Top 10 Native Lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bigbluebear, Jul 10, 2013.

1. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Hi,

I've seen other sites create a top 10 list of lenses such as the link below so I thought it'd be interesting to create a similar list based on the voices of this community.

Top 10 Native Lenses for Micro Four Thirds cameras 2012 | OSGFilms

I've added the 46 lenses that are from the link below.

Micro Four Thirds Lenses - HENNIGArts : Gear

If people voted for their top ten favorite lenses, we can see how the stats pan out over time. Obviously this can change over time as new lenses are added into the MFT lineup but it would be interesting to see what are peoples favorite lenses right now. I'm sure the Panny 25 and Oly 75mm will pop up on top but it'd be interesting to see what else is up there! I think with each person picking 10 lenses, I'd be interested in seeing what shows up in spots 6-10. :D

Although I know the poll allows you to vote for more or less than 10, I'd appreciate if everyone took the time to vote only on ten.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think it would be difficult to find people that actually own ten lenses. Also, the poll says pick five.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Not surprisingly the 3 best and fastest primes are leading the pack. Only 2 votes apiece for the 12-35 and 35-100 -- Olympus should really come out with longer (and more usable) fast zooms. :tongue:

4. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    That's my fault. I originally thought 5 would be good but after thinking about it more, I believe having people select 10 would be good since it will lead to better distribution on the voting.

As for owning 10 lenses, you don't have to own all 10. It's just the 10 lenses that you think are the best (your favorite).

5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I just voted for the five that I have. After all they are the five best mu4/3 lenses, that I have. :)

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey, I just did a fast count, I have ten native lenses.

7. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    I'm up to 9 :)

8. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    Hum, I only have 5 lenses, obviously I must buy more!

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film... Steven Wright
    G5 and P14-45 went to my daughter
    OMD EM5
    P20
    P45-200
    Kiron 105 2.8 macro
    O12-60

9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Kind of a funny poll. Purports to identify the 10 TOP lenses and then asks people to select their 5 FAVORITE lenses. To me, those are different things. I have no doubt the 75mm Oly is one of the very best m43 lenses, but since I rarely use this FL and don't own the lens I could hardly vote for it as one of my favorites!

10. albert_ang

albert_ang Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    There's no SLR Magic 25mm T0.95 in the option?

11. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    This was my instinct as well...which makes me question the validity of a top list voted this way. It will more likely result in a "Top 10 Most-Owned Lenses" list.

12. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I voted just for the lenses I have: even though I have read about excellent other options, I feel those could be "wanted" but not "my favorites".

13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Yes, you are right. I mean, the 75mm could be the BEST lens in terms of optical quality, but, maybe it's too long for some people, or silver is not their color, and so on.

But, with rating something the BEST, many people's opinions compiled should give a pretty good estimate. It's better than throwing a dart. The winner of the poll can be seen as the objective best (even if it's no one in particular's personal favorite) and thus, since there is a finite number of lenses, rated a '10.'

Try rating woman's looks. It's entirely possible to do. Show guys pictures and the girl with the most votes is the prettiest. Or the one who gets hit on more, etc. But 90% of the people can't understand objective compiling: "Well you might say it/she is the best/prettiest but I don't like it/her" (an irrelevant statement).

Anyhow, I'd say lenses are the same way. Let's see if the 75mm is the '10'. I'm guessing the 20mm will be the '10,' however, and the 17mm 2.8 or the 14-42 will be the '0'.

14. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Okay, I posted what my "favorite" would be. For example, I doubt I'll ever own the 75mm because of the price and the fact that I can get a comparable FL legacy lens for much, much less, but I voted for it because if there were a bunch of free ones and I could only pluck one of each I'd definitely snatch it.

No place for the 15mm f/8 Lens Cap Lens?

15. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    same here, only voted 5.

16. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    LOL!

17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    No love for even the CDAF optimised 4/3 lenses huh :eek:

The results of this poll was pretty predictable.

Pany 14, 20 & 25
    Oly 12, 45, & 75
    Pany 12-35 & 35-100

The only surprise for me was the Pany 7-14.

18. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Oly 75 and PanaLeica 25 for quality and rendering.

Panasonic 14 and Oly 40-150 for awesomeness to cheapness ratio.

Pany 12-35, 35-100 for quality and versatility.

19. bigbluebear

Jul 2, 2013
    I was actually surprised about the oly 12mm. Everyone seems to complain about the price but it's still up there with the panny 20mm

20. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    mods, this thread deserve a sticky IMO. :thumbup: