Too many options but I think I've narrowed it down....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by 5tatman, Mar 17, 2014.

1. 5tatman

5tatman Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2014
    Ashton Under Lyne
    After having a proper think and a ponder, I've decided to go for a portrait ish lens i think. like the oly 45mm 1.8 or either the 30 or 60 dn 2.8 .

Main purpose for lens...
    take some better shots of the family
    Better shots at gigs. I'm a wedding DJ and I take load of pictures of the dancefloor at the events I do for the client to then share on FB etc For example
    I use my 14mm for the uplighting pictures. no issues changing lens after that.

I do use my flash gun for gigs, not really experimented for the family shots yet.

My head seems to think the oly as It has the extra f so in theory should be easier to take low light pictures and a little wider for dance floor shots. The sigma new comes in at the price of the oly 2nd hand.

One of the problems I find is that there doesn't seem to be a bad lens out there. Soon as I see someone using or recommend a particular lens somewhere, I do a google search look around and every lens seems to come in at 4/4.5/5 star rating, with lots of positives. Makes it hard for novice like me to know where to spend my hard earned readies.

So over to you guys, I'm really talking entry level here (not pro £££), that I can use and why you would recommend it. It's going on a Pana G2, I have the Pana 14mm 2.8, and the Pana14-45.

Am I right for trying to get a lens to do both? As the 2 main reasons for buying are above, what options would you go with regards, budget, and what I already have?

Your thoughts & opinions are most welcome

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think you are right about the 45/1.8. Great for posed portraits, and will also do well if you want to shoot "casual portraits" at weddings or other events. Should provide a nice contrast to the wider shots you have on your FB.
  3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Looking at the photos you linked to, IMO you need the fastest lens you can get. People are moving and the lighting is not very high.

Go for a used Oly 45mm. They are $279 refurbished from Olympus with a warranty. A used one should be a little less.
  4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    How well do you like the 45mm end of your Panasonic? Try shooting a couple of events with flash (so you shutter stays high enough), and you should know whether it works. 45 may be tight for indoors, the 30 (or a legacy 28) may allow you to get a bit more in the shot.
  5. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    get the 45, the sigma's are not bad but you are going to wish you went with the faster glass
  6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I'm a full time wedding photographer, and (although I don't use m4/3 for weddings) I think the new Oly 25mm would be a better fit for you. It would cost a little more since you'll need to buy new, whereas you can easily find a used 45mm, but if you can swing $400 I definitely think you should go for the 25mm to complement the 14.
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Since your G2 does not have the greatest high Iso, you should definitely go for the brightest possible lens, so 45/1.8.