Tokyo Subway in HDR

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TimA, Apr 2, 2010.

1. This is the platform at the Kokkai Gijido Mae station on the Chiyoda Line. Hand held with my GF1 over 5 exposures, processed with Photomatix and then did some clean up work in Photoshop and some ever so slight tweaking in Lightroom 2.

I like how gritty it came out. I knew as soon as I got down to the platform that it would make a good shot but was afraid it'll be too dark and I was afraid to do high ISO because of the noise. But the good old GF1 with the 20mm came through for me again!

<a href="" target="_blank">"></a>

(if you click on the image it'll open up a bigger version)

• Like Like x 3
  2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Interesting, I'd like to try some HDR with M 4/3 too. Was it hard to do handheld? Have you tried 3 shots as well as 5? Is it cherry blossom time in Japan or too late now?

Enjoyed your website. Looking forward to seeing more HDR.
  3. Hand holding is a bit difficult, especially over 5 exposures. But thankfully Photomatix has a really good alignment algorithm. I found that the option to align with features as opposed to align with position shifting works better. 3 shots work fine too and sometimes depending on the situation I'll do 3. But with the GF1 at least, they have auto bracketing already preset and I can't just set it to do 3 shots at -2, 0, +2 for some I'm forced to take 5 to get a wider range of exposures.

I like the GF1 only because I can whip it out and take these shots before the train or more people show up on the platform. The 2 people in the background did move so I had to clean them up in Photoshop but otherwise it worked out great so far. Seems like I can handhold the GF1 pretty nicely due it having some weight.

It is smack in the middle of cherry blossom season at least in Tokyo now...but it'll be gone soon. By the time I'm there late next week I have a feeling most will be gone :( That's too bad. Though cherry blossom HDR would be haaaaard... Too many small details and even the slightest wind will throw it off. That would be one of those times when you'll have to try to make one with a single RAW file as opposed to multiple exposures I think.

Glad you liked the site! I need to update my home page with newer shots... All my new stuff goes on my blog :)
  4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Great shot! Brings backs memories of my trip to Tokyo in 91.

Lovely shots on your website to!
  5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    nice shot , i shoot the nyc subway frequently , your hdr shot is natural looking and serves to help show how indoor scenes like this look to our eyes and brain , that is the loftiest use of the technique imho, not over done at all .... nice stuff
  6. Thanks! I've done my fair share over super saturated hyper reality HDR shots too. I like to call it my "clown vomit" phase :) I've now realized that this is much better. But I also realized (especially after looking at Trey Ratcliff's work in that it also takes much more I'm working on it!

Did you ever have any problems shooing the NYC subway? I heard the horror stories of photogs in NYC and especially in the subways being given a hard time by the NYPD! So I was a bit hesitant to take photos when I was there last Memorial Day weekend. Though now that I have the GF1, it may be easier to do than pulling out the 50D with the battery grip and a 24-70 L lens...
  7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Nice shot Tim! :thumbup:

thanks for sharing.