Too much gear..... again!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by DaveEP, Jun 26, 2016.

1. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I've been through this a couple of times over the last 30-40 years. Too much gear.

I started out on M43 looking for a smaller lighter setup that didn't compromise too much on the image quality. I found it.

Now why did I need to keep buying more stuff?

Bodies: EM1 + GH4
    If I didn't shoot video I would just stick with the EM1, but videos still generate a steady income so I guess I'll have both for now. Maybe the EM1 II will step up to the plate on video, but I'm not going to hold my breath!

Lenses. Oh boy.

7-14 vs 7-14
    Ended up with both Lumix (F4) and Oly (F2.8) - I bought the Lumix before the Oly f2.8 was available, but always wished it was f2.8, especially when in lower light situations. I also got hit quite a few times with the purple blobs when using it on the EM1, so I bought the Oly. It's quite a bit bigger and heavier, but then it does have the manual focus ring / clutch which I use quite a lot. < sigh >

12-35 vs 12-40. Ended up with both. <Sigh> I love the 12-35 for it's smaller size and lighter weight but prefer the 12-40 for the extra FL and manual focus clutch / ring. < sigh >

35-100 f2.8 vs 40-150 f2.8 PRO - ended up with both. Probably should have been happy with the 35-100 as it's so much smaller and lighter. But then I wanted the extra focal length of the 150, especially with the added 1.4x TC. < sigh >

14-140 - OK - I only have one of these and it's a great walkabout on vacation. Keeper.

Oly 12mm - Bought this for a specific purpose (drone) but no longer use it - for sale!

Oly 45mm - Again, bought this for a specific purpose (drone) but just don't use it - for sale!

Lumix 14mm - not sure why I bought this - other than it was a good deal at the time. Hmmm....

Lumix 20mm - the first prime I bought - nice and sharp - but do I use it? Hmmm....

I really should think about reducing the stuff I do't use. It used to all fit in a really compact shoulder bag (I hate back packs) but now it doesn't, so I'm back to making decisions about what to take and what to leave behind!

I've been an all-zoom shooter and an all-prime shooter during different times, but today I'm mostly a zoom shooter since I like to have flexibility in places where you just can't zoom with your feet (I seem to get in to many of them!) or where I simply don't want to be changing lenses, either to avoid dust / sand / weather or because I don't like drawing attention or perhaps if I change lenses the moment will be gone.

Anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, I seem to accumulate gear too. I'm sort of ok with it though because it's something I like and since I always buy used, the hit if I resell isn't a lot. I've not got zoom duplication as you have, but I do have a lot of zoom/prime overlap:

Lumix 7-14 + 12
    Lumix 12-35 + 12, 17 & 25
    Lumix 35-100 + 45, 60 & 75

Oh, almost forgot - I've got the 12-32 too; but it's mostly my wife who uses that so I guess it's ok.

I keep thinking of selling the 12 since apart from the extra stop, it's no better than the 12-35; but I love its handling and size so unless cash becomes an issue, I'll hang on to it. I similarly think of selling the 60 too. I don't do a lot of macro and the Raynox 250 on the 35-100 or 75 is a pretty good substitute; but then there are occasional situations when a true macro is essential - so it stays!

The good news is that having tried the 42.5 f1.2 Noc and the CV 17.5/0.95 and moved them on, there's nothing else I'm lusting after. Probably explains why I pickup up a dirt cheap XE1 recently - just for a bit of extra-system shenanigans!
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I took two bodies and six lenses on a trip to Ethiopia last year. The three zooms got used, the three primes never even got mounted. This was following a similar experience on another trip. I sold all the primes and have not regretted it.
  4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    But the primes are so cute!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    Gearing up past our needs is a problem most of us understand very well.
    I am really very happy with the basic 2-zoom set (now Lumix 14-42 and 45-150, before Oly's pair). I would love to have more, especially a few smaller primes - not f/1.2 or f/0.95, f/2 is plenty good for me - but neither budget nor subjects that I shoot can justify more lenses right now. I'm not shooting extremes of any sort (low light, superwide/tele, bokeh-demanding) so the basics are enough. I do have the body-cap 9mm and I love the sound of something 'better' in that range.. but until I can get out and seek more demanding stuff to shoot, why buy it? Even raw imaging/processing is too much right now, so I'll be happy with a few tweaks to the Oly jpeg engine and be quite happy.

For those who do court the extremes, enjoy! Some day I may join you in some of that.
    For those with the budget to play, play away! No doubt in a few months I can do a bit more.
    But for me right now, a simple kit is the thing to have.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  6. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Lots if not all of us have the "gear creep" problem. I started ot with a GF3 + kit lens and things from then on have spiralled out of control as the "If only I had that lens I could....." question runs through my head.

A couple of hikes with the LX100 have almost convinced me that less can be more most of the time.

But then there are times when only the 7-14, 35-100 o the fish eye are the only lenses that can do the job.
  7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Damn.... you had to mention the fisheye...... which is another one I'd like;)
  8. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    I have a related but slightly different problem. I have a m43 kit that suits me fine - I have one or two more lenses on the wishlist but each adds something that I don't currently have. However, I'm still maintaining two systems. I have very similar focal lengths for my Nikon d7100 so I've doubled up there - and because (at this time of year at least) most of my photos are taken out and about, I haven't picked it up for months.

I'm all but ready to bite the bullet and sell it - the one thing that stops me is that I like the Nikon flash commander system, and have yet to find something that would work as well on m43. I'm sure it exists, I'm just loathed to replace my lights...
  9. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    What's wrong with the GH4 for stills? Why not just stick with Panasonic and ditch all of the Oly gear?

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
  10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  11. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Buying new focal length lenses is always fun when you push yourself out of the comfort zone.

My take on gear is that it must truly transform into higher performance to justify the $$$$ to replace the same FL.

Shooting a wedding reception all i need is a 24mm/85mm fast prime, UWA f/2.8, Mid telephoto f/2.8, long telephoto f/2.8 and a macro and a lot of speedlites for remote flash (no more boring cookie cutter bounced flash events documentation) and at least 1 strobe with portable AC and 7 foot octadome good enough for an indoor party for at least 150++ people ;)

As a guilty gear whore I've sold a lot of lenses lately. I've been analyzing my photography and pushing myself out of my comfort zone.

I have no hesitation in dumping lenses. If I miss it I will just buy it again down the road. Light modifiers and lighting gear is much more justifiable in cash outlay.
  12. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    When M43 was my second system, I got the kit zooms, the Pany 14 GWC1, and a Sigma 30 used, and added the 75-300mm. Then I sold my Nikon gear and added 12-35, 35-100 (f4/5.6), PL 100-400, and 7.5mm FE. The only lenses that don't get used regularly are the 2 Oly kit zooms and the Sigma 30. I really should sale the 2 kits zooms and the Sigma and add one of the WA Zooms and call it a day. While not used as much as the other lens the Pany 14 & GWC1 is very useful on the EP5 as a travel kit matched with the 35-100 or 75-300 depending on where I am going for size.
  13. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Photography gear is like other stuff, you can never have to much stuff. Only recently I have started to get rid of some of my stuff and discovering stuff I had long forgotten about tucked away in boxes and drawers.

I kept the lens, a Rodenstock 127mm from my first Polaroid a 110A, , threw away the camera. I still have my Minolta Dimage V I bought in 1998, my first SLR bought new a Minolta SRT 101 and on and on.

If you don't have duplicates and possibly triplicates of everything you don't have enough stuff.
  14. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Agreed! i used primes on my last travel to Jerusalem.
  15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Thanks for posting this subject. I've been contemplating retirement and my needs will significantly change. So its good that I had to think this through and put it in writing.

In the mid 90s I sold 99% of my gear and quitting photography – size, weight and too much gear were predominate factors. Since starting with digital photography I have kept my gear creep in check for the most part.

A large part of that is in realizing that:
    - each piece of equipment must pay for itself several times over (self imposed but it works)
    - a faster lens may only offer a small change in OOF areas or sharpness that customers will never notice.
    - a unique photo could sell more than one taken with a much more expensive lens or technically better. Hence, a much more expensive gear item is really going to have to offer a very quintessential uniqueness over a much less expensive item.
    - photography is only part of my life and not the driving factor having to have the "best" of everything.
    - Primes. For some reason I have always limited myself to 4 primes from an ultra wide to telephoto. A normal length lens (40-58mm in 35mm equivalence) had never been in my collection before, but with m4/3s I found a necessity for it.

My decisions have not been easy and often required a lot of research sometimes renting lenses to reach my decisions. But my real needs (not wants) still have warranted more gear than what I'll want to keep in the future.
  16. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    New Zealand
    Spend fortunes on camera gear when younger and carried too much stuff.
    My approach is now: How to do more with less? The Panasonic GM5 with the P 14-42 II lens gives me more pleasure than my Canon EOS 5 (film) with two L Lenses or my Nikon FM3A with the 24/50/135 lenses or my Konica Hexar 28mm single focal length amongst others.
    8 Mpx is enough for me to get a decent sized print and allows me to us Ex Tele at the puch of a button which gives me 14-60mm focal length. I carry it everywhere and hardly notice the weight.
  17. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    My largest problem is that I've got 40-150 but I really can't figure out when I should use it. I'm using it for portraits, and that's about it.
    I cant seem to be able to use it when on vacations, I never find a framing where I need it.

The 12-40 my gf is using.

I'm running around with primes, when we're together.
    So a 25mm with a clutch ring and a 60mm macro is what I really want now.
  18. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    San Luis Obispo
    What's wrong with making choices about what to take with you? I don't even try to take all my lenses along anymore. Instead, I pick and choose a few based on how I'm feeling and what I'm expecting to see. Just a matter of accepting that you won't always have a lens that you own with you, but that isn't *that* much different than not having a lens you don't own with you.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    my own view is that I use my stuff more when I have less of it
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    and you probably get shots you're happy with :)

I whacked the 20mm onto my GF for a party a while back, because I wanted to hand the camera around to whoever wanted to take a shot.

As it happens I'm in this shot, so ya can't blame me
    • Like Like x 1