Too many cameras...what would you do?

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
I am getting a G9 at the end of the week, and this puts me in a quandary. I have too may cameras..... I know i know, no such thing. Right now i have an Em1 mk 1 and an Em 10 mk2, two 14-42 lenses, two 40-150 zooms, and a variety of primes. My Em1 has a super low shutter count.... around 3500 actually. Once i get the g9, I wont have much use for the Em1 really. I love the em 10 mk2 and it is my go everywhere camera. So i am wanting to put the Em1 together as a complete kit... camera, hld7 grip, 12 batteries, chrgers, full set of kit lenses, olympus fish eye adapter for the 14-42, olympus fl50 speedlight, a nice think tank bag, a nice old MF lens for playing with focus peaking, and a few other doodads and selling it, if i can find someone who is looking to get into m4/3 at a reasonable cost. I also considered having it IR converted, but dont know how much i would use it. I also thought of just keeping it in a bag as a back up set of basic gear..... If i sold it, the money would go into some more glass that i have been wanting, which is more useful to me than any of the other options...but nobody seems to want to buy a low mileage awesome camera for a killer price..... what would you guys do ?

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
When you get up to 10-12 digital cameras (film cameras don't count) then you can start thinking you may have a few too many. Till then you just have a few. Enjoy, you only go around once. Think of it this way. They are keeping the dust from settling on your shelf. :)

scotttnz

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the same first world problem, but with a GX85 instead of your EM10, and G85 instead of you EM1. Not sure what I am going to do with the G85 when I get the G9.

Last edited:

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
Same here. When I found out that you can get a $200.discount on an EM10-lll when I got my 300mm f4 ,I could not resist,even though people around here say it is a horrible camera. It is not. It looks just like my EM5-ll plus it has a flip down screen. The only thing I don't like is the battery is too small and so I will have to buy a new spare battery. Anything it doesn't do,another one of my cameras does. So when I stand out in the rain doing BIF pictures ,I will just have to take another camera.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
You would certainly make a very compelling package for the right buyer, but parting out might move the EM1, lenses and accessories faster. Unless you are really in need of the funds perhaps using your new G9 for a couple months before selling your EM1 would allow you to decide which maker suits your needs best. The Olympus will still command the same price in two months.

Or sell it to me for a song!

edmsnap

Mu-43 Veteran
Whenever I think I have too many cameras I just take a deep breath, panic, and buy another. Maybe not the first strategy you'd think of, but it's actually enjoyable.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
You would certainly make a very compelling package for the right buyer, but parting out might move the EM1, lenses and accessories faster. Unless you are really in need of the funds perhaps using your new G9 for a couple months before selling your EM1 would allow you to decide which maker suits your needs best. The Olympus will still command the same price in two months.

Or sell it to me for a song!
If you are interested I would be willing to make you a sweet deal. Send me a pm and we can discuss it there.

Lu1Wang

Mu-43 Regular
As someone whom prefer 2-bodies setup when outing, having the option to go completely WR is very useful. I would keep the E-M1 for those scenarios.

I guess that's why I also have too many cameras..... can't let any of them go!

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Too many.....3 with new G9? ha ha.

You say you have two 40-150 lenses, is one of those the f2.8 Pro? And do you have a MC-14 to go with it? If so I would keep the EM1 as while the 40-150 f2.8 Pro works just fine by itself on my new G9, is does not work well when adding the MC-14 (on G9 only). My sig has the Olympus lenses I have and all work just great on the G9, but for some reason, in either AFS or AFC, my keeper rate with the MC-14 added to the 40-150 f2.8 Pro falls to less than 10%, even with still subjects. The AF simply does not work.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
Too many.....3 with new G9? ha ha.

You say you have two 40-150 lenses, is one of those the f2.8 Pro? And do you have a MC-14 to go with it? If so I would keep the EM1 as while the 40-150 f2.8 Pro works just fine by itself on my new G9, is does not work well when adding the MC-14 (on G9 only). My sig has the Olympus lenses I have and all work just great on the G9, but for some reason, in either AFS or AFC, my keeper rate with the MC-14 added to the 40-150 f2.8 Pro falls to less than 10%, even with still subjects. The AF simply does not work.
Interesting.... Alas, I am a mere mortal and a not afford such nice things lol.... Both my 401150 lenses are the kit lenses. I primarily shoot primes, so have not been able to justify the pro version

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
If you are interested I would be willing to make you a sweet deal. Send me a pm and we can discuss it there.

Sadly I just picked up a used E-M1 this month to compliment my E-M10 II, so I'm not in the market. My wife is already unconvinced that I needed a second body, so a third certainly won't fly in my household unless it comes with a large doghouse!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Sadly I just picked up a used E-M1 this month to compliment my E-M10 II, so I'm not in the market. My wife is already unconvinced that I needed a second body, so a third certainly won't fly in my household unless it comes with a large doghouse!
Does your wife have more than 2 pairs of shoes, or handbags?

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
...but nobody seems to want to buy a low mileage awesome camera for a killer price..... what would you guys do ?
I'd conclude that my price wasn't a "killer" price but rather that it was too high. A less likely conclusion would be that I hadn't advertised it in the right place.

The eBay "sold" items and prices are a good place to start studying price reality. If you sell here on the forum, with no fees, you can sell for 10-15% under eBay history and net about the same as the eBay sellers.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm not in the market either but I agree, don't bother making a kit. If you can wait a bit, you can sell components for a better value, and you will have more buyers, because even if the deal is as sweet as you put it, there's a ceilling that some people just can't cross in absolute value while they could have afforded a couple of pieces.
Just my 2¢.
M.

Rifleair

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just a thought for those who say "I can't justify........."

You don't have to justify anything, you just have to be able to afford it!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Sell as separate items. More fuss, but you will get more for them individually. People want certain things, different things, so sell separately. We sold a Pentax as a set. Body, 2 lenses, flashgun. £88:00. Pity-full.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I think you need to think differently about cameras and lenses (and other equipment) when evaluating whether to keep or re-sell. Digital cameras, by their very nature, lose value fairly rapidly. On the other hand lenses, tripods, etc. generally maintain their value much more.

So if you don't think you'll use the E-M1, my advice would be to sell it. If you decide in six months or a year that you would have rather held onto it, then you can re-buy another one for less than you sell yours for today.

As far as whether to sell it in a giant package deal or a la carte, @Mike Wingate has the right idea. From a monetary perspective you'll almost certainly come out ahead selling things individually, but it will take more of your time and effort to do so.

Latest threads

Top Bottom