1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tokina & Tamron joins Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Jan 27, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
  2. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    thats good news. TO further strengthen the micro four third system.

3. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Sharpest lens I've ever used was my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on Canon. Amazing bit of glass and not expensive either.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is great news. I've had some great experiences with Tamrons; 90mm macro and an old 35-105 f/2.8 aspherical in particular. It'll be interesting to see how much either invest into R&D; micro 43 is a lot more involved than simply taking an current lens and fitting a different mount.

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My only concern is the vendors will do just that, take larger format lenses and just put a m43 mount on them. Hopefully the will make native m43 lenses. it will cost more but we would be able to get smaller lenses that way.

6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
  7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Sigma is designing short flange distance mirrorless camera lenses based on APS coverage and putting m4/3 mounts on them. I'd expect the others to do the same. Part of their business model is selling the same lens across different camera lines.

Fred

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I doubt M43 is a big enough market yet for them to create M43-specific lens formulas. Still, if they come out with constant F2.8 zooms in M43 mount I'm be taking a long, slow look at them.

9. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Which means that we may see some nice lenses, but only at focal lengths that make sense for APS-C. Likely nothing at the UWA end, which is unfortunate. I'd love to have a 9mm F4 prime.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Like everyone else, I am hoping these third party lens manufacturers can fill in the focal length spots (e.g., ultra wide primes, telephoto primes and zooms with wide constant aperture, macro primes). Competition among businesses will only benefit the consumer.

I have my fingers crossed for a built-in stabilization macro prime in the 35mm film range of the 90-120 focal length. This lens would have a chance at driving down the cost of the Panasonic 45mm f/2.8 Aspherical MEGA OIS lens.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I thought UWA is covered pretty well by Olympus and Panasonic. Not cheap, but high quality.

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Well, kudos to Samyang for their 7.5mm fish-eye - it is clearly made for m43.

Hopefully they will show it can be a good business model to cater to us!

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would say both affordable and high quality is pretty well covered... The 7-14mm (Four-Thirds or Micro Four-Thirds!) are very high quality, while the 9-18mm (again, both 4/3 and m4/3) are quite affordable for such an ultra-wide. The quality is still up to a high standard in both, too.

14. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Tamron already has line exclusively for mirror-less single-lens cameras, Di III. So far the only lens is an 18-200mm super zoom for Sony's E-mount. $739 at B+H. It wouldn't surprise me to see it in m4/3 sooner than anything else.

Fred

15. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Not in a prime. :frown: I really don't need the zoom in that range, so I'd much rather have a lighter, smaller, cheaper lens. Especially the lighter/smaller part.

16. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    a native tokina 11 -16 2.8 would make my day

17. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    now all my plans to purchase are disrupted (in a good way).

18. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Good news!

19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great news! I love Tamron lenses and Tokina has made some great ones too{although not all their lenses are great}.

The lens I would most like to see is a 67.5mm! It would have the same angle as a 135mm on a full frame. Realistically anything from a 65mm - 75mm would be close enough. It would need to be fairly fast , nothing less than a 2.8 and better if a 2 or 1.4.
    A true macro in a 50mm-60mm would be nice. A super wide but not a fish eye with as low a distortion as possible is also high on my list. A telephoto longer than 300mm would be on my list too, fixed or a zoom.
    I do hope the design all new lenses and not just adapt current ones , although even that is better than none.

Just found this on Tamron's website:
    I also saw how there is a third company that joined the m43 , that being ASTRODESIGN, Inc.

"A Japanese company established in 1977 that designs and develops professional video equipment and measurement/analysis-related equipment. Well known for developing the world's first programmable signal generator and the Ultra HDTV image processor devices used at Expo 2005 Aichi, Japan."

ASTRODESIGN, Inc. Website
    http://www.astrodesign.co.jp/english/

Not sure what they are going to bring to m43!? For sure it will be on the video production side.

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That would be a decent all-purpose zoom although the price is a bit high. Tamron's new 18-270mm is $600 at B&H with the same f-stop range but 70mm more on the top. Perhaps if they do adapt this lens{the 18-200} they will lower the price?