1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tomales Point (Tule Elk Reserve,) Point Reyes National Seashore, California

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by popiT, May 19, 2015.

1. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Tomales Point is the North-Western tip of Point Reyes Peninsula. Bodega Bay is to the North, Tomales Bay is to the East, and the Pacific Ocean is to the West. The point is accessible only via a 9.5 mile hike (out and back) along Tomales Point Trail. The region is home to a tule elk population.

*Tule elk history: The tule elk (Cervus canadensis nannodes) is one of two subspecies of elk native to California. The tule elk herds had virtually disappeared by 1860, 13 years before the state awarded them complete protection. By the summer of 1988, the population was at 93 animals. The population census taken in 2000 counted over 400 elk. In 2009, over 440 were counted at Tomales Point, making the the Point Reyes herds one of the largest populations in California.*

Tomales Point was on my hiking list for the past two years. Finally I had a chance for a visit on last weekend, with a couple of friends. I brought along my EPM2+O12 and EM5+P100-300. I used 2 Peak Design Camera Clips, each clips on each side of my backpack shoulder straps for easy & quick access. They work well & barely feel the weight.

Here is the first batch of photos

Coastal views

California Poppy

Only a small herd of elks that we first saw

Hope to see more at the upcoming pond.

[​IMG]

Soft Focus Art Filter

Fields of wildflowers along both sides of the trail

Arrived at the Pond, but no elk :(

... to be continued...

• Like Like x 11
  2. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    ... continued on the trail ...

Flights of Cormorants on the Bird Rock

More wildflowers

Tomales Bluff

[​IMG]

Bodega Bay

On the edge, almost to the end

End of Tomales Point, where the man's standing

Cormorants, Gull, Pelicans and a Seal

Grey Seal resting

Hiking back...

Lawson's Landing Marina on Tomales Bay

More coastal view

All the way back to parking lot... didn't see anymore elk...

... to be continued ... to Point Reyes Light House.

• Like Like x 8
  3. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    ... After the hike and a break, drove 45min to the Southern tip to Point Reyes Lighthouse.

[​IMG]

but we were a little too late

At the Visitor Center...

California Gray Whale Skull : Female, 41 feet, 30-40 tons, found on Feb 11, 1985

That is

Walking back to the parking lot...

It was a long day... call it the end? Wait! The sun has yet to set...

... a sneak peek ...

• Like Like x 6
  4. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    ... On the way out from the lighthouse ... tired, and couldn't wait to get to the nearest town for a refreshment & foods. I was driving and my eyes were on the road. My backseat friend spotted something was moving in the grassland. I took a quick look, made a U-turn, stopped, parked & got out of the car & jumped for joy :yahoo:

Now I could call it a day, a great day!

:)

• Like Like x 8
  5. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    Wonderful series! Thanks for sharing a very special place. I can't say enough about the quality of your images. Well done. I've hiked that area several times and have never seen an elk. For that matter, I don't recall ever seeing the sun!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Thank you so much James. It was a very special place & a special day. There was a couple watching the elks along side, told me they've been there a couple times and didn't see any elk. And you're right about the weather in that area. I hiked in Mt Tam just 2 weeks ago. The fog was so thick at one point, the visibility was no more than 100', but last Saturday was a nice day.

7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    well done, I like all the photos of the wild flowers with the coastal back drop. Must have been very satisfying seeing the elk, in the end :dance4:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Thank you very much hazwing. Yes, my blood gets pumped more when I saw them, especially the ones with big antlers :thumbup: It's a beautiful place and I would go again, and will bring my P35-100/2.8 too, then swap out the long zoom for the elks.