Showcase Tokina Reflex 300MM F6.3 MF Macro Thread

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by bigboysdad, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Well, someone has to start one. It wouldn't surprise me if I'm the only one posting here, there doesn't seem to be any images posted on this forum of this native m43 lens which means most of you have, maybe understandably, given it a wide berth. It is no Olympus 300mm/ Panasonic 100mm-400mm rival, let me tell you! (and that's about the only time you're going to read about all 3 lenses in the same paragraph) But given it's ridiculously cheap price (I paid $199 AUD brand new) there may be some wondering about this lens, so I'm happy to post here as a reference point if anyone's thinking about it.

24894449321_f795e64a35_b. Cicada in the garden by Otim, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. joma416

joma416 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    Toronto, ON Canada
    John
    Thanks for posting these. I have been wondering about this lens, but have always steered clear thinking that I would be better off saving the money and putting it towards something else. Your pic is quite nice in my opinion. I am guessing you used a tripod and it wasn't hand held? The background looks nicely blurred and I don't see any of the do-nut shapes these lens are noted for.

Is it your plan to mostly use it for macro or do you also see yourself using it as a telephoto?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, does the focus have enough throw to be able to focus easily and accurately?
    I have a different mirror lens and it's very difficult to focus, even on the moon, due to very short throw.

Thanks,
    Barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Well, I was hoping that I might be able to use it for purposes other than macro, as I see with people utilising the Olympus offering. But there's no chance of that. I spotted an eagle on a beach sitting on a rock about 60 metres away which seemed a perfect opportunity to test this lens out and the results were terrible, even focusing to infinity. I don't think it was my inability to operate a manual lens, more so the fact that this is a macro lens. Which is fair enough considering it's marketed as such. So it's macro only, forget subjects far away. And for macro, I reckon you're probably better off with the Olympus 60mm macro.

There's a large focus throw as one would expect given the focal length. I would describe it as a bit unforgiving, but that's ok, it just needs familiarity.

No it was hand held, so I can thank the 5 axis stabilisation, I would hate to think what the hand held results would be like without that.

It's funny, I haven't heard that phrase before, but yet I know exactly what you are referring to and it definitely does have that. I'll post a less than perfect shot I did showing this.

That's the right way to go in all honesty. Having said that I won't sell the lens, I have it now, so may as well see what can be achieved with it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I think the do-nut thing referred to above is shown in the back of this image (just showing this for example purposes rather than the quality of the image). Even more reason to use this lens just for macro.

P2060301 copy copy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, all lenses of this design (Catadioptric) have doughnut-shaped bokeh.

In theory, these lenses should be good for taking pictures of the moon, etc. as there will be no OOF areas, but my 500mm is extremely difficult to focus correctly.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Provided the weather holds up, I'll see I can get a moon shot with the Tokina this coming week (must remember to take off image stabilization).

• Like Like x 1