Tony Northrup's new bogus video "Micro Four-Thirds is DEAD"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Is Tony Northrup still a thing???
This post is proof clickbait still garners views. Tony has a nice house, nice wife, nice cars, nice cameras...seems to be doing well for himself.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
The only difference between him and us is that he has figured out how to get paid for spouting off his opinions on the internet. The rest of us do it for free on forums... :)

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree with Tony that MFT is a declining system. Olympus in particular doesn’t seem to care about releasing a midrange, smaller camera with competent tracking AF to compete with the likes of Fuji and Sony.

That being said, I personally like buying mature/declining systems because the bang for the buck is much better. I just bought a D750 to complement my MFT gear. I can see both MFT and FF DSLR being discontinued in 5 years but by then I can hopefully get 5 years of use out of both systems and then maybe pick up a mirrorless FF then.

Declining system? Right! With all recently introduced f1.2 primes, the new Panasonic f1.7 zoom coming out soon, the new flagship Olympus camera etc... I think you are right. Lol.

Btw, which smaller Fuji/Sony cameras?

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’d say yes, based on his previous occupation.
Though his expertise is in some form of computer systems I think, does not make him have greater knowledge than many on here or other photo forums. I did my first two degrees in applied physics, specialized more towards nuclear fusion systems and I would not tell my sister in law (astro-physics) about her specialty. Likewise with my second pair art photography would not be telling my brother how the law works. There is a quote from Aristotle “The more you know, the more you know you don’t know.”
And yeah a lot of the less well off don't smoke or drink like they used to, half the pubs have closed down from lack of trade.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well your more than likely to be a damned site better than I am with a lot of woodworking.

Woodworking is easy, as its mostly about the equipment unless you are talking hand cut dovetails, or carving.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Though his expertise is in some form of computer systems I think, does not make him have greater knowledge than many on here or other photo forums. I did my first two degrees in applied physics, specialized more towards nuclear fusion systems and I would not tell my sister in law (astro-physics) about her specialty. Likewise with my second pair art photography would not be telling my brother how the law works. There is a quote from Aristotle “The more you know, the more you know you don’t know.”
And yeah a lot of the less well off don't smoke or drink like they used to, half the pubs have closed down from lack of trade.

He asked, if Tony was smart or something. The answer is yes. But that doesn’t mean that he is a good photographer. But he is a good salesman as well. How many of you can afford a $13k lens? He is doing something right.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Woodworking is easy, as its mostly about the equipment unless you are talking hand cut dovetails, or carving.
Well I like messing around with wood and with tools and jigs etc I can do a fair job, but I can't do things like dovetails and my oh my have I tried with repetitively poor results. These craftsmen who make beautiful cabinetry cause me both oceans of admiration and rivers of envy.

Real Name
Walter
But irritatingly, neither Nikon nor Canon have adequate advance amateur lenses for DX/crop cameras. So I end up being forced to get the expensive and heavier FX lenses for my DX camera. And as a result, am being pulled to FX only for the lenses, not the camera itself.

Agreed. IMHO: Ditto with Sony. Hence, for the serious APS-C user, neither Canon, Nikon, and Sony have a full and complete lineup of APS-C lenses. You end up buying their FF lenses, and what's the advantage then? You spend more, have to carry big and heavy gear, which negates getting a smaller APS-C body. I had a Canon 7D, and couldn't afford the L lenses to attach to it. The EF-S lineup had a few good lenses, but not much of a choice. Fuji seems to have the only fleshed out APS-C lineup mainly because they concentrated on it. For the CNS group, APS-C, especially lenses, is an afterthought. :)

I'm not commenting on Northrup's video because I didn't watch it. Not interested in his premise or opinion.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
For the CNS group, APS-C, especially lenses, is an afterthought. :)

IMO, it's not an afterthought, it's intentional. You buy an APS-C body and when you get feed up with your lens options you start buying FF lenses. Now that you have FF lens, they think you will be more likely to buy FF bodies going forward.

Telonson

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm pretty sure the Chinese manufacturers will pick it up.
M43 is an open standard, so that's a reasonable possibility. But they'd have to better the quality of previous Chinese M43 cameras, like the Xiaomi M1.

Producing a camera with adequate hardware isn't the part the Chinese makers will likely find challenging. The difficulty will be in creating reliable, quality firmware that delivers the features that users have come to expect. Modern cameras have extremely deep and complex feature sets.

Earlier this week, an Android camera was shown by Yongnuo that looked suspiciously M43 based. While it seemed to use their EF lens, the flange distance appeared far too short for EF. Suspect more Chinese market Android cameras will emerge, and M43 is the lens mount that makes the most sense.

And of course, DJI already have their own M43 cameras and now own Hasselblad. It could make sense for them to develop extremely lightweight M43 lenses to accompany their drones.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah, anybody can just knock out a violin out of a lump of wood. :rolleyes: ;)

That's a Luthier, A very specialized craft that's not usually lumped in with the much more general woodworking category. It's like the difference between a cabinetmaker and a carpenter.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Agreed. IMHO: Ditto with Sony. Hence, for the serious APS-C user, neither Canon, Nikon, and Sony have a full and complete lineup of APS-C lenses. You end up buying their FF lenses, and what's the advantage then? You spend more, have to carry big and heavy gear, which negates getting a smaller APS-C body. I had a Canon 7D, and couldn't afford the L lenses to attach to it. The EF-S lineup had a few good lenses, but not much of a choice. Fuji seems to have the only fleshed out APS-C lineup mainly because they concentrated on it. For the CNS group, APS-C, especially lenses, is an afterthought. :)

I don't know, I found the lens selection for Nikon and Canon APS-C DSLR to be quite amazing. You just have to get your lenses from Tamron, Tokina and Sigma. ADmittedly, wide primes are a rarity, but now they have f1.8 and f2 zooms starting at 20mm equivalent.

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As a fellow woodworker myself. It's easy for me because I'm mechanically inclined, I know my way around tools, and I like to work with my hands but I wouldn't say it's easy in general or for people in general.
I will disagree that woodworking is not mostly about the equipment as you still have to know how to properly operate certain equipment. You can't just place someone with no experience or knowledge and expect them to be able to set up and use a bandsaw or jointer properly.
I'd say woodworking is a lot like photography, it's easy if you have the right tools and you know what you're doing and how to do it right. Hard if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom