TOP: The World's Great Lens Makers

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dav1dz, May 9, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    From Mike Johnston of The Online Photographer: The Online Photographer: The World's Great Lens Makers

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Schneider and Fuji tops "the rest" category IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    At this point of the game, Olympus makes more mediocre lenses than exceptional ones.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think that is starting to change though, Luke. At the start of the m4/3 system their lenses were very mediocre, but they're definitely improving that now. These other guys have also fallen into the cheap consumer market as well, so it's not only Olympus. You see the Zeiss name on all Sony cameras, even point-and-shoots. There's no way you could call that exceptional glass, but they're still making other lenses which are. The Olympus 4/3 system is still in production, along with all its fabulous glass as well. I don't think we should judge them on their ventures into the consumer market, though I know it's hard not to because it lasted for a while... but that's because they were building a whole new system.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Ah, you're right Ned. The latest Oly lenses have been back to their Four Thirds glory days, but the first two or three years there was the average 17mm pancake and a bunch of mediocre slow zooms.

Why is Voigtlander not on the list and Fujifilm?

If one ever needs to drive traffic to their site and cause controversy, create a list.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I was hoping for a bit more commentary from TOP on that one.

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    It could be that Voigtlander doesn't actually produce anything nowadays. It kind of became just a brand used by Cosina. I should also say that Cosina makes excellent lenses.

8. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    My Minolta Rokkors didn't make the list? :mad:

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Really Luke? Optically or by the built quality?
    Cheers

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    David, you left out a key introductory statement in the referenced article. "These are the world's top camera lens makers, albeit in the opinion of only one aficionado: moi. I'm going to make a guess—a wild leap of a guess—and predict that probably not everybody in every forum everywhere will agree with me 100%."

The statement was made by Mike Johnston the online photographer editor. I'm quite sure that I'm one of the "not everybody."

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I figured people would click on the referenced link, but I'll add to the quote.