Tokina 300/6.3 mirror lens specs

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Apr 25, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Some more info. on the Tokina 300/6.3 mirror lens has appeared on their site:

Weight: 298g
    Diam x Length: 66x66mm
    Filter: 55mm
    MFD: 0.8m
    Magnification: 1:2
    Price: 40000 Yen (~$500)

They claim it to be designed specifically for m4/3.

DH

2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    If it had AF, I might think about it. At that price, I don't really see the point of getting this over something like the 100-300.

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Love this piece of specs... finally a mirror lens taking advantage (I bet) of the smaller sensor.

Would be nice for telephoto for travel. I don't mean safary, I mean static shots like these

p412092109-3.

p397712742-3.

p757667879-3.

I bought 14-150 for it, but, sometimes, wish I had more reach, and Pentax 300/6.3 that I have is not great for long distance travel.

4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    It is less than half the size. I'm also hoping it'll perform better than the panny does at 300mm. I'm hoping it's going to be pretty sharp and that vignetting will be alost nil. I know the bokeh shape isn't something that you can do much about, but it'll be interesting to see the character of it nonetheless.

TBH I don't see it selling for that price in the real world, at least not for long. Third party lenses usually come down dramatically in price, and do fairly badly on the used market.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Can someone make sense of this translation?

"This is a manual focus lens. Why did not adopt the auto-focus, depending on the following two points.

● ∞ angle is greater focus to the minimum shooting distance of 0.8m from.
    ● focusing angle of view is very severe, and request 4 ° 8 '(equivalent 600mm equivalent version 35mm) 300mm.

Because of this I thought, and allows the Focus to ensure that more of the operation manual."

My best bet: long focus throw because lens can focus between 0.8mm and infinity, yet need very precise focus because lens such a narrow FOV. What this has to do with the inability to AF is completely beyond me.

6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    They are saying,it'll wouldn't be worthwhile to have autofocus, it'll be slow and cumbersome.

I don't think any AF mirror lenses exist.

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    This. I bought the 75-300 specifically to have a small 300mm lens. This one looks to be even smaller, and if I hadn't already bought the Olympus I'd be considering it. If this ends up being priced similarly to the Samyang 7.5, it would still be worth considering...

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Sony does.

Sony 500mm f/8 Relex Lens

• Like Like x 1
  9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Personally, I wouldn't be interested at that price. Would love to have something longer than my 40-150mm but if it's manual focus and a mirror it better be cheap.

10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    LOL, you're probably right.

Thing is, as I read it, those some objections would hold for ANY 300mm lens. And obviously those can be made to AF.

(Actually wouldn't the 'slow' part have to at least in part with the mass being moved around? I'd think that would be less with a mirror lens than with a conventional refractor.)

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The size definitely appears to be the main attractive attribute of this lens. It's less than half the length of the Olympus m.ZD 75-300 and the Panasonic 100-300.

One disadvantage beyond the lack of AF is that the aperture is fixed at f/6.3. That's slow enough that you probably wouldn't want to stop down to begin with, but in any case, you can't.

Also, there's the famous 'donut bokeh'. Photozone has a nice summary of mirror lens attributes.

DH

• Like Like x 1