1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tokina 300mm MFT now in stock @ B&H

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by D@ne, Aug 8, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Just an FYI if anyone's been waiting for this.

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882238-REG/Tokina_RX300M43_300mm_f_6_3_Telephoto_Lens.html/BI/1848/KBID/2491/kw/TORX300M43/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xTORX300M43" target="_blank">Tokina 300mm f/6.3 Telephoto Lens for MFT Mount</a>

• Like Like x 3
  2. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Not that interested, given the very slow minimum aperture and mirror design. For a manual 300mm, any number of manual focus lenses, such as the Canon FD 300mm f/4, can be had for much less money and provide much better bokeh. Mirror lenses tend to get donut shaped highlights in out of focus areas. I would be much more interested in an Olympus 300mm f4 or faster though...

3. rkell

rkell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Here's what I'm hoping the next two Olympus m4/3 primes will be: 1) 150mm f/2.8 and 2) 300mm f/4. Anything faster than that at those focal lengths is IMHO unrealistic for m4/3.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    That Canon weighs over 4 times more, has a close focusing distance more than 3x that of the Tokina, and is over 3 times as long.

I know the Canon has excellent image quality...we don't know what the Tokina's image quality is yet. A quick look on ebay tells me that the Canon goes for around $200, so I wouldn't say it's exceptionally cheaper.

Even if you're not interested (and many won't be), both options have their place.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If they could do something about the fixed aperture, I might be interested. Compact, short MFD, etc. is nice. Can't imagine only shooting at f/6.3 though. That's either too little DoF, or too much...

DH

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Since it is a mirror lens IQ will likely be average at best. That coupled with a fixed aperture (as all mirror lenses are) make for a lens not worth the asking price. If this were in the price neighborhood of the sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses, it would be much more interesting an offering.

You can pretty easily find a sigma 600mm F8 (doubled focal length, only 2/3 of a stop slower lens speed) and an accompanying adapter for under $150 - at 26oz sure it is 2.5x heavier, but doubling the focal length in a still relatively light package seems to me to be a much better option.

7. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I need to see more sample images from this lens before I will even consider buying it.

8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Like I said, not for everyone, but the more options, the better.

9. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    +1; though I will stick with my Oly OM 300mm f4.5 adapted lens...

10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Here's a review if anyone's interested:

Review Tokina 300 mm f/6.3 MF @ micro-43

Once again, just providing info...it's been established that many have no interest in this lens, which is fine, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the review link! I was vaguely curious.

I've got to say, yuk. I wasn't expecting much from a mirror lens but still from the review it looks pretty bad. Very low contrast and practically soft everywhere. Mirror lenses can actually be pretty sharp (high resolution) but they always have poor micro-contrast. There is always the risk of user error here, but the samples look rather awful in contrast, micro-contrast and resolution.

One interesting thing is that the direct comparison of the Tokina and the Olympus doesn't look quite as bad as the sample images themselves.

I seriously wonder what a shot at 150 from any of the 4x-1xx lenses cropped would look like compared to the Tokina.

Ken

12. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Another review form MR who sums it up nicely.

Tokina 300mm

13. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I may be the only person excited for this lens. I already have the 75-300, or I'd be pre-ordering it (instead it will go on my Christmas/birthday wish list until a parent or significant other decides to help a brother out). It's certainly not an every day lens (although a 600mm equiv. on a camera without great focus tracking for wildlife never will be), but like the LL review, I'm intrigued by the prospect of creating images that don't look like everyone else's. I'd love to experiment with portrait photography or take a series of photos of doughnuts with doughnut-shaped bokeh. Of course, I love my pinwide and am constantly amazed by the images made by the Samyang 7.5 (the only list currently on my wishlist), so maybe that's just my style...

Does anyone know if it will transmit EXIF info?

14. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    I am interested too. Although I hoped the price would be under $300. The main advantage of such a lens is that it would be light and at its price, it would not have much competition. A 300/4 would cost at least $800 and would be longer, heavier, and harder to use handheld.

And the doughnut bokeh isn't something that cannot be avoided (shots below are taken with Pentax SLRs):

Tokina 500:
    5695493198_398c810e4a.

Rubinar 1000:
    5678271213_d105bf1b36.

And to me, circular bokeh looks interesting even when it happens:

Tokina 500/8 again:
    4825166175_dae6488344.

Vivitar Series 1 800 solid cat:
    5694932645_4daa3deea9.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    And if you look at the P100-300 crop @300, the mirror looks even better. Not bad, given that the Kenko is less than half the price of the Olympus lens.

I also feel ridiculous for estimating earlier the price of a 300/4 as starting from $800. Given the price of the 75-300, a 300/4 would probably start from $1600.

FWIW, some years ago, I also did some tests using a mirror on a tripod - the results were understandably better than when used handheld - see this post. The low contrast makes mirror lenses look bad when showing unprocessed results, but the detail and the colors can be recovered rather easily during post processing - as long as the image is correctly focused and there are no motion blur issues.

16. lovemyoly

lovemyoly Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    OK, who here has bot the 300mm Tokina and is old school and has used mirror lenses from the film days?

I don't mind the donut bokeh and the fixed aperture is just how mirror lenses are. So, no use complaining about them.

My quesion is...

Does the Kenko Tokina Reflex 300mm lens perfrom as well as the legacy Sigma 400mm or 600mm mirror lenses when it comes to sharpness? (No, mirrors are not terribly sharp, but they are doable.)

The high point of a mirror is compact size and low cost...that is it! (Unless you go for freaky bokeh as well!)

Thanks for any feedback.