Tony Northrup's new bogus video "Micro Four-Thirds is DEAD"

Status
Not open for further replies.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The reason I mentioned D4s and ISO 12800 should be pretty obvious to you. The best E-M1II can not match the quality of the FF at the same Hi-ISO. This implication is obvious because that's what people focus on -- Hi-ISO, because a Sony A7III priced at $2000 has better Hi-ISO performance (ISO to ISO match) than a G9 or the E-M1II. No relevance to m43 dying? If I am a consumer brain washed to think Hi-ISO must be my #1 priority in buying a camera body and E-M1II is priced the same as the A7III, then I would choose the A7III. And if I shoot @12800 ISO with the A7III which amateurs sometimes tend to do as they bring theirs inside stadiums to shoot their kids hockey play or soccer play; the A7III files will be less noisy. These people aren't educated enough to select the proper lenses, know which shutter speeds and aperture to use. Though if they go to school and get taught by Lindsay, then I would say most would probably go and buy a m/43. But sadly, it is not happening on a regular basis. Even where I bought my ZS100, the store where I bought it from tried to dissuade a buyer from ordering a Nikon Z6 and that his needs are better served with a E-M10III or II with Pro lenses. Even with me supporting my friend who was trying to sell the Olympus, finally the client opted for the Z6. Everything is about marketing and perception and perception sells.

We are going in circles. We all know the weaknesses of m4/3 and iso noise. But how many regular people do you know who shoot at that iso? Most people shoot with smartphones.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
If I am a consumer brain washed to think Hi-ISO must be my #1 priority in buying a camera body and E-M1II is priced the same as the A7III, then I would choose the A7III.

Last time I checked the average brainwashed consumer thought MP was the #1 thing to look for.

bye

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We are going in circles. We all know the weaknesses of m4/3 and iso noise. But how many regular people do you know who shoot at that iso? Most people shoot with smartphones.

Totally agree with you that few people shoot at that ISO, but marketing out there says you do. So basically, Tony is simply playing to his base, stirring up confusion and fear among them so they react using the common ploy fear tactics. It's a standard ploy to manipulate people moving in a certain direction.

bye

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Last time I checked the average brainwashed consumer thought MP was the #1 thing to look for.

That was until the consumers realize that
1, Higher megapixels require higher skills set, a tripod and good lenses to realize that potential
2, Higher megapixel decrease the IQ of certain cameras; that's why Olympus went from 16MP in TG4 to 12MP in TG5.
3, Once you sold to all the fools about having a Nikon D800 36MP; you can't fool the same crowd again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
That was until the consumers realize that
1, Higher megapixels require higher skills set, a tripod and good lenses to realize that potential
2, Higher megapixel decrease the IQ of certain cameras; that's why Olympus went from 16MP in TG4 to 12MP in TG5.
3, Once you sold to all the fools about having a Nikon D800 36MP; you can't fool the same crowd again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

You know that and I know that, but their is a never ending line of fools who continually buy bodies based on MP.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Totally agree with you that few people shoot at that ISO, but marketing out there says you do. So basically, Tony is simply playing to his base, stirring up confusion and fear among them so they react using the common ploy fear tactics. It's a standard ploy to manipulate people moving in a certain direction.

I also thought MP was number 1. Oh well. You are the insider.

In any case, I will give you a short story that I personally experienced, not a hypothetical one.

One of my photographer friend asked me to go to do night photography with him on August 11 2016. I had never done it, but I sure love pressing the shutter, so I gladly said yes. Went to Trillium Lake. We both setup ahead of time. He used his Nikon D610 FF setup, I used my em1 and 12-40. I knew I had live composite, so this was a perfect opportunity for me to test it out.

We both took pictures for about 45 minutes each time. Right as we had started, we were joined by another photographer with his D810 and what ever zoom he had on. Standing right next to each other, it was very interesting for me to see the 3 of us. I pressed the shutter to activate the exposer and that was it. I just hung out and chit chatted with some other people who were there to see the meteor shower. My good friend and the other person with the D810 kept busy, constantly checking their camera.

I was very happy that I had an Olympus camera. This technology offered in the EM1 made my life so much easier that night I’ll never forget it. Even if my results were going to be inferior to my friend’s, I was still happy. Although, to be honest, I had no idea what the results were going to be. Me doing this type of photography for the first time, I knew there was a good chance that the photos would be deleted at home. Anyway, here are the results of my ‘’efforts’’(hardly) and my friends after he merged hundreds of shots in PS.

My photo is the first one. His is the second photo.

01653058-27A1-4FD7-A0B5-DF38D53D1029.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No. Just done cmd shift refresh to reload everything. can only see the EM1 pic. I doubt I need to see theirs :)

I was trying to make a point, and hoping to hear back from biker, but I don’t want you to keep wondering.

You ARE seeing my friend’s photo below mine.

After a few hours of trying to merge his photos and not succeeding, he got frustrated and deleted everything.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I was trying to make a point, and hoping to hear back from biker, but I don’t want you to keep wondering.

You ARE seeing my friend’s photo below mine.

After a few hours of trying to merge his photos and not succeeding, he got frustrated and deleted everything.

Aaaaaah. Irony. Very good :)

I agree that the live composite feature is one of the best things about the system.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Honestly, this is a great analogy.

Eh, not really as there's no normalization back to a standard. Total light works, independent of sensor resolution, because we end up viewing the image at the same size whether it was taken with a smartphone or a medium format camera. If you only ever looked at 1:1 pixel views such that output size was only a function of image resolution then pixel size and resolution would be the controlling factors but that's not really the case.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Can someone explain to me how Olympus sensor shift's function can improve the dynamic range (dr) of your final stitched picture? My logic is that if a single image has a dr of let's say 10, how can stitching 8 pictures with a dr of 10 suddenly create a final product with a dr of 12 ?

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eh, not really as there's no normalization back to a standard. Total light works, independent of sensor resolution, because we end up viewing the image at the same size whether it was taken with a smartphone or a medium format camera. If you only ever looked at 1:1 pixel views such that output size was only a function of image resolution then pixel size and resolution would be the controlling factors but that's not really the case.
It is a good analogy, you keep thinking that sensors act like solar panels.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro

If your going to compare gear then you look at the gear alone, not how one individual uses it, or does with the file once its created.

For example I know several people who negate FF's advantages by cropping the hell out of their images. All that extra "light" is useless if it ends up on the digital floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom