1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tokina 20-35mm f2.8?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by battleaxe, Dec 17, 2012.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Anyone know anything about this lens? It seems to be going for about $190 on the market and it seems like it could be a good MF social lens. Thanks.

2. battleaxe

3. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Pretty sure the 19-35 is a better bet in terms of weight and sharpness. Got one in pretty decent shape I'm not using ATM.

4. battleaxe

The 19-35 or the 20-35?

5. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    well the 19-35 range is very usefull for a full frame sensor. On a m43 sensor this will be equivallent to 38-70 which I find to be very restrictive. On my DSLR days with a Nikon D80 I used to have a Tokina 12-24 which was equivalent to 18-36 and it was my most used lens even as a walk-around solution. I would not consider the 19-35 or the 20-35 for m43 at all. But then again everything depends on your shooting habits and style.

6. battleaxe

I was thinking if not m4/3 then on an APS-C camera.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    For $190, I think you are way, way, way better off getting an Olympus 14-54 F2.8-3.5.

It's an optically high quality, sharp lens designed for the 4/3 digital format rather than film, is weather sealed, weighs 2/3 as much, is smaller, has a much wider range, and even if the autofocus is really slow on M4/3, it's still probably better than nothing.

There's several of them on eBay for around $130. Seems like a much better deal to me.

8. battleaxe

Well I was thinking of using it on my Fuji X-E1 and GF3(more likely on the X-E1 because of EVF). Also with the Olympus I would have to get one of the pricier adapters that allow me to change aperture so price will be much more.

9. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Even on APSC sensors, you only get the equivalent range of 30-52. I still do not think the weight and volume of the lens and the adaptor is worth it. It does not even offer a big zoom range in its favor (understandable as it was an UWA zoom) and so it can be easily replaced with a small fixed lens about 25mm and be done with it. I am convinced (regretfully) that as far as legacy lenses go, only some normal or medium teles seem worth it for adapting to smaller sensor sizes. Now, if there was any 8 9 or 10mm fixed legacy lens around it would be another matter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.