Tokina Reflex 300mm F6.3 MF Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hkpzee, Jul 17, 2012.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Would anyone be interested in this lens? I think it looks pretty cool. Kind of pricey for a mirror lens (~US$485 in HK), but it's first of its kind for m4/3, so I guess there is a novelty premium to it. Wish it has a longer focal length though...

Here is a link where you can see some pretty good pictures of the lens and when it is coupled with the E-M5 (the link is in Chinese, but the pictures don't need explanation):
    Tokina å–®åã€ç„¡åæ–°é¡é½Šç™¼ï¼šM4/3 專用 300mm åå°„é¡æˆç„¦é»ž - DCFever.com

I would love to see some samples taken with this lens.

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I guess there is gonna be a very limited market for this lens, base on the lack of comments/ feedback...

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I could have been interested but not at this price point.

4. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I am very interested but more reviews / samples would help. And I would definitely pay more for a decent AF as MF a 600mm lens can be tricky without a tripod

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I'm interested in this lens if the street price is $399 or less but I can't find any US retailer that is currently selling it ... at any price.

6. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Cant say Im interested with the Panny 100-300mm being priced similarly.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Seems silly when it's priced like the Panasonic 100-300mm.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Too slow. For handheld use, you're realistically looking a 1/500th at f 6.3, which limits you to very bright light or high ISO. If IQ was a lot better than the 100-300 or 70-300 at their long ends it might be worth considering, but IQ isn't generally the strong suit of cat lenses.

9. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Yes, it's too expensive as currently priced, but don't forget this is MUCH smaller than the massive 100-300mm lens and takes up a fraction of the space in your bag.

I don't know what the optical qualities are ... we'll have to see some high-res samples and a review or two, but I can see the value in a lens like this as long as the street price comes down.

10. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Good luck on focusing that puppy.

11. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Not all mirror reflex lenses are horrible to focus. I had a 500mm f/8 Nikon Reflex Nikkor-C lens that was a joy to focus as long as there was enough light ... but I also owned a cheap ebay 500mm f/8 (purchased for $80) that I couldn't focus in ANY light because it was so horribly soft.

I'm hoping the Tokina is more like the Nikon reflex than the cheap ebay lens. Of course, it won't matter to me at all as long as the lens is that expensive. ;)

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yeah, I'd be surprised too. And of course the aperture is fixed, so there's no 'stopping down' to improve performance.

DH