To Voigtlander or not to?

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well...I bit that bullet, figuring I won't lose if I resell it. AUD$665 including postage. I think the reason it hadn't sold was the misspelling as 'Voightlander'.

I guess it's too late for my opinion, but I'll share it nonetheless: I too was tempted by the Voigtlander lenses, but I decided to "invest" in old manual adapted lenses instead. Mainly for the cost, for less than half the price of the Voigtlander I have a Canon 58/1.2, Minolta 58/1.4, Minolta 50/1.4 and other old junk. And they all take pretty decent photos, so no regrets there. Anyway, just my two cents. :biggrin:

Looking forward to your photos, hope you love the lens!

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I guess it's too late for my opinion, but I'll share it nonetheless: I too was tempted by the Voigtlander lenses, but I decided to "invest" in old manual adapted lenses instead. Mainly for the cost, for less than half the price of the Voigtlander I have a Canon 58/1.2, Minolta 58/1.4, Minolta 50/1.4 and other old junk. And they all take pretty decent photos, so no regrets there. Anyway, just my two cents. :biggrin:

Looking forward to your photos, hope you love the lens!
Totally hear you. The 'problem' I had with adapted lenses was getting a very fast approximately 50mm equivalent - it's a topic I've read a lot about. The 25mm is, for me, my 'safest' option in such an expensive prime!

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Totally hear you. The 'problem' I had with adapted lenses was getting a very fast approximately 50mm equivalent - it's a topic I've read a lot about. The 25mm is, for me, my 'safest' option in such an expensive prime!
I agree. Finding a fast 24mm legacy lens is not easy, and not cheap.

Melanie - congrats on the acquisition. Post us some examples from it!

acnomad

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Andy
@melanieylang, it’s probably much too late to add any usable opinion, so I’ll just say this:

Congrats on the decision and enjoy!

I’ve recently “rediscovered” micro 4/3 and really find myself liking using adapted MF glass once again. I hope your experience is equally good.

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's here, it arrived in its enormous, original box, and boyohboy is it a lovely thing! I love it.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
First go, out in the wild...you folks sure weren't kidding about the glow, it was still glowing stopped down. (Shooting aperture priority.) I'm going to have to work a bit harder to nail this, but at least the manual focus felt completely natural, even without focus peaking - even if I didn't actually hit it!

This plant is a pincushion hakea, native to some other part of Australia; I have a few growing in my yard, and it's one of the few things blooming now (early winter). These photos responded reasonably well to some tuning with Snapseed app in my phone.

dunsun

Mu-43 Rookie
I agree mostly with pdk. Heavy, softish wide open, expensive. It's been years since I used one, but I am pretty certain I remember stopping down to 1.4 to get results I liked, negating it's advantage over the PL25.

The PL25/1.4 can get you a lot of the way there with a much smaller price, and lighter weight. If you love MF, try the Takumar 50/1.4. Different focal length, but a lot of fun for a little price, also, it's similar in weight and MF feel to the CV25/0.95, so it could help you decide. Or rent the CV as another option.
Sorry but I really can not agree.

I own both Olympus 25mm 1.2 and Nokton 17.5mm 0.95.
I did my own side by side comparisons and frankly I was really amazed how good or how close Nokton is to an Olympus PRO lens (both wide open).
Actually at 1.2 I would even say that Nokton was sharper. This is all true but you have to obey these rules:
Object has to be placed somewhere around the center.
It has to be placed in a normal shooting distance (since while you shoot close the lens produces very dreamy results, though even that can be very interesting sometimes).
It has to be focused properly.

Wide open Nokton is warmer, but once you stop it down (say to 2.8) it produces amazingly naturaly looking photos with great colors.
Once stopped down to 1.4 it is sharper than my Leica 25mm 1.4 (but yet again in a normal shooting distances).

To me it thas only 1 problem. It's large and heavy. That's why I'm thinking about selling it (and my Oly PRO as well).
I hope that Voigtlander will produce wide and much slower lens (12mm 2.8 or 10mm 2.8). You ask why ? Because I love Voigtlander rendering (colors, tones transitions, STAR BURTS EFFECT !!!!!).

I hope it was helpful.
Cheers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom