1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

too heavy? mount damage?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kevwilfoto, Apr 24, 2012.

1. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Would the adapted 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 SWD lens be too heavy to hang off the front of a tripod-mounted micro-4/3 body (without extra support)? If support would be needed, I'd love to hear tips on how to best accomplish that with this lens/body combo.

I got the Olympus MMF-3 as part of the OM-D free accessory rebate, thinking I would get that SWD lens. I'm worried it will be too heavy, though.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I think the mount is strong enough, I would be more concerned about the tripod socket pulling loose.

3. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe I'll rent one and try it. If it doesn't work out, I guess I'll be selling the MMF-3.

4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I would be very cautious with heavy lenses that the newer smaller cameras were not designed to handle.

I damaged an E-p1 bottom plate, by putting too much pressure on it, on a tripod. I still use very large lenses, on Pen cameras :smile:, but NEVER on a tripod mount. :eek:

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd be careful. The adapters is fairly lightweight, and the unsupported lens puts a lot of torque on it and the lens mount. I'd prefer to have a support system.

There are some suggestions regarding generic support in https://www.mu-43.com/f67/generic-tripod-mount-rings-20967/

DH

• Like Like x 1
  6. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Yeah, I can see the big/fast lenses being great as long as you're willing to hand-hold them or if they have a tripod mount on them. I'd be more inclined to shoot prime lenses in that situation, though, and lately I seem to concentrate on low light landscapes and long exposure shots and my tripod is essential.

If I just just get my hands on ~12mm and ~25mm tilt/shift and 25mm in :43: format I really wouldn't care about the rest. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For tilt (or shift, just not both), you can make your own (tilt adapter + legacy lens). 12mm is a bit tricky - the Sigma 12-24mm is pretty big, but for 24mm you'll have lots of options...

DH

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I don't know the lens you speak of, but here is an eBay link to tripod mounts. Find one made for the lens, or for one with the same diameter as the lens' support area. The closest I could find was slightly larger than the diameter of my lens. Once I received it, I removed the felt, replacing it with a thicker rubber. tripod mount -adapter | eBay

TAKE THIS WARNING TO HEART. Be certain the tripod can physically support the load. The tripod may be rated as higher, but don't bet on it.

Be certain to get a metal head with a locking quick release mechanism.

My lens is appx 46oz. The existing tripod was a reasonably heavy duty Velbon, but I could see the quick release holder flexing under the weight of the extremely front heavy lens. I searched for a new one on eBay, paying close attention to the weight limitations. Allowing 5 lbs (on the heavy side) for the lens/camera combination, I ordered a tripod rated at 12 lbs. Later I read its reviews to learn failures for much lower weight lenses. I canceled my order and went to our only "real" camera store with knowledgeable staff. I went home with Manfrotto 190XB legs and 804RC2 head. If I had the money, I'd get graphite, but I'm very happy with what I have.

Cosmicar_f1_5:22_5_90mm.

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    That's not heavy! I Googled your lens it's not much more than the Panny 14-140.

My suggestions above don't apply to you! However I will let them remain for someone who may need the advice.

You didn't specify what you are attaching it to. I assume if the cameras tripod thread is metal, the body probably will support that lens. If its nylon or plastic, I'd be concerned. I only mention this because I bought one of the first olympus digital camera which probably generated the largest file size of 350kb, not mb. It had a nylon thread that that became striped by the tripod. I'm certain Olympus has improved their structure since the early 1990's.

10. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The 12-60mm weights 575g and the adapter MMF-3 only 42g, thus the mount has to bear 617g. The Panasonic 100-300mm is the heaviest native lens for ยต4/3 and weights 520g. Therefore, I am quite sure that the mount is strong enough. I don't know, however, how much is too much for tripod socket of the OM-D, but I assume that 617g may not be a problem as long as the tripod stands still. However, forces will get much stronger, if the tripod is carried around with the camera on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1