1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Took the plunge, ordered Oly 75/1.8!!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by iGonzoid, Feb 20, 2013.

1. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    After successfully selling my E-P2, P 14mm f2.5, Rokinon 85mm f1.4, P/Lux Fz-30 [2005 vintage, 8Mpx] and an ancient Komura Penta Box [like the Leica Visoflex] with a broken mirror for a grand total of about $650 [Oz], I hit eBay and ordered the 75/1.8 for $US951.89 [$923.89 Oz], free postage, from HK.

Can't wait to try it. Hope there are no postal strikes or other delays. The clone lens hood I ordered last week form HK is delayed by "stock delays from [Chinese] mainland". Patience, patience... The more I look at the relevant 75/1.8 image thread, the more my mouth waters.

Thanks to Amin and others for advising me to sell the gear I was under-using in favour of this prospective beauty. My only regret is that it is a silver lens — I always prefer black. Now the wait....

• Like Like x 1
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Have fun.

It's a godly lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I really need to sell off some gear - this lens is at the top of my wish list! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    That lens should come with a towel to wipe the drool off of your camera when you mount the lens and see what it can do...

• Like Like x 2
  5. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Believe me, RevBob, selling off old/surplus-to-real-requirements/why-did-I-buy-it? gear is very salutary. In my 2 years and four months as an m43 owner/user, I have realised there is no way back to other formats for me — though I am keeping my Leica M3 and 50mm Summicron to will to my son or grandson as an example of mid-20th Century high-tech. And I hope that passing on my E-P2 and 25mm f2.5 as a package to an eBayer will help someone get into the format with some proven, desirable gear. The 75mm f1.8 has just left HK, according to the tracker. As Zariell said, must have a towel to keep the drool off things. Thanks to all.

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    You'll be happy when it arrives. I pre ordered mine, and only have gotten to use it on occasion, but am always itching to use it- I do have to say it is the nicest best preforming lens I have ever owned all around. I also itch to use it when I can- because you know, it's expensive :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi .. This lens sells for AUD 875 at Home page | CameraPro Australia , it would have cost u same or probably less
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I got mine last Saturday but not had much opportunity to use it yet.

9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have a story about ordering mine.

When I ordered it last year, you couldn't get one ANYWHERE. It was back ordered and people were waiting weeks or months for it.

Totally on a lark, I tried to order it from Olympus direct instead of from my usual retailers (Adorama, B&H, etc) who were all backordered with long waits. But I could not get the Olympus store to work on the web. I couldn't complete the transaction after multiple attempts.

So, I figured I'd call Olympus and let them know their store wasn't working. The phone menu system wasn't clear on who to talk to about this, so I just pressed for sales.

The lady was very apologetic and offered to let me order the lens by phone and I said yes. I gave her my information and she said I'd receive an email confirmation. I asked her, "I know these are difficult to get right now, do you have any idea when this might ship?"

She replied: "It will ship this afternoon." I was floored.

I had it two days later. I can't claim any special skill or connections in this, I was just in the right place at the right time, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Yes, it can also be used to wipe your tears when you have to cough up more money for hood and pouch it should come with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    If it came with hood, a towel wouldn't be necessary!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    You know in theory I'm in agreement, but it doesn't, Olympus has chosen not too, so it's like flogging a dead horse. At this point in the game either get over it, get an aftermarket hood, or get creative with cardboard and tape... :)

13. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Yeah you'll get over the fact it doesn't include a hood once you start using it. It certainly is lame Olympus doesn't include one, but the whining about it has worn itself out like Zariell says. I bought the official Olympus hood, mainly because got a great deal on a used copy of the lens. The hood for me is key mainly for protection, especially when I'm carrying two bodies, I find I'll bump something, and thankfully the hood always hits first.

• Like Like x 1
  14. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    The courier tracker now read: Out for delivery.
    Mere hours or minutes to go.
    Thanks for all your posts —*entropicremnants, you must be one of the luckiest out there.
    Delaying gratification is character-building, but it can be trying.
    All the best to fellow [and about to be] 75mm f1.8 luvvvers [Lulu and the...].

• Like Like x 1
  15. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Really? That would be a catastrophe! I am well known for my lack of character and I would hate to ruin my reputation!

Hope it's there soon and enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    or at least use a scratch free towel... ;)

17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    the last time i ordered something, the tracking said OUT FOR DELIVERY! it was only 45 minutes until typical delivery time... i was so excited... 8 hours later the guy rings the doorbell... WHAT?! lol
    heres hoping your delivery time doesnt get jacked up!!:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    This is entertaining. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    It has ARRIVED. First thing done was to shoot my wife... in the kindest way, of course, portrait wise — had to be at f1.8 to test the limits.

Anne, my better half. OM-D, Olympus 75mm f1.8; @ f1.8 1/160s, ISO 200.

2250025AAK25Fb13OMDZk75f1_8S160Is2001250.

Next thing was bung on the Kenko extension tubes —*10 + 16mm — and check out the bokeh at max [about 1:2] magnification, wide open at f1.8.
    OM-D, Olympus 75mm f1.8, 26mm extension tubes; @ f1.8 1/640s, ISO 200.

2250140Grapes25Fb13OMDZk75Tb26f1_8S640Is2001250.

And my favourite flowers for high kitsch factor: Amaryllis belladonna, aka Cape Amaryllis, "Naked Ladies".

2250047Amaryllis25Fb13OMDZk75f8S4000Is2001250.

Was it worth selling all that gear to get this beauty? Absolutely. Thanks for all your collective encouragement. I had just rung the couriers as I was getting anxious, and the lady said: "Will be with you in 30 seconds." And it was!!!
    Time to go for a long walk, drooling all the way.
    If you don't have this gem of a lens in your m4/3 arsenal, sell all your unused, redundant gear [and your less liked relatives if need be] and buy one.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    It looks like you scored a good copy. Have fun with it.