Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI Comparison

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been shooting an old Dimage 7 along with an IR filter looking to get the light foliage and darker sky in B&W. Since the camera is only 5.2MP (Circa 2001) and I'm doing the IR thing, I may be only using the red pixel out of the RGBG2 grouping - and maybe some residual feeding the BGG2 pixels too since the IR isn't a full IR as I can see some light through it (Cheap $15 filter.).

However, it is noisy or grainy as heck SOC. The below is maybe a 400% blow-up of a cell tower in the distance where you can see the noise/grain from the TIFF made from Exposure X6 since it can do the old Minolta Dimage 7 RAW file to TIFF conversion.

From left to right is the TIFF from Exposure X6, second one using just Topaz Sharpen AI (Ver. 2.2.2), third using only Topaz DeNoise AI (Ver. 2.3.6), and last one going from TIFF to DeNoise AI to Sharpen AI. The grain in the sky is very apparent in the TIFF and Sharpen AI even though Sharpen AI has a Noise reduction feature but it isn't enough nor does it handle it well no matter how long I played with it. Best I could get is one below (2nd) for the Sharpen AI one.

DeNoise AI alone fixed a lot of the sky, but the tower wasn't sharp (3rd). Combining the DeNoise AI and then the Sharpen AI seems to produce the best effect, imho.

Click on image and it might open in browser larger so you can see the noise better, at least with Firefox here it does.

Topaz-Test.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Sharpen AI seems to add a lot of extra "detail" that is not present in the original image, even some colour (?). It makes wonder if something is wrong with my eyes or my brain. The DeNoise AI result seems sharpened already so I don't think any more is needed.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sharpen AI seems to add a lot of extra "detail" that is not present in the original image, even some colour (?). It makes wonder if something is wrong with my eyes or my brain. The DeNoise AI result seems sharpened already so I don't think any more is needed.
That's the whole idea of the Sharpen AI. Like Gigapixel AI it invents detail as needed.
It isn't anything wrong with your brain, it is the artificial intelligence doing what the human brain can't.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom