Took delivery of a Leica 45mm f2.8 Macro-Elmarit yesterday.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Oooooo, there's nice.

It's a cracking lens, continuous internal focusing from infinity to 1:1, luxury indeed.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  3. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I've been doing some serious thinking about that lens myself. We are blessed with some really nice lenses here in :43: land!

• Like Like x 1
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Congrats.

5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    My favorite lens!
    Congratulation! :2thumbs:

6. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    oh no! the lens is cracked?

congrats on the lens purchase :p

7. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    This is a fantastic lens and, in my opinion, somewhat overlooked in the range of lenses available for MFT.

Enjoy using it: it sometimes gets a bit vague and jumpy on auto-focus at very close ranges. A trick someone on here told me was to jump to MF, set the lens approximately and then go back to AF, which works.

Make sure you post your shots taken with it!

8. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Mine is less than a month old and I have no regrets (although I still cry a little when I look at the receipt).

RoseRain.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It is pretty nice, isn't it. If the Olympus 45/1.8 didn't have such limited close-focusing capabilities, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but the difference between 1:9 and 1:1 is pretty dramatic!

DH

10. wbuzatto

wbuzatto Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Campinas, SP - Brazil
    Walmyr T. Buzatto
    I agree, this is a wonderful little piece of engineering, but I have trouble with it taking too long to focus underwater: I have an UW housing for my GF1 and two ports, one for the 14-45 and one for the 45 Macro-Elmarit. I almost gave up taking the 45 Macro on diving trips, as it takes forever to focus, and when it finally locks into something, the main subject is gone... I don't have time under water to go to MF, narrow down and then back to AF. It is point-and-shoot in many situations. The 14-45 does a better job UW in general for me, at least, but I know I have a lot to learn in UW photography (well, above water too).

11. py6km

py6km Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    Did you not already have this lens? I thought I remembered seeing an image you posted of your EM-5 with it on.

12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    No, that was the 25mm f1.4 Leica DG Lux. another very fine lens.

13. py6km

py6km Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    Ah yes, my mistake. I used to have the PL 45mm on a GF1 and then subsequently a GH2 and could not fault it. Great lens. I'm similarly impressed with the 25/1.4. I think if I were to get something around the 45mm range again though I'd probably plump for the Olympus 45/1.8 to get the extra dof. Never used the macro much to be honest, but remember it being decent on that lens. So have you got an EM-5 again, or are you using this on one of your Panny bodies?

14. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I'm really liking mine, too. It's a versatile lens with no real faults and excellent image quality. Paired up with my new STF-22 I like it better than I did my old Canon macro kit, which was twice as big and no better.

15. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    i bought this lens for my wife last year, so that she could take macro shots of her products for her website. i've used it a couple of times but don't really like the length, my PL 25 gets way more use (from me anyway). I'm always impressed by the images my wife can get from the 45 though. I have no regrets about buying this lens, even though it's used the least out of all the lenses we own.