Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X PRO DX AF

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by David Tait, May 16, 2011.

1. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Does anyone know if this lens can be used with m/43. I'm looking for something wider than my Oly 14-42 to go on my EP-2. I would be thinking of buying a Canon fit since I have an EF adapter. That way I could use the lens on both the EP-2 and my Canon DSLR. The appeal of this lens is the F2.8 wide open, so important for my night shots.

Dave T.
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm guessing no aperture control. If you'll always be at 2.8, then it shouldn't matter.

What about the Oly 9-18? Of course, then you can't use it on the Canon, but my guess is the 11-16 is big and heavy (I had the Tokina 11-22 and that was heavy. The 11-16 will be a bigger piece of glass still). I'm not sure I'd carry around a lens that size with my m43 body. May as well just bring the DSLR body too.
  3. slapula

slapula New to Mu-43

May 7, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    WT21 is correct. No aperture ring on my Nikon version. The lens itself is also quite stocky. The weight isn't bad when you have an equally stocky camera behind it... but I'd be a little nervous mounting it on my light E-pl2
  4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I tried this lens in Nikon F mount on my G1 with a Novoflex adapter. The Novoflex adapter allows stopping down, although uncalibrated. You can get an idea of the actual aperture by looking at the light meter in the camera while stopping down. Performance was not bad on the G1, this lens was the best of all the wide-angles I've had on the Nikon D300s, better than the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 and Nikkor 12-24/4. However, I didn't like its handling on the G1 at all, it's way too front-heavy and completely out-of-balance on the camera; on the Nikon D300s handling was fine for me.

I sold it when I realized that my GH2 + 7-14mm is about as heavy as the 11-16mm on its own, not to mention the much more accurate focussing, so that's my wide-angle option for now.
  5. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    I have the tokina 28-80 and 80-200 mm f2.8 (full frame) pro version. They weight as much if not more than a Pro Nikon body made of magnesium. Tokina makes heavy lenses!

But they are such sweet lenses.
  6. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks guys.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it is back to the drawing board with this one. Multi functional usage was the attraction here, used on a DSLR Canon and the Pen. But, no stopping down on the EP-2?

F2/8 was wanted for night street shots. But, the ability for wide angle landscape and architecture, plus indoor shots means a range of manual apertures are also needed if, I get what will be an adapted lens.

The Oly 9mm is ok except for the f4.5 feature. F2/8 or smaller, is a must. Maybe I'll wait to see what the Oly 12mm will be like, although ideally 11mm or 10mm would have been preferred. I have the Oly 14-42. The extra cost for an additional 2mm gained on a 12mm might be the deal breaker.

Dave T.