Tony Northrup's new bogus video "Micro Four-Thirds is DEAD"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am watching this right now but from what I see, he believes m43 is going to die, specifically Panasonic will be ditching M43 and focus solely on the new L-mount ff mount. His words not mine. He also thinks that because 4/3 died after m43 was released, this will be the case with m43 after panasonic will now be making FF mirrorless.

What a bunch of baloney!

Lets turn the idea around and ask- now that Canikon released mirrorless FF, will they abandon DSLR full frame? Will they abandon aps-c? Because Fujifilm released medium format cameras, will they abandon their aps-c cameras?

Last edited:

InlawBiker

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Greg
I kinda who who this guy is, I've seen a few of his videos. But did it occur to anyone he might purposely be saying things to rile up viewers who then re-post the content, thereby increasing his visibility? This is not a new trick.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I kinda who who this guy is, I've seen a few of his videos. But did it occur to anyone he might purposely be saying things to rile up viewers who then re-post the content, thereby increasing his visibility? This is not a new trick.
One could save their time filling their brains with his bias & just click on the thumbs down instead. :rolleyes:

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In the next few years, the quality of m4/3 is only going to improve like everything else, but most importantly, the lenses will be the same size.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
he said later in the video he will be moving away from m43 over the next few years
I couldn't care less what he moves away from or to in the next few years. I don't need his advice or approval to make sound decisions regarding the photographic equipment I purchase or how best to use it. I was processing and printing pictures before he learned to read.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
He says the same crap every time someone releases a new ff camera body. He's just looking for people to share the video so he gets more views.

what's funny, is that he uses the gh5 for almost all of his video work.

Curious, but was he wrong about what he said regarding camera companies shifting and hiding when they stop supporting a lens mount?

I've only shot with m43 as my first interchangeable lens systems so I don't know much about the history of camera companies.

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I used to enjoy his videos, but lately they have become much more click-baity and part of the ongoing camera market echo chamber that most photography channels have become.

My main issue with this premise (which has been floated for at least 5 years) is that the FF cameras and lenses to which he and others profess to be the future are simply more expensive than most people are willing to pay for a camera system. They might have advantages, but unless I'm wrong, majority of camera sales are still in the lower price points. What I see as a more likely scenario is that Canon and Nikon stretch themselves too thin over 3-4 mounts that some of their own lines die off. I don't think this onslaught of new gear will make new buyers appear from nowhere. The majority of people who buy into them will be former Canikon FF and APS-C users looking to upgrade, and therefore likely just stealing customers from themselves. Meanwhile, M43 has carved a nice little niche they can continue to serve- to which I'm happy to support.

/step off soapbox

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree with Tony that MFT is a declining system. Olympus in particular doesn’t seem to care about releasing a midrange, smaller camera with competent tracking AF to compete with the likes of Fuji and Sony.

That being said, I personally like buying mature/declining systems because the bang for the buck is much better. I just bought a D750 to complement my MFT gear. I can see both MFT and FF DSLR being discontinued in 5 years but by then I can hopefully get 5 years of use out of both systems and then maybe pick up a mirrorless FF then.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My main issue with this premise (which has been floated for at least 5 years) is that the FF cameras and lenses to which he and others profess to be the future are simply more expensive than most people are willing to pay for a camera system. They might have advantages, but unless I'm wrong, majority of camera sales are still in the lower price points.
/step off soapbox
Agree.
This is why I went with APS-C/DX rather than FF/FX. The cost of both the FX cameras and lenses are significantly more than the DX cameras and lenses. So doing FX on the cheap, comparable to DX does not work, for the average person. So both Nikon and Canon will have to keep the APS-C line, for the majority of their camera sales, which are to non pros, who don't have $6,000+ to drop on a camera system.

But irritatingly, neither Nikon nor Canon have adequate advance amateur lenses for DX/crop cameras. So I end up being forced to get the expensive and heavier FX lenses for my DX camera. And as a result, am being pulled to FX only for the lenses, not the camera itself.

Curious, but was he wrong about what he said regarding camera companies shifting and hiding when they stop supporting a lens mount?
He's just stating facts but the point of his video was that m43 is dead, not even with a question mark as if he's 100% certain it's going to die off.
It's been 10 years that people have been claiming m43 is dead and its still alive after 10 years.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It will be interesting to hear what he and others have to say when they are in their 60s and older, about the weight of the FF gear.
I cannot physically carry the weight of the camera bag that I could when in my 20s, for the time and distance I used to easily carry.
Since I want to keep shooting, the only alternative is a lighter kit, however you want to get to that lower weight.
Personally I like the m4/3 alternative, because even going with the lightest Nikon DX/APS-C kit, I can do lighter with the m4/3 kit.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Sadly but truly, Tony does have a point. It won't disappear overnight, but the camera sales market gets even smaller as we speak. Canon's sales are down again and inventory level is up, mainly for the low to mid-end products. People simply aren't buying more of those Canon 1", Canon EOS M and the T6i or T7is and the inventory is getting up there. What does this say then? It's that, people are kind of fed up looking at the same old cameras that were introduced years ago being sold, resold, resold resold again and again as though some of us are dumb and can't tell the difference it's old stuff being rehashed?

The ship for these low to mid-end products had long since sailed because current camera phones like the Google Pixel 3 and iPhone Xs or Xr can do many amazing things with their computational photography algorithms. So now, camera makers are stuck making the high end stuff. Olympus is the weakest of all the rest of the makers, BUT I think Olympus will stay on. The sad part is, Olympus will be a Japanese Leica equivalent. You will get to own an E-M1X at a much higher premium price, but for most of us it will be a used model once the E-M1II trade-in season begins. As long as Olympus can maintain the 500,000 user base that it needs to break even and maintain good revenue, m43 will probably move on. Nevertheless, Olympus will be the lone duck. It's a niche product, because truly 70% of current m43 users don't really need the full frame look. Most of us would settle having the E-M1II capabilities. Probably used prices would hover around $900-1000 when the E-M1X comes out and I think Olympus would probably stick with releasing high end m43 bodies. Eventually if the organic sensor becomes a reality, maybe in the E-M1X or maybe in the next version of the E-M1X, then it would boost m43 into a better niche.

I think Tony's worry is that, those $2000 FF bodies will only get better and most people who are investing in that kind of money want the very best. They don't see the value of smaller, lighter argument that championed m43 in the past. Rather, they just want to have the best; which is bigger sensor is better syndrome. I go to a camera meet up group and most of the time, the insecure photographers with big wallets gets led by the more mature landscape photographers who shoot A7RII, D850, A99, D750 and Canon 6D to upgrade their APS-Cs to full frame. These amateurs simply want to have the best, though their photographs aren't the best. Nevertheless, these are the driving forces for people to buy a full frame rather than sane and logical choices that m43 offers. Although I was able to lead only a few former full frame shooters into m43 by buying the E-M1 II and while they are very happy with the camera, the rest however went the other way. Full frame and Fuji APS and that's what the market wants.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
As I found stated by someone more familiar with the Japanese (business) culture & the nature of the business of Olympus is that they are far more than just producing consumer camera gear. They have their medical & scientific equipment etc., but they have long been identified as being manufacturers of quality cameras & lenses, with that being their familiar face of their business. So as this person had stated, they need that part of the business to remain visible in the market & will likely keep manufacturing cameras & lenses in some form or another as they also continue with their other profitable branches of business they have. If they end up going FF I think they will aim for it to be as compact as practical, however, FF is not compact when it comes to (quality) lenses though & why they are stating their aim right now is to offer products that are ideal for "mobility" & right now there are a number of "me too" 35mm format mirrorless cameras coming to the market & we need an alternative & thankfully Olympus are doing that along with Panasonic continuing to do that too. I don't give a "rat's a**e" what Tony has to say about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom