Too much Spring

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Crdome, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Winter was too long, and too GRAY! Spring continues in the same genre using the same palette. We are now are now 12 straight days of rain. The ground is completely saturated. These school grounds have always been grass covered. This new pond is 10' deep in places! Desperately needing sun!!! Unfortunately little is forecast for the next week.

S.A.D.(ly) yours,

-Chrome

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/91846136@N04/8662483222/" title="Too Much Spring by MyCrome, on Flickr"> 8662483222_d72fa37a4f. "500" height="375" alt="Too Much Spring"></a>

2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Great shot, love the colors - very lifelike

3. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thank you. It was shot with my iPhone.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Same problem here.
    [​IMG]"1024" height="768">
    E-PM1 with PL 20mm

And here's the result on the flowers.
    [​IMG]
    E-PL1 with Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    All of the rain can be frustrating, but we need it. Lake Erie was down 18 inches in March. Last summer we had wells running dry all around us. I've learned to embrace the rain and be happy. :smile:

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Michigan is grey and wet, many days of rain, rain, rain. But I know we do need the rain. :smile:

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Minnesota - April 19th and 8+ inches of snow in my driveway. Enjoy the rain.

8. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Hey everyone thank for your response. We all concur the Midwest desperately need the rain after several years of sever drought. However it would be greatly appreciated if it were spread out during the farming season. Much of this will wind up in the Ohio and Mississippi River basins for flooding. Obviously the Mississippi River's barge trafficcan use it.

Seems like a great time for the Heartland MFT folks chartering a jet to join the SoCal group for a shoot. They seem to khow how to have a good time.

-Chrome

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    12 straight days of rain is nothing -- streaks like that don't even get our attention up here in Seattle until they approach three weeks.

All kidding aside, it does seem like it's been a wacky spring for weather all around. I realize it's very anecdotal, but I was in Olympic National Park last weekend, which is one of the wettest places on earth with an average annual rainfall of around 12 feet. Here is what the weather looked like on this particular April day:

2013-04-16_SunbathingInWashington_1024.

As with all things, the rain will end and the puddles will eventually dry up. As Bob says, the moisture is needed. In the meantime, it's a great chance to test the weather sealing of your OM-D or GH3.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    That reminds me! We did have a little snow plus sleet, high winds and thunderstorms nearly all at the same time. It's been a few years since we had that much snow in April (thank goodness).

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1!

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I've never been to Seattle, but I know you get lots of rain. Do you get downpours, or is it kind of a near-constant drizzle? I ask, because I lived in England (London & Epsom) from 1972-1977, and I don't recall having major downpours like we have here in Michigan. I always had an umbrella in my bag, because it seemed to drizzle almost constantly and without warning. Of course, that was a long time ago, so who knows if my memory is correct. :smile: Anyway, I don't mind drizzle. It's the downpours, and especially the sudden ones that tend to get me down. :eek:

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You're right in your supposition that the Seattle rain is probably more similar to London than to the storms you see in the Midwest. Seemingly daily showers are the rule from around mid-October through early June, but we rarely have any really heavy rainstorms. Precipitation is mostly gentle and persistent here. In the 15 or so years I've been here I can probably count on one hand (certainly on two) the number of real "gully washers" we've experienced and those are generally brief.

In all honesty, the "Seattle = rainy" thing is really just more a myth we perpetuate to keep any more people from moving here. :wink:

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Hmm, your description makes me want to move to Seattle! :wink:

15. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Keith,

Thanks for the bright, colorful photo, even if it's from one of the grayest climates around. I really needed the uplifting of my spirits. AS I recall Seattle only receives 20" of mist per year, yet Aberdeen 40 miles south gets 40". I remember my friend's daughter complaining about the mushrooms growing in the back window of her car.

I've been to Seattle many times and only once did I encounter mist.

-Chrome

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Shhhhh!!! Don't blow our cover. :tongue:

17. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome