To whoever mentioned Enfuse: THANK YOU!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by zathras, Nov 9, 2014.

1. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I read on a thread here that I can't now find that Enfuse was a good LR plugin for natural looking HDRs. I have recently been struggling to produce natural looking results from my HDR efforts - all I want is to lift shadows and pull down highlights, I don't want the HDR look. I tried it out, and it's amazing, just what I am looking for! I am going back through and reprocessing all my HDRs and the results are so much better, with just one click. To say I am excited is somewhat of an understatement

Thanks so much to whoever that was that suggested it!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    I'm going to have to look into this. Looks promising. :)
  3. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Same here — my thanks to that poster!
  4. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    I tested several HDR software with awful results.
    I tried to tweak the settings and the results stayed poor.

With LR/Enfuse, there are not many settings (in fact there is one: hard mask or no hard mask) and you cannot preview the output, but the results are very pleasing.
    It takes benefit of the multiple exposure, and it stays natural.
    It's quick and efficient.
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Sounds interesting. Might check it out.
  6. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    My experience mirrors SojiOkita's
  7. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    I tried this plugin for lightroom a year ago and never really understood it. The interface seemed difficult and hard to understand. But after your words here I must go back and see what I did wrong. And the funny part is that im not even close to be a newbie in software and computers.. :)
  8. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    There seems to be various guides and screencasts you can look at. It does look confusing at first but I have been using it for a couple days and it's starting to make sense. I did notice I get better results if I don't include the extreme exposures on either end of the bracket.
  9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks for the post. It's news to me. :2thumbs:
  10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, Enfuse is a great plug-in for LR, delivering much better "HDR" results than what a lot of other software is capable of delivering. My typical workflow for using the software is something along the lines of:

1. Shoot either a 3 shot ( -1 0 +1) or 5 shot (-2 -1 0 +1 +2) series
    2. Make adjustments to the raw files (NO shadow/highlight corrections, only NR, sharpening, color, etc.).
    3. Run the files through Enfuse, export file as a TIFF
    4. Open the TIFF file in LR and adjust the shadows/highlights as needed.

It takes a bit of time, but the result is a much more pleasing photograph (IMO)
  11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have been using Lightroom with HDR Efex Pro 2 - however I do it with a twist.

The last year instead of using 3-5 different photos I have been taking one photo and making virtual copies (all RAW) +/- 1-2 EV and combining them. That has allowed me to get more life-like HDR and it also eliminates the artifacts that are often generated due to the slight variations in the photos themselves.
    • Like Like x 1