Top ISO: 3200 or 6400?

Highest ISO that gets the detail you want in your images?

Votes: 23 35.9%

Votes: 15 23.4%

Votes: 12 18.8%

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Never go higher than 200

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • To The Moon Alice, to the Moon!

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Living in Oregon, I often have to shoot in darker conditions due to clouds than I would like. On my cameras (G9, Gx8, Gx85) I see a great difference between 3200 and 6400 ISO when it comes to detail even in perfectly exposed images.

As everyone's shooting style and conditions very I've put in a poll, it quite simple - what is your highest ISO on our specific primary camera that your are comfortable that you will get detail (think feather detail or other fine detail) you want in your images.

dlentini

Mu-43 Regular
I don't really care about ISO, I have far bigger issues with my photography than to care about how much noise there is!

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
The lowest ISO possible to get your shutter/aperture required. Feather detail also requires pixel count on the subject to collect details along with fast enough shutter to freeze the feather motion. Birds a notorious for constantly moving.
Sorry that really doesn’t help,I suppose but it seems a good reason for M mode with auto ISO on

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I judge ISO on a sliding scale. If I expect to crop significantly, then only base or near-base ISO will do. If I have a bright, contrasty subject on a muted, diffuse background, sufficiently close to require no crop, then 3200 is likely to be acceptable, and 6400 might just turn the trick.

Even so, I like to keep ISO at or close to base whenever possible. This is my practice for OM-Ds and the Pen-F, as well as their predecessors in my herd, the Nikon D90, D300 and D7100. Given the difference in sensor size, this is amazing just by itself. The D70 and D600 are in leagues that bookend those already mentioned. For me, top ISO for the D70 was 640 while the D600 easily has a stop headroom above the cameras in the Great Middle.

Last edited:

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
For astro shots with landscape, i find iso 5000 is the sweet spot for the em1mk2, as iso 6400 loses detail of mountains. Could be focusing issues too, where in mf with 5x magnification, its difficult to see when it's perfectly focused.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
When I use Auto ISO, the highest I'll go is 1000. But that's only when I'm out in the field and need to take quick shots because to change even ISO could lose me the shot.

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Veteran
I think the highest acceptable ISO depends on the scene. If properly exposed and focused, and if the backround is far enough, one can find even ISO 5000 for birds usable.

Sometimes ISO 1600 is too much ...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Night football/soccer/lacrosse games; ISO 6400, f/4 (wide open), 1/500 sec, Nikon D7200 + 70-200/4.
Indoor gym basketball games; ISO 6400, f/4 (wide open), 1/500 sec, Olympus EM1-mk1 + 12-100/4.
I have pushed the D7200 up to 12800, with acceptable results.

I am more concerned with getting the image. If there is some noise, so be it. For me, noise just limits how much I can crop into the image.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't like going over base ISO (200) personally. I shoot action in daylight, & with my collection of fast primes, I don't have to leave it (base ISO) all that often.
If I have to, I'll go up to 1600 or 3200, to get the shot, but I'd rather not

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
It depends, but sky is the limit if it serves it's purpose.

Controled and careful shots I keep it under 1600, night shots 3200'ish, but shooting a moving kid in a low light indoor area and 25600 can do things no smart phone can. If you need the shutter speed and flash isn't an option, the choice is in focus grainy pictures, or blurred less noisy pictures.

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have older kit so high-iso is generally something I avoid but when push-comes-to-shove I'd rather get the shot than not - worst case I can always convert to B&W and go for grit (which actually suits some genres really well).

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is some of the top ISO relevance to do with do you see photogaphy as an exercise in file perfection or some sort of image capturing medium.;)
Like where you live Mike, Oregon for many months of the year is very cloudy and dark. If you are not using 1600-3200/6400 you are not getting high enough SS for BIFs.

Discussing max iso is in some ways a bit pointless, this would win no prizes and i could have stayed at home rather than use iso 6400, i have every respect for those that would not have taken it @ 6400 but i enjoyed my day.
We should use all aspects of photography to give us fun, not to meet someone else's criteria

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom