Top Five Settings EP3 you wish you knew before you took your first shot!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bonedoc, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Bonedoc

Bonedoc Mu-43 Rookie

I'm a newbie mu43 user. With a jump from an slr to an ep3 after taking the red pill, I'm overwhelmed by the plethora of ep3's settings. So I'll ask this question on you guys, if you'd list down the top five must know ep3 settings that a newbie user should know, what would these be?:biggrin:

2. rramesh

rramesh Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2011
    Learn to activate the super control panel. It is the most powerful menu option.

How do I enable the optional navigation interfaces, including the Live Control and Super Control Panel options?

The CONTROL SETTING function determines which camera navigation options are available in each shooting mode. While the hierarchical menu is always available by pressing the [MENU] button, CONTROL SETTING presents convenient short-cut options to help you quickly access frequently used controls. The control view options are LIVE GUIDE¹, LIVE CONTROL and SCP (Super Control Panel).

The LIVE GUIDE view, designed for novice photographers, lets you fine adjust photographic effects such as brightness, color saturation, color balance and background blur using convenient and intuitive slide bars. As you move a slider up or down with the arrow keys, you can preview the effect of the change on the OLED screen before you snap the picture. A technical understanding of photography concepts and jargon is not necessary.

The LIVE CONTROL view presents narrow banners along the right side of, and at the bottom of, the OLED screen. The banner on the right is filled with icons that represent camera settings such as White Balance and ISO; use the Up and Down arrows to select a setting you wish to edit. The bottom banner contains icons that represent the options available for the selected setting; use the Left and Right arrows to scroll through the options and select a setting. Press the [OK] button to activate the new setting.

The SCP view presents the Super Control Panel, a grid that overlays the image on the OLED screen. Use the arrow buttons to select a setting on the grid and press the [OK] button to activate it.

Before you can access a control view from a particular shooting mode, it must be activated for that mode by changing its CONTROL SETTING value to ON. The CONTROL SETTING function is located in the Custom Menu D icon submenu.

Once a control view is activated, you can access it by pressing the [OK] button. If multiple views are activated for a particular shooting mode, pressing the [INFO] button repeatedly will cycle through the enabled views. To exit any control view, press the shutter button halfway down.

¹ LIVE GUIDE is available only when the Mode Dial is set to iAUTO. Because iAUTO is a fully automated shooting mode, some settings cannot be adjusted when using LIVE GUIDE.

3. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

#1 is to turn on all the menus! Souds like you did this already, but it took me a second to figure out when I first got my e-p3.
    Fine JPEG + RAW
    Keep warm colors = off
    AF assist light = off (for stealth night shots)
    Auto MF assist (automatically zooms the display when you move the focus ring, can be annoying sometimes though)

I'm looking forward to hearing others responses as I'm new to the system too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chrisdors

chrisdors Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Milwaukee

Thanks for this one!

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Turn Dark Frame Subtraction - ON - It's indispensable if you ever shoot exposures longer than 1".

(I'm not sure what this is actually called on the EP3 - an Oly shooter could probably tell you :smile:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I would like to know this also! I am an EP3 user, and I don't know how to turn this function ON!

7. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    If you like to shoot jpg black and white, I suggest to change the 'gradation' option in monotone mode or another mode to 'normal'. Auto will make the color very grey

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    On my PM1 its called 'Noise Reduction' and its set to Auto (by default I believe). To access it, get into the Menu, select the 'gears' and then the 'G' submenu.

Don't mistake it for the 'Noise Filter' option.

btw - there are a couple of earlier threads on the same topic a little while ago;

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/please-share-your-e-p3-settings-17362/
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/e-p3-settings-use-14596/

9. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    My top 6

I'll resurrect this old thread, as I've had my E-P3 for about a month and have my top changes:

1. Enable the Custom Menu. Without this, very little else can be done.
    2. Enable the Super Control Panel. This gives great access to change all the main stuff I want, with a good touchscreen or joystick control.
    3. Enable Super Fine JPEGs. I can kind of understand why the default output isn't SuperFine, but why not have it available right away (as it is, you need to enable the Custom Menu, then set the Still Picture Record mode.
    4. Set the USB Mode to MTP or Storage. The default Auto setting should be called "Ask" because that's all it does. I prefer MTP, but Storage would be fine too.
    5. Lower the Noise Filter to Low. The consensus is that the Normal level is too aggressive.
    6. I found that Auto ISO was going up to 1600 really fast. It turns out that the Flash Custom Slow Limit affects how Auto ISO works even when the flash is off.
    "In general, the camera will attempt to set a 'handholdable' shutter speed according to the '1/equivalent focal length' rule of thumb, or 1/60th sec (whichever is faster). However, this limit of 1/60th is actually defined by the 'Flash Slow Limit' setting in section F of the Custom menu, allowing you to force the camera to push the ISO up if you need to retain fast shutter speeds, or drop lower if you're using a wide-angle lens and are willing to trust the IS system (which will help eliminate camera shake but obviously won't freeze subject motion)."
    (From Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review)
    I have mine lowered to 1/25, but I'm still experimenting.

Choices around Picture Styles, Sharpening and Saturation are more personal, but these are the ones where I think Olympus should have set these by default. Maybe a number 7 would be the default control choices for the dials under A and S mode. Having both dials do the same thing seems odd. I have the lower dial adjust Exposure Compensation for both.

10. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Many things have been said about the difference between jpeg super fine and jpeg fine. But I went for jpeg fine, Hugh difference in size and to my eyes minimal to no difference in quality.

Nowadays I only shoot raw but anyway:)

11. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I think the jpeg setup is dependent on how you are using those.

I take RAW versions and crop, adjust etc those and produce Jpegs from those processed shots. Jpeg from camera are only to share eg. here and Facebook. So I use only small size and normal compression for camera Jpegs.

12. Jeroen81

Jeroen81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I like mu E-P3 a lot and use it all the time. Recently I became aware of something called a Wifi SD card (or something). I read it can work with the E-PL5 and that generation. My question is if it can work in the E-P3. Does anyone know that?

13. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    My Eye-fi card list says "yes" and there's even a bit on how to enable in on the Eye-fi website - would send a link but on my phone not PC.

Certainly works well on my OMD

14. Jeroen81

Jeroen81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2013
    The Netherlands
    And can any Wifi SD card work or only the brand Eye-fi?

15. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Most of the Card manufacturers will have a list of compatible cameras but both Eye-fi and Transcend list the EP-3.

16. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I like to control ISO manually so I assigned ISO to the bottom (self-timer) button. I programmed flash exposure compensation to the upper thumb wheel since I use it so much. If you use an optical finder (VF-1) or need to shoot with LCD off for stealth, assign a function button to toggle the LCD on and off.

17. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Yea, I just turned warm colors off a few days ago...new PL5 owner here. Thanks for the tip!
    Definitely made a difference.

18. fspeur

fspeur Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Frans
    Very important piece of information which I wasn't aware of; I don't use the flash, so I never paid attention to the Flash Slow Limit setting on my E-PL3. Changing it from 1/60 to 1/25 or somewhere around there definitely keeps the ISO down. I just tested the same thing on my E-PL1, but it doesn't appear to make a difference on that one.

19. Jewood1234

Jewood1234 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    Good info!!