1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tokina 300mm mirror lens for m4/3

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Al., Dec 6, 2012.

1. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Anyone tried or seen a review of the new tokina 300mm mirror lens built for micro 43: sounds interesting...

2. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

it's a quality product, decent appearance, size and price. But unfortunately, it was rather difficult for me to MF a 600mm equiv. lens hand held, even with the OMD IBIS. The other day, I was shooting birds with my 100-300 and the guy I met was using the Tokina, and he also confirmed that it was very difficult for him to shoot birds with it.
    I would say if you cannot tolerate the weight of a 100-300, and you are not shooting birds or dragonflies, as well as willing to accept lower contrast image, it can be a good buy for its portability

3. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't really see the appeal. The Oly and Panasonic 300mm zooms aren't that big, and really aren't that heavy. Plus, autofocus. And non-weird Bokeh.

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It's a weird lens... I can sort of see the appeal to have a small 300mm lens, but between the doughnut bokeh, the so-so IQ with the loss of contrast (common to all mirror lenses), manual focus, and the fact that you pretty much have to keep the lens hood on at all times, I'd just as soon pick up a 100-300mm for another $100-200 or so.

7. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Yes I see what you mean about the sharpness, the do-nut brokeh remind me of when mirrors were popular in the 60's and 70's, but would soon get a bit gimmicky. But is nice to see more independant lens manufacturers getting on board

8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea I think that's one huge Point to getting this lens tho. The fact that it saves you a couple hundred dollars, which is not a small amount. Having a long telephoto that's is light and compact are other Pro's to this lens.
    However if anyone thinks that one or two hundred dollars is a small amount to pay, Please contact me via private message, I could use a small amount of help; at-least until I finish my degree. :wink:

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Fair enough :smile:

If price or size is your ultimate deciding factor then the Tokina has benefits to be sure. On the other hand, a cheaper 300mm lens may not be worth the investment if it doesn't get you the shots you want from a telephoto (for example, no AF means moving subjects like wildlife may be difficult). In that case you're probably still better off waiting a bit longer and seeking a used 100-300, which narrows the price gap between the two lenses even further.