Tom Stirr amazes with SIF (Swallows in Flight)

Real Name
Walter
Very cool. I wonder if the bird AI could ever make it to the Em1.3 or if the single processor can’t handle it

I wish it would. Then I would never need to get an EM1X. I prefer the smaller, lighter body of the 1.3. However, the Bird AI is a compelling reason to have the X. My friends who have it say that it has made a big difference in their hit rates.

Real Name
Ovidiu
Very cool. I wonder if the bird AI could ever make it to the Em1.3 or if the single processor can’t handle it
I would agree with you all the way to heaven and back. The reason I’m not hoping that will happen is because if hardware limitations. Even though Olympus marketed the new True Pic IX twice as fast as the True Pic VIII I believe that applies to raw power per task (also called Instructions Per Clock) I don’t believe it can match the multitasking performance of 2 True Pic VIII.
Olympus does not advertise (well no brand does this) how much of the processing goes between two CPUs in their high performance cameras so we don’t know what it would take to make Bird Tracking on a smaller camera beyond pure conjecture (which ironically everything I just said is pure conjecture).

I am in the middle of rediscovering my Oly E-M1 Mark III because I am using la native Olympus lens past 40mm (I had only the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 as telephoto option with this camera) and I am noticing how much better, as in more consistent in AF stability, more responsive to change and better reactions to location of the subject even in flight, with my Olympus 12-100mm f 4 Pro. And as I am using for the first time Pro Capture Low I do notice how the EVF slows down and the AF-C drops a tiny bit it makes me wonder how much RAW power the CPU needs to churn even at 18 FPS. Add a system like Bird Detection and I don’t see how the E-M1 Mark III can maintain its performance and quality promised.

Olympus has promised recently to reveal a “mind-blowing” product this year. How much would you bet it’s going to be something similar in the vain of Sony A1? A dual True Pic IX with 47ish MP sensor and RAW recording of 30 to 60 FPS with AF-C and AI based detection and tracking? But hold on to your BUTTS, it’s going to be expensive as hell. If you really want Bird detection it’s going to be E-M1X until the E-M1 Mark IV comes out to get it under 2.000 $\€\£

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom