1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

too lazy to read instruction manual - migrating focus point

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by caimi, Feb 20, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I admit it, I'm too lazy to read the instruction manual to determine how to anchor the focus box on my EM-5 to the center. It seems it migrates around the frame of its own free will and I have to manually bring it back to center.

Can someone give me the step by step to anchor it permanently to center?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Hit the left arrow, scroll with back wheel until you get a single point, then use the arrows on the back pad to bring it to center. Then hit OK

Then get your manual out and read it!:biggrin:

3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    yes, but

I've done that, Lawrence A. But that doesn't stop it from moving around the screen. Is there any way to permanently place it in the middle?

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Read the manual ;-) lol

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Ditto read manual :)

6. ArthurDayne

ArthurDayne New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2013
    Do you have face detect on? Or have it set to continuous autofocus? I don't know why it would move otherwise.

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I'm too lazy to type the procedure, suggest you read the manual .... :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Well, I assure you I have read the manual, and I have yet to find a way to lock down to focus point so that it never moves. I know how to bring it back to the center, but if there's a way to make it stay there, I have yet to find it. Please enlighten me.

I can lock it down on my E-PL1, but not on the OMD.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yawn, I am too lazy to reply .............

• Like Like x 3
  10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Dave Jenkins,

Thank you for vindicating me and legitimizing my laziness. I have no faith in instruction manuals and you have confirmed my belief that they are not to be read under any circumstance. Now, how do I anchor the focusing point?

11. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    caimi.

Hit the OK button, up comes that quick setting screen. Approx in the center of the screen is a diagonal box, highlight it. hit OK button again, a large box with squares will come up, use the arrow keys to select the focus spot you want, hit OK. Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt, you are done.

12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

But will it stay there? The last time I posted this question, I was told that it was a firmware problem and that Olympus would have to issue a fix.

13. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I love to read the manual of my camera, there isn't too much information in the manual though, I found many most help information of settings in this forum.

If you love your camera, you should feel good to spend time with it.

14. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Stays there.

Dave Jenkins.

It will stay there until you change it.

15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Make sure that the touchscreen is completely off. The only time the focus box in my E-M5 moves unintentionally is when the touch focus is on, and I belly focus by accident.

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Lol Read the manual...

Actually NO it wont stay there unless....

...you got to Menu->GearB->Button Dial->arrow pad->Off

Now your focus point is set to centre and it wont move and you cant move it.

Personally I would still keep the 'eye-focus' for portraits in place but this will not move the focus point from its central position.

• Like Like x 2
  17. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    YES! Thanks a million.. :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I found GearB and then Button Dial, but what which of the 4 arrow pads am I supposed to hit next that will bring me to an "Off" selection? I tried hitting all 4 of them and none took me to an "Off" selection. I also tried pressing the OK button after selecting Button Dial and that didn't take me to an "Off" selection either Thanks.

19. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Not read all f the posts, so sorry if I am repeating.

I set my 'record' button to re-set the focus point back to the centre. It is a feature I use on my Nikon all the time so was missing it.

Whilst doing some street photography yesterday in London with a pal, we worked out that it was a simple job to make the change.

For me the idea of fixing it, defeats the great benefit of moving it around based on picture composition. So our solution to use the 'record' button as we don't use the 'record' ability of the camera seems to be the best solution.

Best regards

Chris

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Actually your confusion is because my post was badly worded.

Should be....

Menu -> Gear B -> Button Function - > Arrow Pad function - > Off

Basically you are setting it so that if you touch the arrow pad during normal camera operation instead of moving the focus point - nothing happens. The arrow pad will still function as normal when you use it to navigate through the menu.

• Like Like x 4