1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tom Ugly's Bridge with the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Nov 13, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Tom Ugly's bridge is a site I quite like to test out new gear, particularly at night as it can be quite challenging on lenses and cameras.

Taken with an Olympus E-P1 with Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lens.

5171749956_557f18f4a8_b.

Tom Ugly's Bridge 05 by peterb666, on Flickr

Exposure details: 10 sec @ f/5.6 and ISO200

Cheers

PeterB666

• Like Like x 9
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Plenty of detail there Peter. At first I read the post as Tom's Ugly Bride - not what I expected.

3. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks guys. One thing you have to say about the Voigtlander lens is that it renders stunning levels of detail.

4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Those starbursts make it clear that you used a lens with a ten bladed diaphragm. (-:

5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    holy crap, that lens is awesome. now if I only had a extra $900. :frown:

6. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    Very nice!

That's a very nice shot. I've got similar with my Canon G9 and G10. However, there was a little noise in those. This looks noise free. I've not been able to match the Canons with this kind of shot with my E-P2, but I'm getting there.

I finally located a dealer in Hong Kong who has the Voigtlander in stock. In a weeks time I hope to get my grubby hands on the Nokton to see what it can do in China. This looks very promising, in fact, it is the best night shot I've seen so far with the Voigtlander.

Dave T.

7. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Excellent image Peter.

8. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

This should be called 'Tom's Ugly Bridge' :biggrin:. Nice shot though.

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I'm glad I'm not the only one ...

I think your shot captured the "inner beauty" of the bridge quite well!

10. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Well, since nobody else has asked, it's down to me, who was Tom Ugly? I quite like his bridge, in a butch sort of way, and yes the lens does resolve great detail.

Barrie

11. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Tom Ugly's an indie rocker from Australia, according to the mob.

12. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Oh, that's above my head and way outside my experience, but thanks Brian.

Barrie

13. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks for the feedback guys. The Voigtlander is an amazing lens and its performance has exceeded my expectations. It might not be cheap but for what it can do (provided you are patient), it is outstanding value for money.

It is named after a person but not the come-by-lately entertainer who took the name from the bridge. The name comes from the Tom Uglys Point which is on the northern side but there is some dispute how that gets its name. Some say it is from a guy who owned the land called Tom Huxley, others claim a one-legged boat operator known as "Tom Woggleg" or "Wogul Leg Tom" and a mispronunciation of his name by local Aboriginies for the term they used to describe a wooden leg.

As for the image, I also took some at the same time using my Nikon D90 and Nikon 10-24mm lens. Now this lens (and camera) are highly regarded but the Voigtlander 25mm lens creams the Nikon lens which was badly affected by flare. At lest the sensor in the D90 is a lot cleaner.

14. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks for this Peter, those are the sort of facts that I can empathise with, not definitive but full of character, they speak to me more so than an indie rocker :smile:

Barrie