Tony Northrup's new bogus video "Micro Four-Thirds is DEAD"

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul macro

Mu-43 Regular
So what happens when the next suspected omd x comes and out performs the x-t3 does this make the fuji dead no .and for another matter how committed are panasonic in making there full frame cameras just a empty shell and a lot of talk at the moment

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
The above picture shows that there is some tongue in cheek there. Who would want to walk around with all that additional size and weight? By his logic, Canon and Nikon should be ditching all of their APS-C gear as well but that is not going to happen. As for the Canon FD mount, it was understood that Canon was going to support the FD mount for another 10 years when they came out with the EOS mount. (I know because I was pretty heavily invested in Canon FD gear at the time.) The last real Canon FD mount camera was the T-90, which came out in 1985. Panasonic has not put any time limit on M4/3 and continues to introduce new M4/3 bodies and lenses.

Last edited:

Mitchell j Wnorowski

New to Mu-43

Am watching this right now but from what I see, he believes m43 is going to die, specifically Panasonic will be ditching M43 and focus solely on the new L-mount ff mount. His words not mine. He also thinks that because 4/3 died after m43 was released, this will be the case with m43 after panasonic will now be making FF mirrorless.

What a bunch of baloney!

Lets turn the idea around and ask- now that Canikon released mirrorless FF, will they abandon DSLR full frame? Will they abandon aps-c? Because Fujifilm released medium format cameras, will they abandon their aps-c cameras?
That big bad ass lens he's holding which is so superior is 13K. Ever see his million dollar home. Let himhave his full frame fantasies M4/3 for real world. I'll never buy a thousand i phone either. Elitist snob !

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't think Olympus cares what Northrup says. They'll do what they want to do, and probably do it better than the others which will keep them in the game. Leica played that game plan out for years to get their marketing stronghold even though some of their gear isn't up to modern day standards, but their price is much above any and people buy into it.

Olympus led the way to mirrorless and likely the demise of the DSLR too with the mirror box even though it took the others 10 years to get onboard with the mirrorless thinking. They led also with the 5-axis IBIS too (Even though Minolta started that with two-axis IBIS and then Sony bought them.). Don't hear much about Pro-Capture among the majors either, but I'd bet we will in their next models of the Canon R and Nikon Z.

I'm still very impressed with the recent PRO 45m f/1.2 lens as it has to be the sharpest lens I've ever used. Beats my 75mm f/1.8 too, but the PRO is a newer design. They somehow managed to beat the "Can't be done" (i.e. Sharpness range.) 24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens combos of the majors and won an industry award for doing it.

If Olympus throws in some 8K 33+MP m43 next year for maybe $2,700, I'll wager the CaNikon folk will take notice. All they have to do is lead the way for the others to follow. Keep up the resolution of the lenses, maybe add some short 500mm Fresnel lens along the lines of the new Nikon PF for wildlife and sports shooters where the majors super-telephotos are beyond $10K (Exception being the new Nikon 500mm PF coming in at $3,500 now with better sharpness numbers than their older $10K+ 500mm lens.). And make the body features at a better level: i.e. Weather sealing, image quality, and toss in "Service after the sale" too where Sony lags.

Last edited:

Telonson

Mu-43 Top Veteran
By his logic, Canon and Nikon should be ditching all of their APS-C gear as well
Fully expect that they will ditch APS-C. (Which, BTW is my largest criticism of Northrup's analysis, as his logic applies equally to APS-C)

When sensor costs make up an extremely large portion of the bill of materials, APS-C makes sense. But as sensor prices drop, APS-C makes increasingly less sense.

By many reports, full frame sensor prices are dropping rapidly. Currently, Canon, Nikon, and Sony differentiate their entry level products with smaller sensors. Going forward, even their entry level products may be full frame, but differentiated in other ways. Among them, artificially restricted feature sets and lower quality construction.

Last edited:

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Fully expect that they will ditch APS-C. (Which, BTW is my largest criticism of Northrup's analysis, as his logic applies equally to APS-C)

When sensor costs make up an extremely large portion of the bill of materials, APS-C makes sense. But as sensor prices drop, APS-C makes increasingly less sense.

By many reports, full frame sensor prices are dropping rapidly. Currently, Canon, Nikon, and Sony differentiate their entry level products with smaller sensors. Going forward, even their entry level products may be full frame, but differentiated in other ways. Among them, artificially restricted feature sets and lower quality construction.
Biggest cost of most kits is lenses, and those are only getting more expensive with FF.

Telonson

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Biggest cost of most kits is lenses, and those are only getting more expensive with FF.
So kits will ship with 1 or 2 lenses instead of 3, or they'll continue to include crop lenses. FF cameras can already detect APS-C lenses and auto crop. Many customers won't realize, others will know that they can upgrade to better lenses and use the full sensor.

An aside, odd that Panasonic or Olympus don't have a body + 3 lens kit to fight against Canon and Nikon at the big box stores.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
An aside, odd that Panasonic or Olympus don't have a body + 3 lens kit to fight against Canon and Nikon at the big box stores.
Can you even buy Panasonic or Olympus mirrorless bodies at big box stores? I've never actually seen a Panasonic or Olympus body at a brick and mortar store before.

Telonson

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Can you even buy Panasonic or Olympus mirrorless bodies at big box stores? I've never actually seen a Panasonic or Olympus body at a brick and mortar store before.
Have seen the GH5 and G85 at certain Best Buys. Probably at one of their select stores that specializes in cameras.

aKilter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
David
The Best Buy near me has a nice selection of, both Olympus and Panasonic, cameras and lenses.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Have seen the GH5 and G85 at certain Best Buys. Probably at one of their select stores that specializes in cameras.
Ah, didn't realize they did that. I guess I should have added that I have actually seen them at B&H, Adorama, and the Midtown Manhattan Best Buy but I consider all of those stores special cases.

Telonson

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Midtown Manhattan Best Buy but I consider all of those stores special cases.
Yes, it's one of their "Camera Experience Shop" stores. Appears to be only 1 or 2 per city.

Pretty sure those are the only ones at which M43 cameras are stocked.

Last edited:

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
Best Buy sells Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 cameras at its larger, more premium stores. We have two Best Buy stores here in Albuquerque. The east side store sells both M4/3 brands plus Fujifilm. The west side store sells only lower end models from Nikon, Canon, and Sony.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Personally, I only buy camera gear at brick & mortar stores ....

And that includes all of my MFT gear.

Kind regards, Wim

Real Name
Mel
What about us old farts who have tired of the heavy cameras and want lighter weight? I have a stable of Nikon (D800, D750, D2x) and even more heavy lenses that are so-called pro level which causes arthritis exacerbated by a broken wrist to be painful at best and unmanageable at worst. Not all of us are going back to heavier cameras. Everyone speaks as Oracles of the future but I fear they are as unsure of any future as I have become.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom