Tokyo-Narita Duty Free. Lenses and cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jair, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Hi, there is pretty amazing flight deal going on only for crazy european people - Milan-Tokyo-Bari for 65-80 euro or so. Problem is, you need to turn back again in Tokyo almost immediately :)

I am an aviation buff, but this is still too crazy for me. I want to justify the trip by making savings somewhere else.

So, are the prices of photo equipment in Japan cheaper or more expensive in general? Also, does anyone has an expirience with Tokyo-Narita airport, is there a large reasonably priced duty free camera/tech shop over there, etc?
  2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I believe there is a duty free camera store in the Narita airport that had some pany/oly stuff. Not a large selection, just a counter or two. Some things are cheer here in japan, and some stuff is cheeper ordered from the US and shipped here. It really just depends on what you're looking for. I think the new Pany 12-35/2.8 is 88897yen, which is roughly $1115usd. Just be careful buying some Pany bodies, as they might be japanese language only =[

If you can make it into tokyo, there are two of the largest camera stores I've ever seen. And I believe that they will sell at duty free prices if you show your passport.
  3. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Thank you. From what I read it is not really worth it. I'll skip Japan this time :)
  4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Go anyway, Japan is amazing! I felt like a kid again - everything was different and bewildering and interesting. I can't wait to go back.
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Where are you finding that flight?

In Japan, new is not a good deal. Used on the otherhand, is a great deal. Japanese used is like new with very little use.