Tony Northrup again claims MFT is "likely phased-out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Honestly, this industry deserves to be destroyed. There are a bunch of smallish brands competing with no open standards. Every brand has its own raw image file format, lens mount, battery size, software stack, and even sensor sizes vary significantly. Warranties and customer service vary significantly.

We would all be MUCH better off with open source camera specifications, sensors we could purchase, install, and upgrade at our own convenience; universal lens mounts, linux based open software stacks, and open raw image file format.... maybe after a brutal industry consolidation, the camera industry will evolve into that and we will all just print our cameras on 3D printers...

:)

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is a series question.
One or more people said about half an year ago that MFT would die within the next 8 months.
Who was that?
Northrop?
About time to check in on that statement?
MFT should be dead about now...

I’m so sad I never read / heard the original statement, only people re-talking about it.

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is a series question.
One or more people said about half an year ago that MFT would die within the next 8 months.
Who was that?
Northrop?
About time to check in on that statement?
MFT should be dead about now...

I’m so sad I never read / heard the original statement, only people re-talking about it.
My reply here:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/article-on-camera-company-survival.108381/#post-1383219

covers this subject, I reckon.

And, yes, I read Northrup's original (latest?) rant against mFTs. BS then, proven to be BS now ...

Christo2977

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christopher
Northrup is a typical east coast snob (I know - I'm from CT. too) with a cute young wife. From the looks of their home, they are typ. trust fund babies (you can't make the kind of $$ as a photographer and have a 3,000 sf home in coastal CT...can you?). He's making boo-koo on us lookie-loos. I lost faith and creds when he came to visit the CA. Desert (my home now) and flew a drone in 2 places that are pristine/ semi-wilderness. He trashed my comment, with his usual nose in the air. He does seem to know the cameras and a bit about the industry in general - but he's like all other You Tubers; mostly just opinion, and no content. Check out @Mattias Burling (a real photographer and viedographer-Amsterdam). Nice to the point info. on "lesser appreciated cameras," and unusual gear. He doesn't show his face!). Curious voice. Worthwhile time ...
I agree with S.Alder....we are in for one hell of a roller coaster ride. My (now only existing B&M local camera shop - Samy's Camera) is likely to go down sinking. Which is very sad if this happens.!

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
The only one I truly love and appreciate as informative is David Thorpe. Most of the rest are either good for entertainment only or are actively obnoxious. That’s most of why I’m so glad this place exists
Robin Wong, Red35 and Rob Trek also very informative

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Northrup is a typical east coast snob (I know - I'm from CT. too) with a cute young wife. From the looks of their home, they are typ. trust fund babies (you can't make the kind of $$ as a photographer and have a 3,000 sf home in coastal CT...can you?). He's making boo-koo on us lookie-loos. I lost faith and creds when he came to visit the CA. Desert (my home now) and flew a drone in 2 places that are pristine/ semi-wilderness. He trashed my comment, with his usual nose in the air. He does seem to know the cameras and a bit about the industry in general - but he's like all other You Tubers; mostly just opinion, and no content. Check out @Mattias Burling (a real photographer and viedographer-Amsterdam). Nice to the point info. on "lesser appreciated cameras," and unusual gear. He doesn't show his face!). Curious voice. Worthwhile time ...
I agree with S.Alder....we are in for one hell of a roller coaster ride. My (now only existing B&M local camera shop - Samy's Camera) is likely to go down sinking. Which is very sad if this happens.!
I am also from the East Coast and last lived just across the Long Island Sound from Tony. He lives in New London, which is a town that last saw good days 65 years go. It's now mostly full of decaying homes that never sell, and has the highest crime rate in the area.

Speaking as another East Coast Snob, I'm certainly happy to read that people who make snap judgements often live in the desert.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Those guys are on my list. There are many good Olympus-oriented Youtube authors out there. I'd also recommend Tim Boyer, Peter Forsgard, Joseph Ellis, Derek Forss, Mathieu Gasquet, and Chris Eyre-Walker. You're bound to find them more informative and satisfying than Northrup. :)

Last edited:

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
To me it's starting to feel like he's going to keep saying this for the next 10+ years until it finally happens. Unlike last time, he also called out multiple other camera mounts. Not that anyone around here agrees with his take on MFT, just expect to see more chatter about "MFT is dead" again.

I make a point of going to his cr*p videos like this to comment and give it the thumbs down ... he's turning into another Rockwell

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Those guys are on my list. There are many good Olympus-oriented Youtube authors out there. I'd also recommend Tim Boyer, Peter Forsgard, Joseph Ellis, Derek Forss, and Chris Eyre-Walker. You're bound to find them more informative and satisfying than Northrup. :)
Yes, we only need find writers who share our beliefs to feel safe in our cozy den of like minded cabalists.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Wow mo
he is not wrong........................i just listed all my olympus gear on ebay and ordered a D5, D500, 600/4, 300/2.8, and 200/2. hope to order my 400/2.8 next month.
Money is no obstacle for you - and Nikon is probably one of the most at risk brands ...

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
From the looks of their home, they are typ. trust fund babies (you can't make the kind of $$ as a photographer and have a 3,000 sf home in coastal CT...can you?).
He's not a photographer by trade. He used to work in IT - I assume that's where he earned most of his money.

Things are going to get really tough. He may be wrong about specific predictions, but it won't be pretty. Even smartphone makers are feeling it: Gartner Says Global Smartphone Sales Declined 20% in First Quarter of 2020 Due to COVID-19 Impact

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
There's been a lot of blather about whether Northrup is right or not. It doesn't matter. I didn't watch the video and don't plan to. I have better things to do. I watch other guys who have useful information to share. I don't care if Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Pentax, Panasonic, etc. fold 5 - 10 years from now. Things happen, situations change, businesses come and go. I enjoy using my stuff now and for the foreseeable future. I'm not going to panic if Northrup thinks Olympus is going to close up. I wouldn't be surprised if they survive in spite of him. When the time comes that I have to replace my camera, I'll get whatever's current at the time. By that time maybe something even better than smartphones will be available. If I wait long enough, my camera will probably become fashionable again, like vintage film cameras are now. Enough already. :026:

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My sister in law bought a new top of the line iPhone recently. That was too much gold for my liking! Three times what I paid for my then new E-M1 MkI + 12-50! I know which takes better photos ...

So expensive that I will stick to my E-M1 MkI + 12-50 and E-M1 MkII + 12-100.

My (free) $500 smartphone takes decent snaps, if I learn how to use it properly.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Let's have a bit of counterpoint to the doomsayers. This is a bit old, but maybe worth bringing up again. I personally wish that Olympus would partner with Apple or another cell phone company to incorporate more computational photography into their cameras. Not to make cameras that take control away from us, but to enhance their capabilities and make it easier for us to get fantastic images. And, if they can make entry-level cameras with computational photography that can blow away smartphones, they'll get even more customers. :)
https://www.thephoblographer.com/20...n-set-the-tone-for-the-future-of-photography/

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
Don’t get me wrong, I like RW and R35, but I don’t honestly consider them useful, just watching someone shoot a model in R35’s case while they talk generally about a lens doesn’t really help me make a buying decision, and anyone who is sponsored by a brand is immediately worth unable to accurately review the full spectrum in my mind, which is part of why I’ve never gotten into Robin Wong either. Both are entertaining and good listens/watches, but not who I go to to actually make a buying decision.

Rob Trek Is more helpful in that regard, but so far all the videos I’ve watched of his are basically why you don’t actually need anything other than the kit lens. Which isn’t wrong, but isn’t helpful if I’m looking for anything other than a perspective aimed at helping the people just getting started.

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
What I don't understand is why so many of you attack him personally instead of discussing the quality of his arguments.

The camera business has been in decline for years. Smartphones will continue to provide improving IQ and many of us already enjoy using them instead of lugging even our relatively small cameras and lenses in a big backpack. The C-19 Pandemic has killed global tourism, and without tourism, high-end cameras have far less appeal. Some brands, like Pentax, will disappear. Many of the innovations that made Olympus special have been copied by Fuji, Sony, Cannon, and Nikon. Their new mirrorless cameras are smaller, have IBIS, electronic shutters, and some of them have far better AF, and they don't need special modes to shoot high resolution images.

We are all at the start of a global recession that will be worse than the one we just escaped from in 2008-13. Mass unemployment and income inequality are already sending people to the streets amidst a pandemic. Retail stores are filing for bankruptcy. Many consumers are defaulting on auto loans and mortgages. Those losses will ripple through the economy, and businesses will report weak earnings. The global economy will contract this year by 5-9% according to the IMF.

When you can't find work, feed your family, or get healthcare to fight a deadly pandemic you don't give a hoot about travel, tourism, or luxury goods like cameras.

I think he's right that many brands will disappear or be acquired as the industry consolidates to cut costs.
Thank you for this, Steve. I agree 100% with you. It’s a juvenile response to just attack a person because they hold an opinion that contradicts your own. I kind of appreciate what Mr. and Mrs. Northrop have done over the years; I have to respect them for their commitment to their business.
Re the future of MFT, I’m a long-time fan; I migrated to the format in 2009 and still really appreciate what it offers. I have no plans to abandon it (until I have no choice if that day ever comes). But in the meantime I don’t feel any need to defend my choice or get up in arms when someone says something negative about it.
Let’s all grow up a bit, how ‘bout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom