1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tokina 20-35mm f2.8?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by battleaxe, Dec 17, 2012.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Anyone know anything about this lens? It seems to be going for about $190 on the market and it seems like it could be a good MF social lens. Thanks.

2. battleaxe

3. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Pretty sure the 19-35 is a better bet in terms of weight and sharpness. Got one in pretty decent shape I'm not using ATM.

4. battleaxe

The 19-35 or the 20-35?

5. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    well the 19-35 range is very usefull for a full frame sensor. On a m43 sensor this will be equivallent to 38-70 which I find to be very restrictive. On my DSLR days with a Nikon D80 I used to have a Tokina 12-24 which was equivalent to 18-36 and it was my most used lens even as a walk-around solution. I would not consider the 19-35 or the 20-35 for m43 at all. But then again everything depends on your shooting habits and style.

6. battleaxe

I was thinking if not m4/3 then on an APS-C camera.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    For $190, I think you are way, way, way better off getting an Olympus 14-54 F2.8-3.5.

It's an optically high quality, sharp lens designed for the 4/3 digital format rather than film, is weather sealed, weighs 2/3 as much, is smaller, has a much wider range, and even if the autofocus is really slow on M4/3, it's still probably better than nothing.

There's several of them on eBay for around $130. Seems like a much better deal to me.

8. battleaxe

Well I was thinking of using it on my Fuji X-E1 and GF3(more likely on the X-E1 because of EVF). Also with the Olympus I would have to get one of the pricier adapters that allow me to change aperture so price will be much more.

9. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Even on APSC sensors, you only get the equivalent range of 30-52. I still do not think the weight and volume of the lens and the adaptor is worth it. It does not even offer a big zoom range in its favor (understandable as it was an UWA zoom) and so it can be easily replaced with a small fixed lens about 25mm and be done with it. I am convinced (regretfully) that as far as legacy lenses go, only some normal or medium teles seem worth it for adapting to smaller sensor sizes. Now, if there was any 8 9 or 10mm fixed legacy lens around it would be another matter.