1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Top Olympus Executive found dead

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Linh, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
  2. Barb

Barb Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    That poor man. His poor family.

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Scary. If it was a suicide then what did he know that was so devastating? And was he worried about his own future or the company's?

OK I admit I am thinking a bit selfishly here, but if I bought the new EM-5 and the company went out of business, what would that do to the EM-5's resale value? Would it crash or be a collectors item?

4. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Woodford.

He didn't understand enough about Japanese business culture to realize that the other companies and the government wouldn't allow his lame takeover attempt.

He did understand enough to know that THIS would happen. And he didn't care.

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Right. In Japan serious problems are taken very personally. Recall Akio Toyoda's tears: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OItBnWHjlFM]Toyoda's tears - YouTube[/ame]

6. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I think that's the real difference between Japan and the U.S. cultures.

Bernie Madoff is likely scheming how to make prison cushier, and how to get parole. He could care less about anyone he's hurt. Loss of face? Bah! Wall street deal-makers: "Where's the next Enron for me to ride like a prostitute?"

Tsutomu Omori is probably not the kingpin in a scheme gone bad to "smooth out" a few bad years of losses. Yet he feels so damn much shame that he can't see going on without further shaming his family.

At least there's a small bit of personal accountability at the top in Japan.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very sad news. :(

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Your camera would still work and continue to take pictures. Cameras are used to take photographs, not an investment tool.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    This is sad news. I really don't see the humor here.

• Like Like x 9
  10. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I know, Hikari. I think it's too removed for some folks to feel a connection, is all. A reminder that a real family has just suffered a tragedy helps us know the pain in the situation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

As always in these situations there can be many causes for the act. However any high placed Olympus executive committing suicide leads one to readily suspect he knew there was an indictment coming his way.:frown:

12. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Not necessarily.
    Seppuku/Harakiri is a way to acknowledge failure and an ultimate act of honor to try keep the humiliation from reaching one's family. In it's purest form, the act of Seppuku involved a blade drawn across one's abdomen in the widest boldest stroke as to cause the most anguish upon oneself to spare loved ones the protracted agony of one's failure.

If indeed an act of Seppuku, that Olympus executive's effort can be seen as a dilution of the act; however, in a somewhat westernized society where the availability of the katana (long sword) or kogatana (knife or short sword often associated with the ritualistic act) is limited and the use of such for this act may invariably be endured by the very few with sufficient fortitude, the noose appears to be a suitable substitute. Whereas firearm use may be considered a cowardly act due to its heavy association with the western cultures, the blade is simply much more..."personal."

A family may have lost a member; however, perhaps its honor is preserved.

We westerners will never understand.

最初の名誉と家族、自己の最後の (honor and family first, self last)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    I cannot believe anyone made a joke over this.

• Like Like x 6
  14. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth leaving this thread open...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is truly a sad thing to happen. I don't know about any background of this guy but when a life is lost no matter who it is, it's sad.

In his note was written
    Whenever someone gives up hope it's a sad day. Maybe we can learn from our Japanese friends to not take take everything flippantly and take a little more responsibility for our actions. If mr Omori did this to preserve respect for his family, It makes me rethink how far I'll go to keep honour to my love ones.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    None of this is funny and suicide is always a tragedy. And I am not being flip when I say that if Olympus's top managers were concerned about their honor and their family's honor, then they should have taken more seriously the quaint little notion of corporate governance.

They were running a publicly traded company and, at the end of the day, they were stealing from shareholders. Cultural differences? What they did is as illegal in Japan as it is in the U.S., U.K., EU and most other places.

There are still posts from ill-informed people trying to blame this on Woodford. He didn't bring this on. He discovered cooked books and was executing his fiduciary and legal duty when he blew the whistle. Cultural differences? Please. That accusation was nothing more than pure smoke to cover the butts of white-collar criminals.

All this being said, it's clear now that Olympus will get through this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Please avoid any jokes related to this. Some of our members find such jokes to be highly offensive.

• Like Like x 6
  18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So you're suggesting Woodford should have kept quiet, and let Olympus management continue to defraud stockholders? Right.

At this point, there's no information to suggest his suicide was, or was not, related to Olympus' financial difficulties or the fraud that precipitated those difficulties. People commit suicide for a vast array of reasons, most of them personal. Let's all wait and see before we start making assumptions and judgements.

19. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Just when I thought the problems with Olympus were behind them, this news comes out. I can't help but think that the hammer is going to come down hard over there very soon.

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Seven senior executives arrested last week. I think the hammer has already fallen.