Top 100 Photographers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 5, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks for the link. Great stuff to review.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same reaction. When i look at all these marvelous shooters, I just feel like I'll stick to just taking pictures of my kids, because everything else has already been done, and been done better than I could ever hope to shoot it myself.

In short, looking at the websites of these artists makes me want to look more, but shoot less. Anyone else feel that, or do you feel the opposite - maybe super inspired to get out there and shoot more??
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for that link. a lot to learn and wonder...
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Makes me think I need more hot nude models in wild landscapes! The wife is a bit of a bottleneck on that avenue of my creativity ...
    • Like Like x 4
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Umm, yeah, she probably should be. :biggrin: I don't buy the idea that everything there is to do has already been done. Each of us captures those "magic" moments so long as we keep shooting and keep learning. :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010

Jacob Riis
    Edward Curtis
    Margaret Bourke-White
    Eliot Porter
    Gordon Parks
    Dorothea Lange
    Minor White
  6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Also Brett Weston and Wynn Bullock

What a bogus top 100 list
  8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Also Jerry Uelsmann
  9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    that is the true statement of "is not about the camera..." :thumbup:
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, I wouldn't put up any photo on my wall that wasn't taken by myself (or my wife), so for me it becomes a matter of learning how to take nice photos or getting used to having blank walls. Looking at photos taken by others is great for learning purposes but even if I could never even dream of producing something as good, the personal connection between me and the image isn't there.
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Curiosity Rover is my favorite photographer right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I like to see a lot of the work from these guys because it helps me build a vision and thought process of placement of elements in a frame. I might end up copying their work or style consciously or unconsciously but what matters is that one moment when you get that one shot that makes you go wow.

I don't know if I'll ever be as good as these guys, I don't aspire to. But, everytime I hold the camera I try to remind myself as to why I got into photography in the first place. It's not only about the end result for me, it's about the experiences, the moments, the places I get to see, the people I get to meet and so on. And in the process, if I can make couple of good photographs here and there, it's just an added bonus.
  13. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    A dear friend of mine represented Gary Winogrand. She told me once that he shot EVERYTHING and ANYTHING! Looking at his M4, it's not hard to believe!
  14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I have only gone through some of the photographers' works, but I certainly know that feeling you're talking about. It's not gonna stop me from taking pictures. It just makes me more aware of my shortcomings as a photographer, and makes me think twice before sharing my photos...
  15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If I never heard of 95 of the 100 most influential then they have had no influence on me ... that I know of.

I'd say a random sampling of 100 mu-43 members have been more influential on my photography in the last year that anyone on that other list.

Maybe I'm an old prude but a photo/self portrait of some naked guy copping a squat in the snow really does nothing to make me interested in that body of work. Although that is a kind of influence ... I assumed they mean't positive influence.
  16. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Serrano and Maplethorpe have "mad-skillz" but sometimes the subjects leave much to be desired.

17. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    One of my favorites.. :2thumbs:
  18. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    WT, I'm in the opposite direction. I've always wanted to shoot more AND see more of the world. I have seen most of these photographers' works and what I tend to bring out of the viewing experience is an appreciation of the image rather than a desire to shoot like them. I like to know how other photographers work, what influences them and what they have done.

Be careful, especially with the web as it's too easy to see too much. I usually prefer not to see an artist's book, web site or gallery show at one sitting as it's usually too much for me to take in at one time, somewhat similar to overeating during Thanksgiving.

Take many pictures of your kids, There will never be enough shots and they grow up too fast!
  19. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Thank you, Bob!