1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tokina 11-20 2.8 with an AF speedbooster

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Timur, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Has anyone tried this combination? I'm wondering if this is a good alternative to Oly 7-14, I'm looking to get a good super wide for landscapes in near future. Is it sharp, and is AF accurate?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the Oly (or Panasonic) will be wider (7mm vs ~7.8mm with a .71x speedbooster).

For landscapes, you don't care about wide aperture, right? Or are you doing astro?

Note the 4/3 Oly ZD 7-14 f4 is considerably cheaper than the m.ZD.

Barry

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you mean the Tokina 11-20mm f2.8? Can't find a Tamron lens with those specs. Assuming so, It's going to be a $1200 combo since the speedbooster is $650. AF will be slow, but should be accurate. Softness and vignetting may be an issue since APS-C lenses on a .71x speedbooster don't quite cover the sensor.

I think it is a poor alternative to the 7-14mm f2.8 on most accounts.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, I'd say that sharpness across the frame will suffer compared to native M4/3 options like the Oly 7-14/2.8 or the Panasonic 7-14/f4 which is quite affordable now (cheaper than a focal reducer + 11-20/2.8). The Panasonic in particular will be 430g lighter, which isn't nothing, if that matters to you.

That said, if you're doing astro specifically, the Tokina 11-20/2.8 + Speedbooster looks like a very nice option, as you'l have an extra stop of speed, the coma performance seems to be quite good, and you will actually have a mechanically linked focus dial, so you can just mark infinity (when you've found the exact spot on your specific adapter and camera body) rather than having to fuss the way we do with native focus-by-wire lenses.

5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    SpeedBooster experiences with EF lenses and autofocus

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You might want to change the title (Tamron -> Tokina).

Anyhow, I have the combo - SpeedBooster 0.71x + Tokina 11-20/2.8. For the most part it's very sharp. In fact, corners are better than my 12-40/2.8 at shared focal lengths, even wide open. Center is uniformly good. The main areas of optical weakness are lateral CAs at the long end (automatically correctable in Lightroom or similar applications) and vignetting at the wide end. The vignetting goes away by 12mm (8.5mm) or so. It's also not a great lens to shoot directly into light (flare).

Autofocus is accurate, but a bit noisy and somewhat slow, and it requires one to place the focus point over an area with good contrast in order to lock on.

I haven't personally tried the 7-14/2.8, but I strongly suspect that it is no better than the 11-20/2.8 in terms of sharpness at least from 8.5mm onward. The 7-14/2.8 is doing a huge amount of distortion correction at the edges of the frame, and that really tends to limit sharpness. The 7-14/2.8 is a bit lighter (~20g), and has weather-sealing, but it doesn't take filters.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Tokina. If your shooting is not of the rapid fire-and-forget variety, I think it's an excellent alternative to the Olympus 7-14/2.8, and frankly I don't think the Olympus is worth the nearly $800 more (the Tokina was ~$400 over Christmas, and the SpeedBooster I had planned to get for several other lenses as well).

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. brianc1959

brianc1959 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Brian Caldwell
    Is your autofocus observation with the EM-1, or with a different camera?

8. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Great! Are you willing to share some photos taken with the combo? I'm curious how the images come out.

Reason I don't want to get the panasonic 7-14 is that I'm using an oly body, and I read that that lens renders some weird purple artifacts indoors or at night (cityscapes). I know there's a work around, but it just seems like a lot of hassle to do it that way.

Another thing - I've seen a review on youtube for Zhongyi (Mitakon) lens turbo II for MFT (if was in Polish, so I had to use cc). The guy showed samples where it seems even this inexpensive focal reducer actually sharpens the image a little bit, and at least does not degrade it. So my thought was to get this combo - Tokina 11-16 or 11-20 and a lens turbo II, which would run around 550$, pretty affordable in general. The metabones adapter + lens combo is less attractive as it'll run close to a 1000$, at that point i'd just get oly 7-14 i think.

One thing I'm not clear is - if the Lens Turbo II for either canon or nikon allows aperture control. Seems canon version might not. I'm waiting for a response on their website from an admin on that issue.

9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Hi Brian - yes this is on the E-M1. Although to be honest, I've not seen that much of a difference between that and my E-M5 (original mk1 version). And to be fair, as long as the contrast is there, even on the E-M5 it focuses at least as fast as my old 4/3 12-60.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'll try to get something posted in the next day or two. Are you interesting daytime or nighttime stuff? Landscapes or interiors?

IMO, if your main concern with the Panasonic 7-14 is the purple artifacts, I think the mod. for rear gelatin filters is probably a more convenient option than adapting. OTOH if you want the extra two stops of speed (or front filters), the Tokina is a very good choice.

One thing to think about is whether you'll be adapting other EF mount lenses. I agree that $650 for the SpeedBooster is a big chunk of change upfront, but if you're expecting to use 2 or 3 lenses, it's easier to digest (also - not having autofocus is bigger problem for me with longer lenses).

11. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Hi! I'm very interested in landscape stuff for now. I live in a pretty scenic place, with some mountains and many lakes, and I want to take photos when I go to hikes. But if you have any other photos to share, interior, city scapes, I'd be happy to check them out :)

Purple fringes are basically my main concern, because the lens itself seems to be fantastic. But some extra light is also good, so I think it's not a bad option either way.

I know Canon lenses are a pain to adapt without speedboosters, so i thought I could get the nikon mount Tokina, the Lens Turbo II offers aperture control for nikon. But I haven't ruled out the speedbooster yet, because I have a helios 44-2 which I'd love to adapt with a focal reducer too, and easier to do with canon mounts. One thing though - it wasn't clear to me on their website, the Canon to MFT speedbooster, say the newer Ultra, does it have AF control? Because I saw two different models, the speedboosters (which didn't mention AF in the description), and the smart adapters, which didn't have the focal reduction. I had an impression that they do not actually have focal reduction adapters with AF? Or am I mistaken?

12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Almost all of the Metabones EF to m4/3 adapters with electronic contacts share the features (only some of the very first versions for EF to E-mount (sony) do not).

I'm using an older version of the speedbooster which isn't sold anymore and it still has autofocus/aperture etc, the newer Ultra versions have an updated/more advanced reducer design (it's hard to believe that you can get better, mine is a solid performer with a good lens infront of it).

From other peoples experience the Gel filter mod almost completely fixes this, it involves putting a Wratten 2A (a 1A or 2E might work also, generally just a strong UV filter) behind the rear element which blocks UV light. The purple blobs are actually UV light which has reflected around the lens due to the coatings, Panasonic cameras generally have a much stronger hot mirror filter which doesn't leak UV and thus avoid this issue.
    It's not confined to this lens either, the Sigma Art 30mm f1.4 seemed to be pretty uncorrected in the UV range and showed defocused purple blobs around light sources with heavy UV (cheap LED and street lights) for me. I almost always ran a 2A with it as it improved the contrast and purple blob issues.

Edit:
    The latest update (a few days ago) was aimed at bodies with contrast AF (E-M5), if you haven't already update and see if it improves the speed. I noticed a reasonable improvement with the 50-150mm on E-M1 at the long end (better in low light, less hunting) however in testing I couldn't tell much difference with other lenses so it might just be confirmation bias.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  13. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I love what metabones do as a company, they truly make amazing products. I might pick one up in future as seems it just opens so many possibilities in terms of lenses for my em1. However right now I don't want to spent too much, I think for landscapes manual focus should do fine for me (I have no issues with 12mm samyang), and I might just get a dumb m42 to nikon adapter for my helios since I was planning to mainly use it as a portrait lens. I want to thank you for a heap of great information though, and great advices. Before purchasing anything I will check the Panasonic fix.

14. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Was wondering if you'd have a chance to post some images with that combo? I'm very curious :)

15. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sorry, been a bad week for photos. Let me see if I can figure out something tomorrow morning.

16. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    No worries! Thanks :)

17. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Another question for you sir :) I've just noticed (i'm very observational) that the metabones website states that the speedbooster does not support the EF-S lenses. How then people use tokina's with it, since those are aps-c designed lenses? I read somewhere that third party manufacturers do not actually use EF-S mount and instead use the EF mount, is that the reason why aps-c lenses work with speedboosters?

18. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    btw, i'm actually eyeballing another lens now as well, the samyang 10mm 2.8 looks very good, and since it has the manual aperture maybe I can get a canon focal reducer to use my helios with it as well (with a simple m42 - canon ring). But that lens is also ef-s, basically that's when I've noticed those mounts are actually different.

19. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    EF-S only matters with Canon branded lenses (they have a rubber ring which intrudes further into the mirrorbox), off branded lenses are normally EF despite only covering APS-C.

I believe there was a thread with someone who was using the 10mm with good results (I recall it as I mistook the lens for an FF form, rather than the APS-C one), I'll try and find it in a bit.

20. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Thank you! That would be most helpful. I quite like the combo on paper, very wide, and very fast. And also will give me manual aperture which I wouldn't get with lens turbo with another lens. Another benefit would be the ability to use my helios with the lens turbo too with a simple m42 to canon adapter that costs peanuts.