Tony's Intro and his Fountain Pen Photography Q.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Tony Rex, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Hiya all,

I'm Tony from Melbourne, Australia. I was a Nikon MF shooter and got left behind by the digital revolution, until I bought the EM-1 recently. The cash-back and free grip+battery offer from Olympus was too good to pass up :)

So I bought the kit mainly for taking photos of my fountain pen collection for the blog and family snapshots, and so far I'm quite happy with the 12-40 for those. Here's a sample:

19171655811_81e147dfbd_b.

As you can see it's pretty much product photography. Kind of still relearning here, so please bear with me. Suggestions are most welcome!

Tony

• Like Like x 6
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome, Tony! I love fountain pens and Pelikans in particular. If you want to get real close, say for a nib shot, the Olympus 60mm macro should be on your short list. Superb lens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Thanks Amin for all your hard work! You've got a great community here. I learnt a lot by just lurking, so I thought it was time to jump in. Anyway. Yay, another Pelikan fan! :) My main focus is Pelikan!

10417929505_e8e0e98be0_o.

One of my Toledos and Design.Y custom leather notebook. Please pardon the camera phone shot. I think I gotta retake that photo sooner or later. Yes, I've been thinking about the 60mm or the 75mm (plus raynox)..

• Like Like x 4
  4. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Hi Tony! I love fountain pens, too - fell in love with them when I lived in France for a year - but sadly I haven't had mine out in years as my life/work is all digital. I was a part time calligrapher in a former life, so pen and ink was my source of spending money for a while.

I look forward to your pen captures.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Interesting blog Tony. Makes me want to go dust off my pens and use them. Picked up a Sheaffer Lifetime desktop in box at a garage sale last week for a buck. Pretty rough but a buck!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Welcome! I love fountain pens too, though a Parker Sonnet - a nice black and gray marbled one - is about as fancy as I get. Unfortunately, my handwriting is truly atrocious, and my friends pleaded with me to stop writing to them in long-hand, so my fountain pens no longer get much use.

But I'll enjoy your photos of them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    Nice...I have a Toledo 710 that is a treasure plus some other Pelikans, but maybe my favorite is this 1935 Originals of its Time Celluloid.

1935Pelikan2.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Fantastic pen mate. I've always wanted the 1935 blue lapis reissue myself. My Toledos are the crown jewel of the collection, but my main focus is rare vintage.

I took this studio shot not long ago.

24353024051_bbe6cb56b9_o.

Trivia: What Pelikan is the above?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    I love the vintage Pelikans too. Which model is that one? Mine are 140's on the common side of old. Here is the only one I have of my 710.

. Pelikan710_5155.JPG

And the only image of my 140's

pel140pair6652img9xb.

I recently added a 1970's Kaweco vest pocket with OB nib that is a joy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Fantastic pens! Really nice patina on the Toledo too. And I love the 140 nibs. Definitely one of my best writer.

16943817029_3a9edf3acc_z.

However, the answer to the trivia is not 140 though.. Close, but no cigar :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    Well that one is a beauty. Green filled engraved dome cap, gold banded cap, green strip binde, OB? gold nib...guessing an early 400 in very fine shape. I do not have my Pelikan Schreibgeräte here, and cannot read Latin, so got to guess on this one :)

12. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Hahaha.. No, but I could tell you're a Pelikan nutter just like me! I'm glad I'm not alone here :)

Your jade 1935 rekindled my interest. I'd be happy with one of those, but they are quite hard to find and expensive nowadays. It's a beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    I really thinking that cannot be a 120...with green strip binde as I have only seen those in black, and that nib looks 140 or better, but I do not know anything other than the 400's with the dome cap and round end. You are cheating by not showing the engraving and number of chicks :) If I get home early enough tonight I will consult the bible.

I bought the 1935 in a moment of supreme weakness...it is a beauty but my 140's are nicer writers.

Love the Pelikan's that is for sure. I have modern 400's, 600 in 400 size and a sweet as sweet can be super flex tiny 300 that I simply love...though it is thought to be a lady's pen.

I picked up a bottle of Sailor Oka-yama a while back...blood red....or more moody morgue maroon. Loving it as a change up from my standard Noodler's Zhivago. Running the Oka-yama in my Kaweco.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    I love that you joined the m43 crowd to photo your Pelikans! Here is another odd-ball Pelikan...a silk scarf of an old advertising poster...in this case used to showcase other of my obsessions...I think this was from the 4-chick era, though one is likely behind the Akubra...hum you might be familiar with those eh?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Ooh, love it. The fountain pen club on Mu-43! I have a large, eclectic, and not too well maintained collection. Need to divest and focus! :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    That silk scarf is awesome. And so is the kit and the red blade. Here's something red one for ya..

8745651247_bbd738a401_o.

Pardon the chiku-rin lightness.. I should've mixed it with a bit of black in.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    Tony, unless that is a narrow notepad...that is a long pen....that has got to be a striped 120...but they are always solids...you got me. As it cannot be a 120...just too nice.

So my only guess is a rare 400nn or 400n.

18. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    That redbird is exceptional...once again one I have not seen. I like the red against the Sterling. That light olive is pretty hard to read, but getting the pen blessed would be a good a grand idea.

19. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    No. But you're right, the size is the same as 400nn yet the finial is domed like 120/140. That's what makes the 300 quite special :) I've got half a dozen of 400nn but only one 300.

I've chosen that pen for that particular lighting setup in order to highlight the visualated barrel striations and shadowless shot, which is another photography trivia by itself, but we are among strobist nutjobs here who probably had figured that out already.

8496141479_ecfcee8446_o.
    M700.

20. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    Ahh, my modern 300 is quite short, I have never ever heard of or seen a long dome capped 300....nice trivia that is for sure.

The 700 I am not even gonna look...

As to shadowless lighting I have no experience with that equipment wise... but here is one my wife snapped of me with the most giant of wet softboxes to be had...and not a shadow.

13073382035_980157a022_z.

And my image from the old V1.

13073708964_1d763e1da6_z.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1