To watermark or not to watermark

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 13thFloorPhotography, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I recently saw this youtube video regarding watermarking an image. The general consensus from the panel is that they don't like watermarking an image. What do you do when you share your work online? I still don't know where I stand on this and having been a "victim" (and I use that word very loosely) of having my work re-used, cropped with no credit, I am leaning towards watermarking. I would like to open this to all for a different perspective

Here's the link to the video:
    [ame=""]Trey's Variety Hour #81: Reasons FOR and AGAINST Watermarks - with Miss Aniela and Thomas Hawk - YouTube[/ame]
  2. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    I watermark all my images using cs6 and usually alter the opacity to around 10% so it is difficult to see so does not spoil the image but would be very hard to remove, I have had my images used and have a friend in Ireland who had his image used in a competition and the person who stole his image won the competition there is a court case at the moment so because of this as well as watermarking I make the image small, if someone wants to take and use it for a cd cover fair enough but it will have my name through it
  3. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    Watermarks are ridiculously lame. Don't even bother sharing a photo if you're gong to ruin it with some horrendous logo. I don't bother to give watermarked photos attention. Does it really matter if some yahoo uses your photo in their blog that get 22 views a week? Eff that... Sharing your art should be you priority, not notoriety.
  4. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Very interesting perspectives. I would love to get more feedback from others.

Just as a note. The company who took some of my work was a well established organization. Either way, I feel that some watermarks can ruin a photo and take away from an overall look.

I am leaning more and more towards not watermarking, but cases like the one above make me sway to the other side of the spectrum
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010