understand the idea behind this.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Another thing that wasn’t mentioned is that there’s more benefit’s than just sharpness from Hi-Res. Noise performance and (I‘ve read but never tested) dynamic range are also improved.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom