1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tokyo & Kyoto with an EM5

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robdog, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Robdog

Robdog Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Robbo
    • Like Like x 15
  2. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Unhappy.

Been back a fortnight now from a three-week trip of the same, and I don't have a single photo that compares.

*sheds tear*

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Yeah, I can browse through your Flickr account and likely get more depressed.

Otherwise, wanna divulge what glass you took?

(I went an E-P5, O12, O17 and O75)

• Like Like x 1
  4. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Beautiful photographs! I really like your framing, and the colors... The post-processing you applied makes them look slightly washed-out for my taste, but that looks like a conscious choice on your part. I'd also be curious to know more about your equipment and processing strategy... And I too am jealous of your trip! :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    1970's-style colour processing?, apart from the gnarly temple one.
    Good selection of subjects.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Robdog

Robdog Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Robbo
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Do you think these shots are underexposed? Kadamnation - I might agree with you there, after viewing them on my work computer today they definitely look more washed out than on my laptop which I use to process them. Might have to get the display calibrated.

These were all shot with 12mm, 20mm, 45mm primes with EM5:

Shinjuku Station #1 and Japanese Seafood Vendor #9 - Oly 45mm prime.
    Geisha, Red Corridor and Mt. Fuji - Pana 20mm 1.7
    All the rest on the Oly 12mm 2.0

I processed them using Lightrrom.
    1/ I adjusted the exposure, then used VSCO presets.
    2/ Tweaked highlights/shadows, saturation, black point, tone curve if req etc.
    3/ Local adjustments: Brushed in some sharpness/clarity/contrast depending on the shot. For example, brushed in clarity (+10) and sharpness (+10) on the Geisha.
    Used a grad filter in lightroom to apply more contrast and clarity on the Mt Fuji shot as the mountain was washed out quite a bit more due to haze.
    4/ Applied noise reduction with masking (about 25) on all shots, Applied sharpness ~25.

Done!

7. Robdog

Robdog Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Robbo
    Also, I think I might add that I now have the 12-40mm Pro lens. I think it would have provided the same quality on all the shots except the "portraits".

I shot the Geisha with the 20mm 1.7 wide open from the hip while she was waiting to cross the road. The Geishas are like celebrities over there and they move fast to avoid the tourists/papparazi. I also did not want to be invasive as I feel pretty bad for them getting cameras jammed in their faces.

All shots were handheld except for Mt Fuji. The temple at night was leant on a railing. IBIS works a treat.

Unfortunately, I left my tripod in a taxi and did not get it back. Travel insurance made it to difficult for me to claim it.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You could also try your home insurance or, if purchased recently, your credit card buyer protection.

Barry

9. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Happy accident or not I personally dig the way the shots have developed. Strokes for folks.

That said, would certainly be interesting to see how much your vision would change if you did calibrate your screen and gave it another crack.