1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

too many products too soon ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, Jun 29, 2011.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    is it me, or is Olympus introducing too many next gen/new products too soon? I bought my EPL-1 only last June, and it seems like new cameras are being introduced quarterly...if someone was in the market for a m4/3 camera, it's getting more confusing.......how would one choose ? could this backfire on OLY ? just sayin....

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Tell that to Panasonic. Here are Oly's previous announcements:

E-pl2 - Jan 2011
    E-pl1 - Feb 2010

And Panasonic's announced cameras in that timeframe:

GF3 - June 2011
    G3 - May 2011
    GF2 - Nov 2010
    GH2 - Sept 2010
    G2 - March 2010
    G10 - March 2010

I'll agree a staggered approach would have been better. The E-pl2 replacement probably could have been held until the end of the year and nobody would have noticed. The fact they are releasing all 3 at one time to me is an indicator that the internals are taking a big leap forward - the AF they are touting, if it is anywhere near where their (leaked) statements indicate, warrant the 3 body release. We'll see shortly!

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Okay, not be a Panasonic apologist but in all fairness you are also looking at 3 distinct lines of cameras with significant differences.

GF - small bodied llke the PENs
    G - small DSLR style bodies with built in EVF
    GH - Small DSLR style bodies with better sensors, performance and video

The E-PL2 and E-PL2 are essentially the same camera with updated features

4. Following the latest GF3 and Olympus releases there will have been 16 Micro 4/3 camera bodies in two-and-a-half years.

5. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It's a lot to be sure, but I would say it's also a reflection of a new format finding it's fit as well as the hold that Canon and Nikon have over the DSLR market. Olympus and Panasonic are breaking new ground and working their way through market reactions.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with you there, pxpaulx! If the improvements are really that profound, then customers will demand they be available in all tiers of camera levels. That's probably what Olympus is banking on.

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I agree. I just don't understand why they continue to pour resources into producing more cameras when there are still huge gaps in the lens line. I'd much rather see a bright telephoto that I can use with my three month old E-PL2 than a new body I can buy to replace it...

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I guess I can agree with you, but I never even notice it myself. The Micro Four-Thirds lens collection is too slow for me as a rule, so I only use Four-Thirds glass on my E-PL2 anyways. The selection there is already quite complete. ;) And I guess Olympus kinda figures that too, looking at that leaked press release which mentions over 500 lenses that can be mounted or adapted. ;)

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Olympus did not make the conditions consumers demand, they simply react to it.

You know the saying, be careful what you ask for...

10. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Absolutely, instead of three bodies of various degrees of improvement they should have put all their efforts into the E-P3 and made a "Pro" body that would spin the wheels of all the competition. They have made a huge mistake I am afraid. The two new lenses sound pretty nice but according to previous posts their speed is dependent on the new body.....too bad..so sad!!

11. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i totally agree....i'm trying to save to buy lenses....not new bodies......but really...couldn't the release of the EPL3 have waited? what was the point of the 2? how many people may be pisssed that a new model was released 4 months after theirs.....what i mean is , the 3 should have been the EPL2.....

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    You know that you don't have to buy them all, right? ;)

I reckon that new bodies help increase market share (new M43 buyers purchasing a body and kit lens) while new lens help keep current customers in the fold. It's not black and white though, as a more complete lens lineup may convince photographers on the sidelines to finally jump in. But overall, I think it makes sense to focus on bodies as they try to grow market share...

13. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I believe you're too harsh... Olympus doesn't have the might (market share) to rule the camera world, so putting their effort into a release something that makes people switch from E-P1 and E-P2 to E-P3 wouldn't really be a great move. It's the new consumers they're after primarily, so they can't get by without offering competitive lower range models. No chance wedding photographers suddenly forget D700 even if Oly beats it. It takes time to convince professionals...
    The sad fact is no one has done it otherwise. Panasonic lenses focused faster on Panasonic bodies, now Olympus did something, and :43: is the only cross-brand one at all. It's a very young system and so it's changing. Hey, my E-P1 doesn't support VF-2, and neither do Pannys, now that's a limitation! By the way, IMHO, AF dependency on the body is better than the opposite since bodies usually have shorter lifespan than good lenses.

14. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i guess i'll still keep my Trip 35 in my bag, sorry for the analogue reference on a digital page....

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If they can make improvements, why wouldn't you want them to keep releasing them? I think perhaps the manufacturing chain is more flexible now than it was years ago.

Perhaps a side effect of this new quicker model changeover is that every 6-10 months people look over the new offerings and complain that things haven't changed much.....LOL. I'm glad the E-P3 is coming out now......because I'm satisfied with what I have. Hopefully 3 or 4 more new models will come out so that when I'm ready for a new camera, there will be a TRUE and NOTICEABLE difference. :43::thumbup:

16. Jordan

Jordan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Same thing I hoping for Luke. Since I just got this E-PL2 a few weeks ago, I think it will serve me well for a few years, and then something great should be out.

17. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I have been into m4/3 less than a year and a half and I am getting my third camera body, a G3, having started with a GF1 and went a little in reverse to get a G1 (at a good price). It does seem a little crazy. At least the gradual increase in my collection of m4/3 lenses are good with all of the bodies. It is exciting to be in at the beginning of this format.

18. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I have 3 bodies.....ALL of them are "out of date", but they all take great photos and I have NO intention of buying any of the current bodies. If they are upgrades, they're minor (to me) and in some ways, they get further away from what I'm looking for.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL2 is very different from the E-PL3. The E-PL3 is a complete redesign, while the E-P3 is carrying on from both E-PL and E-P legacy. Before this new generation is when the lines were too muddled together, what with the E-PL2 trumping the E-P2 in too many ways. This next generation shows exactly where all 3 lines are finding their distinguished personalities.

20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    THANK YOU!!

If Oly goes out of business, it will have been a bad thing. If not, all it does is give more customers more choices. I'm personally geateful for that. The epl3 looks like the exact mix of features I've been waiting for in an m43 camera. I'm sure the other models look better to others. So we're each more likely to find something we want here. This is somehow BAD?!?!?! So sad?!?!?!? Really?

Jeez, I think it's wonderful and can't find any downside to it. Will I be mad if Oly releases something else potentially better before I've had the epl3 for six months? I can't imagine why I would be. If it gives me a compelling reason to upgrade, I'll consider it. If not, I won't. My last Olympus was an ep2. I moved over to Panasonic because I saw some compelling upgrades in the gh2 that Oly hadn't matched. Now they're offering something better for my purposes and I'll likely buy it if the hands on is as good as the initial impression.

If any or all of these cameras don't give you a compelling enough reason to buy them, by all means don't. I'm personally thrilled by the rapid pace of improvements we're seeing in small mirrorless cameras and getting them out there for sale is how we see it. I see nothing to be upset about here at ALL.

-Ray