1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Took the E-PL1 to the Apple Festival Again

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Sep 5, 2010.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

...and had trouble setting the flash output. I guess that's one part of the manual and Idiot's Guide I'm going to have to study.

My subjects in this backlit shot were too dark and I had to select and lighten them in the raw image.

Nice to know that there's lots of flexibility in the dynamic range of a raw image from this camera.

Subjects are the Chairman of the Henderson County NC Democratic Party and Congressman Heath Shuler and his daughter, who has obviously had lots of practice waiting while her father is involved in political discussions.
    P8050166 Doug Freeman and Heath Shuler | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Isabel

2. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Isabel,
    I have mine set to the "fill flash" option and have had really good luck with that. Which flash setting do you have it on?
    jane

3. isabel95

I have it set to fill flash as well, but my results have been uneven. Obviously, I'm overlooking something.

4. jimbo

jimbo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2010
    Nice pictures, my favorite is the one taken from behind the band.

You say this is an apple festival but I don't see any apples!:wink:

-j

5. isabel95

Thanks, Jimbo. I did take one picture of some baskets of apples but it was very hokey. Decided not to include it. That band picture drove me nuts because the tents were so blown out from overexposure. I tried replacing the white sky and that looked fraudulent, so I left it as the original. I have trouble overcoming my desire to fix everything! The event is called the Apple Festival because Hendersonville is a big apple growing area. Today I got a picture of Congressman Heath Shuler and his daughter with the Chair of the Henderson County Chairman of the Democratic Party. I loved the little girl's patience - I'm sure she's had to endure a lot of political talk in her young life. P8050166 With Silver Efex Pro | Flickr - Photo Sharing! and in color: P8050166 Doug Freeman, Chairman of the Henderson County NC Democratic Party, and Congressman Heath Shuler | Flickr - Photo Sharing! I prefer the monochrome version.

6. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Quick question with using flash:

As an intermediate level user, I've been fairly successful with using manual mode to get proper exposure without flash, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to calibrate shutter speeds when I'm using flash. How do I know how fast I can use the shutter speed at any given f-stop when using flash, since the exposure meter doesn't reflect actual exposure when using flash?

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Isabel, it would be wonderful if you'd pick out some of your photos and post them on one of the appropriate genre threads...or start a new thread in the Genre subforums. This way everyone could see your photos right here, rather than having to go off site and be able to appreciate and/or comment here. That said, you can also definitely add a link to your Flickr stream in your signature line (see your User CP), so that we can all delve in deeper, too.:2thumbs:

jambaj0e, if you don't get enough of a response here I'd suggest you post a separate thread here in the Olympus forum so that other Olympus shooters will see it and be more apt to comment helpfully. Isabel may well be able to help you, but just in case you want a wider readership.

8. isabel95

I agree. I think the problem is my unfamiliarity with how to set things up in this forum. I think I've set up a gallery for my pictures here.

What is the easiest way to embed an image. All I seem to be getting is links.

Isabel

9. BBW

No problem. It takes time to figure things out on different places, for sure.

Start here: About mu-43, be sure to read the stickies at the top of the page...and check out the FAQ there where you will find Posting Images which goes into a couple of different methods including using them from your gallery here, but also attachments and (my favorite) embedding from a place such as Flickr. Bear in mind that Flickr recently changed their set up but it's still quite easy: click on your photo you want, go to Share This...choose from the drop down menu "Grab the HTML/BB Code...choose the size, copy the code...then past it in any thread (not gallery) and there you will have your Flickr photo embedded and clickable. I hope this is helpful. If you (or anyone else reading this) have any other questions it is best to post them on the Help and Feedback forum which is viewable to members only.

Before you know it, it will all become second nature to you, Isabel. I look forward to seeing more of your photos here and on Flickr, too.:thumbup:

10. isabel95

thanks - just what I wanted to know....

I tried to embed from Flickr and obviously did it incorrectly. I'll be able to get it right with your directions and I will read the info here that you referred to.
    Isabel

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

Here is a screen shot showing me using the drop down menu from the Share This option on Flickr. You'd want to choose the HTML code, highlight it, copy it, and then paste it in a reply window of a thread/topic here. I hope if you click on this it will be large enough. Let's see how it works! Seems to work fine. I hope this is helpful to you and others.

Attached Files:

12. moho

moho Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2010
    PERFECT........many, many thanks...................moho.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mauimoe/4924703061/" title="P8241602 by Some of my favourites, on Flickr"> 4924703061_5fe36d97eb. "500" height="327" alt="P8241602" /></a>

• Like Like x 2