Showcase Tokina AT-X SD 100-300mm f4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by s0nus, Feb 24, 2013.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Based on the suggestion of some fellow forum members I picked up a Tokina AT-X SD 100-300 f4 in anticipation to a trip to Wyoming and the Yellowstone area, specifically for wildlife shooting. The following are some snaps from that trip taken with the lens.

Here's a prairie dog in Badlands National Park. I tried to creep as close as I could to him without scaring him away. They're wary little creatures:

Came across a small herd of Bighorn Sheep, also in Badlands. Notice the radio collar on the mother:

I wonder if this was daddy:

My wife shot this photo with her Panasonic TZ5, a great little camera. Very meta ....

We missed the buffalo mating season in Yellowstone by a few weeks, but still came across some animals, some of which still seemed a bit sexually frustrated. This one was quite zen, however:

A little one with his mom relaxing by the river:

A coyote scurried quickly across the scene, but I was able to luckily snap this photo:

This young black bear was rambling around in the woods off the side of the road. He wasn't exactly participating in the photo shoot that ensued as he was continuously moving in and out of the trees, rummaging for sustenance:

Here's an obligatory moon shot. This was actually taking during the day and greatly overexposed. I think I was able to save it though:

All in all, I'm very satisfied with this lens. It feels like a real man's lens - it's a solid hunk of metal that looks cool mated to my EPL1. I like to think that I turned at least some heads in a mass of big DSLR cameras with even bigger white lenses with my comparatively small setup. :biggrin:

The lens is quite sharp.The RAW files came out a little flat and lacking contrast, but I'm very satisfied with the final exposures I was able to produce.
    • Like Like x 4