Tokina 300mm Cadiotropic (Mirror)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by HarryS, Mar 21, 2014.

1. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Native 4/3 mount. Electronics supports EXIF with lens iD, fixed focal length/aperture. Small, light, inexpensive and probably requires an EM5 or similar to hand hold. I like it. Comes with reversible lens hood, front and rear caps. I paid $149 at kenkodepot which is $50-100 less than other places.

Attached Files:

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    No time to go out with the new lens yet, so a couple of shots in the yard. So far, it seems to be comparable to my 4/3 70-300 zoom, but it's a lot lighter.

It's not too hard to focus on my EM5. Since it has the electronics link, it can go to magnify mode via MF-assist on an Olympus camera, but I turned that off. Better to focus with a normal view, and then zoom in with magnify. It also helps that the EM5 can invoke IBIS in magnify mode too.

With the EPL5, the camera needs to be steady to go into magnify mode. I'm hoping that the lens can be used in brighter light hand holding the EPL5.

These two are hand held. with the EM5 and ISO 3200.

image1_s.
    For full size, click here.

image3_s.
    For full size, click here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks for this find! The only reason I own the Samyang fisheye, Sigma 30, 15 BCL, 40-150, etc, is because you guys found good deals for me! (I found a good deal once which lasted a day and no one was able to capitalize. Ah well :frown: )

Anyway, I was thinking, heck, $150? I'll get it! But then I did some reading and decided against it. Not that the lens is a bad choice. It is the smallest way to get a 300mm lens. But this guy's conclusion did it for me: (http://m43photo.blogspot.ca/2013/06/tokina-300mm-f63-mirror-reflex-tele.html)

I have a 200mm f4 lens which produces good images IMO. MF is tough at that distance, but when I saw this Tokina wasn't AF either, I was turned off. I wonder why they bothered to put electrical contacts in it. I know that it will tell the camera the FL and the fixed 6.3 aperture, but I'd like to see them not be in there and have the lens cost even less! If you check my signature you'll see like to buy deals. This would be more tempting if I didn't already have the 200mm; or if it had AF. Either way, interesting find!

PS: I didn't know about the em5 beign able to use IBIS for magnify and my PM2 not being able to. I guss I need an em5!

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've used it with the E-PL5, handheld. The most problematic part is swaying back and forth, IBIS doesn't really help with that and since it has such a narrow focus area you can get out of focus easily. Shooting in bursts with a high shutter speed helps though. On a tripod the problem goes away.

Contrast is surprisingly good for a mirror lens. But you do have to be careful of where the sun is. If it is behind you you'll have great contrast, even when shooting against the sky. If it is somewhere in front or directly above you'll have much worse contrast and detail.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's very good for a mirror lens, as they tend not to perform as well as normal lenses of the same focal length.