Topaz B&W effects?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by agentlossing, Nov 11, 2013.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I looked around for discussions in this software and didn't find a while lot on this forum, but anyhow this is half price through 11/19... Is it a good buy? It seems to be from what I've read. I downloaded the trial but I'd like to wait till my new monitor gets here before trying it out.

Is this strictly a plugin, and does it work with Elements 11? So, after I install it I just open Elements and find it somewhere in the menus?

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have not used them but they are plug-ins and will work with elements. They also have a stand alone program that allows you to use the plug-ins without using other software. All this is from their webpage!

3. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I know there are some topaz users here somewhere, heheh. I played around with it just a little, it does seem to have some good stuff.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I like mine :cool:

5. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I think Topaz makes some excellent products. I don't think B&W Effects is as good as Nik's Silver Efex Pro, but Topaz supports way more host programs than Nik which only likes to play with Adobe. It's a great place to start and will likely meet most of your B&W needs, though once you've used Silver Efex it's tough to go back.

6. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Nik works with Aperture as well as Adobe. I too prefer SEFP to Topaz for B&W.

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I own all the Topaz plugins as well as photoFXlab, and I own Nik too. Of the Topaz plugins I tend to Topaz DeNoise, Adjust, Simplify and Clarity the most. But when it comes to B&W, I prefer Nik Silver Efex. I really like both Topaz and Nik products. Sometimes I use Topaz, sometimes I use Nik, sometimes I use both, and sometimes I use plain old Lightroom and nothing else. I'm really glad I own both products though, as it gives me lots of options. :smile:

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  9. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Australia
    Topaz plugins will also work with Irfanview, which is a free application. Although it doesn't support layers if that's your thing.

I have the whole suite of 14 plugins. Some of them will probably never get used, some occasionally (like B&W), but I really like the Clarity and especially Detail. The Detail is by far the best sharpening tool I've ever used.

So far I'm happy with Topaz.

10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's good to know! I might hold off of this for now, it does seem like a good program but I want to figure out how much I can get out of the older copy of LR I just got in terms of B&W processing. If I'm lucky I can catch this on sale again at a later time.